We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Front garden finally finished - only took 9 1/2 years!

Comments

• Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,010 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Hello,

I am so pleased as I have finally finished my front garden. It has taken so long with lots of back breaking work, but all of the paths are in and everything is planted up and it looks lovely.

Just some of the back garden to finish now :rotfl:

Anyone else working on a garden project and if so how are you getting on?

spider

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4656475 not so much a project yet, more of a 'wait and see what pops up' type thing so far. As it's obviously been planted up and cared for at some point I'm finding it interesting to see what's there. So far the hits have been black elder, old roses, lots of little flowers, poppies, thistles and snow in summer. Misses are the blooming hostas (so very big and so very eaten with such little pleasure) ditto the many many ferns and the truly giant fennel.

My neighbour is a gardener and is doing some casual irregular work in it, trimming the wild bushes, removing weeds and ferns etc and keeping the grass mown. Next year is when the 'project' will start as the lawn will have to be lifted.

From never having had a garden at all for over forty years to suddenly having this wonderful space is a real joy.

Well done on your hard work and perseverance over the years. Hope you enjoy sitting in the fruits of your labour.
  • Gers wrote: »
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4656475 not so much a project yet, more of a 'wait and see what pops up' type thing so far. As it's obviously been planted up and cared for at some point I'm finding it interesting to see what's there. So far the hits have been black elder, old roses, lots of little flowers, poppies, thistles and snow in summer. Misses are the blooming hostas (so very big and so very eaten with such little pleasure) ditto the many many ferns and the truly giant fennel.

My neighbour is a gardener and is doing some casual irregular work in it, trimming the wild bushes, removing weeds and ferns etc and keeping the grass mown. Next year is when the 'project' will start as the lawn will have to be lifted.

From never having had a garden at all for over forty years to suddenly having this wonderful space is a real joy.

Well done on your hard work and perseverance over the years. Hope you enjoy sitting in the fruits of your labour.

I have been following your wall-garden thread for some time. It is a lovely space for a garden. Black elders are lovely, but they do grow quite big.
  • Some pictures of the front garden as promised.

imagejpg1-2.jpg

imagejpg6.jpg

imagejpg2.jpg

..and one of part of the back garden too.

imagejpg4.jpg
  • Gers
    Fabulous pictures. Thanks for sharing them. Love the blue flowers especially, I hope to grow cornflowers and irises too.

Really hope you enjoy spending time in the garden now it's sorted.

As for my black elder, it's due a hair cut as is the very large pink thing in the middle of the garden. It's on the list!
    Fabulous pictures. Thanks for sharing them. Love the blue flowers especially, I hope to grow cornflowers and irises too.

Really hope you enjoy spending time in the garden now it's sorted.

As for my black elder, it's due a hair cut as is the very large pink thing in the middle of the garden. It's on the list!

The purple / blue flowers are Scabious 'Blue Jeans'. The large, pink thing in your garden is a Buddleja. I have three in my garden. The smell wonderful (you have to get up quite close and have a good sniff). They are known as the butterfly bush and are great for wildlife.
  • Gers
    The purple / blue flowers are Scabious 'Blue Jeans'. The large, pink thing in your garden is a Buddleja. I have three in my garden. The smell wonderful (you have to get up quite close and have a good sniff). They are known as the butterfly bush and are great for wildlife.

Thanks. I'll get some of those lovely flowers when I see them.

Interesting about the pink buddleja as my gardener has labelled it something different. Have to agree it does look like a buddleja. I went out to look at the label but it is right in the middle of the bush and it was pouring down so I did jump into it! Am not back home until Friday so will look then.

At least the pouring rain over Saturday and Sunday gave all the plants a good old drink as the weather has been unusually baking hot during the week.
  • JethroUK
    JethroUK Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    Hello,

I am so pleased as I have finally finished my front garden. It has taken so long with lots of back breaking work, but all of the paths are in and everything is planted up and it looks lovely.

Just some of the back garden to finish now :rotfl:

Anyone else working on a garden project and if so how are you getting on?

spider

9 1/2 years and you finished already!!! :eek:

Ive been here over 30 years and my garden still not finished
    When will the "Edit" and "Quote" button get fixed on the mobile web interface?
  • Gers
    Gers wrote: »
    Thanks. I'll get some of those lovely flowers when I see them.

Interesting about the pink buddleja as my gardener has labelled it something different. Have to agree it does look like a buddleja. I went out to look at the label but it is right in the middle of the bush and it was pouring down so I did jump into it! Am not back home until Friday so will look then.

Had a look (neighbour had cut back the old wood) and now think it's actually two different plants. A good old delve showed two trunks and different leaf shapes. So, I think now that one is the buddleja and the other needs more investigation.
    Had a look (neighbour had cut back the old wood) and now think it's actually two different plants. A good old delve showed two trunks and different leaf shapes. So, I think now that one is the buddleja and the other needs more investigation.

Post a pic of the 'other one' here to see if anyone can identify the plant for you.
  • Gers
    Post a pic of the 'other one' here to see if anyone can identify the plant for you.

Here's one with three different leaves - on the right is definitely a buddjela but it didn't flower this year. The other two comprise the bush I posted up earlier.

[IMG][/img]Garden1.jpg

I hope that someone can identify the two plants.

Here's another view of the two plants which shows more clearly the differences.

Garden3.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport