Cheapest Home Phones Article Discussion

Comments

• I signed up with Talktalk a couple of months ago when they were doing a free connection offer, unfortunately their computers were down so I had to go back after the offer had finished but they agreed to honour the £30 credit for connection. All seemed fine, very good communication, the modem etc arrived, the date was set and it all happened as promised very smoothly..aha not as smoothly as I thought! Firstly, I got a call from someone in India asking for my credit/debit card details to pay the first bill as the direct debit had not been set up in time. I refused as I am not completely stupid and do not give my credit/debit card details to ANYONE who calls me especially from India. I suggested they take the debit the next month but they said they could not do that, I offered to pay in another way and eventually asked to speak to the manager as the caller was threatening me with no service. The manager agreed I could send a cheque, the amount included the £30 connection fee, when I queried this I was told there was no credit on my account. Eventually I went into the local Carphone Warehouse and they took my payment in cash and credited me with the £30. When I got the next bill it had £2.42 in calls but I was being billed for £3.25 which even with VAT did not make sense. I emailed them and they ignored my question and confirmed my calls bill was £3.25...not what I was asking so this is not resolved. I may just have been unlucky and in comparison to some stories feel I have been lucky with relatively little hassle. On the plus side I have saved a lot of money by signing up and I would do ANYTHING not to have to deal with BT!
  • jeannie_1
    jeannie_1 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Claret wrote: »
    MSE_Archna wrote: »
    articlealert.gif

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply
    [I have been with TalkTalk for about 9 months and have had a lousy broadband signal/speed for the most part. I live only 1.7K from the exchange and yet have been getting less than 0.5mb at it's worst for the past 5 months! I am now seriously looking for another provider. Rarely use the phone except in the evenings, any suggestions?]
  • jeannie_1
    jeannie_1 Posts: 25 Forumite
    When we started with Tiscali over 12 months ago we were p[aying £24.99 per month.
    We asked to go on this cheap rate - £14.99 all in (same privelages as before - free w/e callsetc. + broadband). We could and the £30 initial payment would be waived as we were an existing Tiscali customer.

We still pay £24.99 per month - after qerying this we were told that our Xchange needed upgrading but until it was done (will be done within the next 12 months we were told) they would give us a consession and instead of £10.99 per month for line rental it would be £8.99.
    However, we still end up paying around £24.00 per month.

We cannot find out when our Haworth (Yorkshire) exchange will be done.

We get 0.54mb at present but must admit it is quicker than a friend in Wyke (Yorkshire) who is on the £14.99 package, getting 7.5mbs.

Thing is my hubby plays WOW most of the time (he's disabled) and worries there may be problems if we change provider.
  • I currently pay line rental to BT for a business line. I would like to move this service to BT residential line rental because of the potential savings.

However, I've been told by BT that my 'free entry' into my local YELL pages business directory requires a 'business telephone number' to be quoted and switching service will jeopardise my listing.

Im skeptical, since many people have mobile numbers or their home phone numbers listed.

Can anyone shed some light? Perhaps it's worth contacting YELL to confirm?

Thanks
  • spam48
    spam48 Posts: 3 Newbie
    I can now confirm that Euphony did not properly inform customers about the change to per minute billing on calls to mobiles. They say that they made the changes to fall in line with their competitors, such as BT, & admit that it is a money-making decision. They defend this decision by saying that, as long as their terms & conditions are up to date and they guide customers to their website they are within their rights to do this. They admit that this particularly affects customers making short calls lasting a few seconds, which will now be rounded up to the nearest minute. I will be taking this further.
  • jhp
    jhp Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    spam48 wrote: »
    I can now confirm that Euphony did not properly inform customers about the change to per minute billing on calls to mobiles. They say that they made the changes to fall in line with their competitors, such as BT, & admit that it is a money-making decision. They defend this decision by saying that, as long as their terms & conditions are up to date and they guide customers to their website they are within their rights to do this. They admit that this particularly affects customers making short calls lasting a few seconds, which will now be rounded up to the nearest minute. I will be taking this further.

If you dont like them leave them and go to a cheaper supplier.;)
  • Bufflowbill
    Bufflowbill Posts: 381 Forumite
    If your thinking of taking the cheap Tiscali offer. Heres a list of their call charges.

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/talk/call-plans.pdf
  • allan673
    allan673 Posts: 1,213
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    my 18 month contract has just run out with talk talk, they have been ringing the house about loyalty offers? (its in my girlfriends name - wont discuss it with me, they ask for her)
    are they doing any deals for existing customers that you know of, we pay around £21 per month for line rental, 24/7 free uk calls and broadband.
    weve not had any problems really, other than the broadband not working for a day or so a few months ago?
    just wondered if there were any similar deals elsewhere, i do not have sky so thats not an option.

should i call there bluff and say were thinking of leaving to see what they come up with? but i dont really want another 18 month contract incase we fancy a change in the future.

cheers
  • billsavings
    billsavings Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    allan673 wrote: »
    my 18 month contract has just run out with talk talk, they have been ringing the house about loyalty offers? (its in my girlfriends name - wont discuss it with me, they ask for her)
    are they doing any deals for existing customers that you know of, we pay around £21 per month for line rental, 24/7 free uk calls and broadband.
    weve not had any problems really, other than the broadband not working for a day or so a few months ago?
    just wondered if there were any similar deals elsewhere, i do not have sky so thats not an option.

should i call there bluff and say were thinking of leaving to see what they come up with? but i dont really want another 18 month contract incase we fancy a change in the future.

cheers

The current deal you are on is pretty good,if you really need 24/7 geographical calls. If you change your tariiff they will normally expect you to sign up for another 18 months.A list of their current deals can be found here
    http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/servlet/gben-server-PageServer?article=MAIN.UK.TALKTALK.STATIC.BROADBAND.TABLE. I have no doubt that they will have some loyalty deals that can beat these.:D
  • wildbri
    wildbri Posts: 218 Forumite
    \I have used Tiscali for a few years, it works ok but I dont think it should be called best buy, has most people cant get the line rental included deal, I would think the Talk Talk deal was the best buy and as soon as they do a free connection deal I will be off to join them...........unless someone knows why I shouldn't .......regards bri
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback