Smart Meters - Ask me anything!

Options

Comments

• Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I read my own meters, then I send the results to my supplier by email. What could be simpler? Why do I need one of these meters?

The last government "estimate" I read for the cost of rolling out the things, was £11 Billion. And counting, probably. The suppliers are supposedly paying for this, after which they will pass on the cost in consumer prices. How can anyone possibly say that there may not be any increase in energy prices, as a result? Everything has to be paid for, usually by the poor suffering British public.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »
    I read my own meters, then I send the results to my supplier by email. What could be simpler? Why do I need one of these meters?

The last government "estimate" I read for the cost of rolling out the things, was £11 Billion. And counting, probably. The suppliers are supposedly paying for this, after which they will pass on the cost in consumer prices. How can anyone possibly say that there may not be any increase in energy prices, as a result? Everything has to be paid for, usually by the poor suffering British public.

Have YOU any idea how much comparison websites take out of the industry. They take so much money they can afford to give me £120 cashback in the last couple of years alone. Re Nationalise the Utilities and run them properly and stop the millions lost to theft of energy and we would all be paying much much less. And of course, make smart meters obligatory and we ve cracked it !
  • Sterlingtimes
    Options
    Can you log on or connect to the smart meter via wireless to upload the data to your pc?

If the standalone energy monitor can receive the data and display it, it must be sending out this data. Why can I not receive/monitor it on my own device (assuming software is available to interpret the data).

As I posted earlier, Ovo has provided precisely this facility. The meter data is received wirelessly from the Smart Meters by a little box, the Smart Gateway. The Smart Gateway is plugged by ethernet into one's router. Ovo displays the real time data for both gas and electricity via its MyOvo portal, but also retains the history which is displayed via various graphs.

Example:

161005_ovo_smart_gateway.gif
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • Sterlingtimes
    Options
    Can you log on or connect to the smart meter via wireless to upload the data to your pc?

Here's my picture:

150719_ovo_smart_setup.jpg
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • OPENSPACES
    Options
    I transferred to "collective Fix ?" in Feb in July BG fitted smart meter. To me the info displayed did not make sense, so I rang helpline. They said it sounds faulty will replace. Engineer turned and I said look at this does it make sense to you? No he said. Eventually after 10 phone calls someone told him that smart meters don't work with non BG tariffs. Why fit it then I asked and was met with a shrugging of shoulders
  • OPENSPACES
    Options
    I transferred to "collective Fix ?" in Feb, in July BG fitted smart meter. To me the info displayed did not make sense, so I rang helpline. They said it sounds faulty will replace. Engineer turned and I said look at this does it make sense to you? No he said. Eventually after 10 phone calls someone told him that smart meters don't work with non BG tariffs. Why fit it then I asked and was met with a shrugging of shoulders
  • CashStrapped
    CashStrapped Posts: 1,294 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 October 2016 at 4:40PM
    Options
    As I posted earlier, Ovo has provided precisely this facility.......

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate the information.

However, I was also querying if one could receive the data directly from the smart meter itself. Rather than going through the rather indirect portal rout via your energy supplier.

As I said, the basic home energy monitor seems to receive the basic information directly from the smart meter. The smart meter is therefore undoubtedly sending out this data.

I appreciate that independent software may be a requisite on the PC itself. But, surly there is a way to receive this data directly to ones PC, independent of any portal.

Is there no way to log into the smart meter itself (which would be visible on your home network) as one would log into a router and directly access the data?
  • M0ney
    M0ney Posts: 494 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm going to sound like a right luddite here but I was offered one of these by British Gas this week and refused to take it because I feel that having one of these doesn't benefit me but must certainly deliver efficiency savings to British Gas and that that saving ought to be passed on, (at least in part) to me. I told him if he could knock a chunk off my tariff then I'd have one, no luck though.
  • 4legs
    4legs Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Sterlingtimes #85

So your Smart Gas Meter uses the old type Diaphram meter as the Flow sensor or is the new Smart Meter attached to your old Diaphram meter.... interesting

Oh! - does your IHD read/indicate the gas pressure after the main regulator
  • Sterlingtimes
    Sterlingtimes Posts: 2,403 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is there no way to log into the smart meter itself (which would be visible on your home network) as one would log into a router and directly access the data?

I explored this sometime ago. There are some industry insider postings at:

https://openenergymonitor.org/emon/forum

It appears that for security reasons an end customer cannot directly access the data.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure