Cash advice for 5 month USA Trip

Comments

• Icequeen99 wrote: »
    Completely unrelated to your question, but the trip sounds fantastic. How have you got around the 90 day visa-waiver limit? Did you apply for a visa and if so which one? (considering a similar trip so just wondered)

IQ

We did apply for a VISA, its the tourist one. There is a fairly lengthy form to fill out and a fee of circa £150, you then get an interview at the American Embassy. We were told at the interview we had been successful, we then had to wait 2 weeks to get our passports back with the VISA attached inside. We thought we were applying for a one year VISA, but when we looked they last for 10 years.

It took about 6 weeks from start to finish, but I would leave a lot longer than that because they warn that it can take up to a few months.
  • malky39
    malky39 Posts: 700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Richie_D wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone who has replied. It seems we have a clear winner with the Halifax card.

As its a creditcard wouldn't there big charges for cash withdrawals though?

Just the interest on it from when you take it out, to keep it at its lowest just pay it off as soon as you can after withdrawing it.

Or open a nationwide flex direct account and get one of there credit cards. Use the debit card for cash and credit for everything else
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    malky39 wrote: »
    Just the interest on it from when you take it out, to keep it at its lowest just pay it off as soon as you can after withdrawing it.

Or open a nationwide flex direct account and get one of there credit cards. Use the debit card for cash and credit for everything else

Strange advice. I think that you have made a mistake with it.

Debit card charges 2% and only the Select CC doesn't charge for purchases.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,314 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    malky39 wrote: »
    Strange advice. I think that you have made a mistake with it.

Debit card charges 2% and only the Select CC doesn't charge for purchases.

There are charges for withdrawing cash with Flex direct account, but the Flex Plus is fee free for cash withdrawals.
    http://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/travel/fees-charges#xtab:fees
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    If you 'play your cards right' you should not really need that much cash even for such a long trip.
    The only people that don't take cards are drug dealers and beggars, everyone else will accept a credit card, even for tips.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,134 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    If you 'play your cards right' you should not really need that much cash even for such a long trip.
    The only people that don't take cards are drug dealers and beggars, everyone else will accept a credit card, even for tips.
    You've been to very different parts of the States to me then! I find it much the same as here, most shops will take cards but markets, fairs, street vendors, small scale sporting events & small town local businesses & museums like real money.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • NiftyDigits
    There are charges for withdrawing cash with Flex direct account, but the Flex Plus is fee free for cash withdrawals.
    http://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/travel/fees-charges#xtab:fees

I know that, but they didn't write FlexPlus(which costs £10 per month). They wrote FlexDirect and they didn't specify which credit card.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,314 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I know that, but they didn't write FlexPlus(which costs £10 per month). They wrote FlexDirect and they didn't specify which credit card.

Yes, I know, I just wondered if previous poster was getting Flex Direct and Flex Plus muddled.

(And I found the monthly cost of Flex Plus was easily offset by the included travel insurance and monthly interest payments :) )
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • NiftyDigits
    Having a Revolut card as a back up won't hurt. Sometimes you might not want to walk around with your main cards.
    Virgin Money Essential account offers a VISA card, though is best for purchases, as it has a £1.50 ATM withdrawal charge abroad.
    Always good to have a few options.
  • NiftyDigits
    Yes, I know, I just wondered if previous poster was getting Flex Direct and Flex Plus muddled.

(And I found the monthly cost of Flex Plus was easily offset by the included travel insurance and monthly interest payments :) )

I thought about that too, but the FlexPlus TI won't be applicable on a five month trip, so would be a waste of money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure