Rubbish Kia Warranty - pay to check symptom.

Options

Comments

• 14wrence
    14wrence Posts: 151 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok - so seems many people are on the side of the dealer - for the record - I bought from the dealer but when it was 2 years old. It's done 60k. It's a diesel sportage.

It does a lot of rural driving as I go across country to work. Not really urban or motorway.

I suppose I'm now pondering the cost of this diagnosis job - what do the mechanics charge there?? Let's say £50 per hour - is it really a 10 hour job? Or do they charge more like £100 per hour?

Also I may or may not be The perfect driver - that's up for debate - but this is the first clutch I've ever burnt out - and on the newest car I've ever owned - what does that say about Kia parts?
  • tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    14wrence wrote: »
    Ok - so seems many people are on the side of the dealer - for the record - I bought from the dealer but when it was 2 years old. It's done 60k. It's a diesel sportage.

It does a lot of rural driving as I go across country to work. Not really urban or motorway.

I suppose I'm now pondering the cost of this diagnosis job - what do the mechanics charge there?? Let's say £50 per hour - is it really a 10 hour job? Or do they charge more like £100 per hour?

Also I may or may not be The perfect driver - that's up for debate - but this is the first clutch I've ever burnt out - and on the newest car I've ever owned - what does that say about Kia parts?

Not a lot really as you don't know the cause yet because you refuse to pay the diagnosis fee.

Labour is likely to be a lot more than £50 per hour for a main dealer.
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    Why would you do that if Kia will pay, as I posted in post 5, they paid for mine

That's not the case here is it though if you read the OP in post 1.

In this situation, Kia are demanding £500 for diagnostics to see whether it is down to wear and tear or mechanical failure. Personally, I'd rather pay for a garage to fit a new clutch for £600 than pay £500 and risk having to pay for a new clutch to be fitted on top of that.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I bought from the dealer but when it was 2 years old. It's done 60k. It's a diesel sportage.

this is the first clutch I've ever burnt out - and on the newest car I've ever owned - what does that say about Kia parts?

Presumably someone else had the opportunity to continually slip the clutch pulling away in too high a gear for two years before you got it?

As suggested above, get a complete clutch fitted at your garage.

At 60,000 miles it will be wear and tear and kia will charge you the price of a kidney or two to supply and replace.

Warranties only cover unexpected things like spontaneous combustion or them not welding the body so it drops in half.

No warranty in the world covers stuff wearing out (except that "brake pads for life" offer, where you get your new brakepads free, but have to pay £300 for new brake disks every time or they won't fit them)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Jackmydad wrote: »
    AS others have said, it's not a small job to get at the clutch on most modern cars. And they're considered to be wear and tear parts.
    One point is that normally the job is mostly labour, a clutch kit is going to be £100 (for the sake of argument could be more or less)
    So how do they get another £600 to fit a new clutch when most of the work is already done?
    Well they have to spend all that time it took taking it apart putting everything back together.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    debtdebt wrote: »
    In this situation, Kia are demanding £500 for diagnostics to see whether it is down to wear and tear or mechanical failure. Personally, I'd rather pay for a garage to fit a new clutch for £600 than pay £500 and risk having to pay for a new clutch to be fitted on top of that.
    You're forgetting the value of the four remaining years of warranty. While this particular fault is quite likely to not be covered, due to wear, once a non-franchise dealer takes the gearbox out, you can bet that a large swathe of future claims are going to be easily deniable.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 29 June 2017 at 1:23PM
    Options
    wongataa wrote: »
    Well they have to spend all that time it took taking it apart putting everything back together.
    So they're charging £500 to just take it apart and leave it totally useless?
    OK it'd be pointless putting the old clutch back, and no sensible person would do that even if it wasn't much worn, but £500 - £600 should cover the whole job even at a main dealer I'd have thought. Depends on the model of course.
    Is the OP certain that the price isn't £500 to pull it apart and put it back together, or £600 to include the parts for a clutch replacement.
  • Glover1862
    Glover1862 Posts: 410 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Speak to the Kia dealer and say replace the clutch, get a price, don't think it will be £1100.00, closer to £600 I think. Say to the dealer, before they fit the new clutch you want to inspect the old one and would applicate if the could say at that point if failure or W&T, depending on the result take it from there, that way they know they'll get paid either way and you've not wasted £500 on inspection, if it's failure they it covered. I did this Vauxhall and dealer didn't even contact me just replaced under warranty as he could see it's no worn.
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options

Sorry, this made me laugh. It's nothing to do with whose side people are on. We're not in the playground here.

It's to do with what is reasonable. Since you didn't buy the car new, has it not crossed your mind that parts like the clutch might have suffered just a teeny tiny bit of wear in the hands of the previous owner? Regardless of how good a driver you might think you are, how can you assume that a part has failed when you don't know how the first owner(s) treated that part?

You need to take a look at this from an objective position and put all the 'I'm so wronged, woe is me' emotion to one side for a minute.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Ok - so seems many people are on the side of the dealer - for the record - I bought from the dealer but when it was 2 years old. It's done 60k.
    How many miles when you bought it? It could well be that the clutch was almost worn out by the first owner, and the perfectly normal wear you've given it has taken it to the edge.

60k certainly rules out a manufacturing issue.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback