Bathroom quote - too cheap?!

Options
Got a quote to strip out and refurbish my bathroom, but was actually expecting it to be higher. This is a plumber/plasterer who spends all his time doing bathrooms. He's got lots of photos online and his work looks decent. He expects it to take 7-10 days.

The quote is for:
- remove old suite, fittings, tiles, flooring and towel rail.
- construct/ extend the boxing wall at the end of the bath to accommodate new electric shower and extractor fan.
- hide all visible pipes into the wall
- put soil pipe into the floor to eliminate boxing in but this is subject to the floor joists running in the right direction and we are able to cut the soil pipe at a lower level.
- tiling to be done whole of the bath /shower area and a splash back only for the wall hung basin.
- ceiling to be plastered smooth and painted.
- walls to be painted.
- new architrave fitted around built in cupboard and a new cupboard door fitted.
- cupboard ceiling plastered to tidy it up and wall holes filled.
- new suite fitted and towel rail, including moving toilet to different wall and installing a wall hung basin.

Total £2900 to include all materials to do the work, plumbing, plastering and tiling and disposing of rubbish.

It doesn't include cost of suite, shower, fan, tiles, door, architrave, skirting board, paint as we are supplying those. It also doesn't include electrical labour costs or fitting flooring.

Does it look right?

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Looks pretty okay without any of the big stuff being purchased.

I say £5k is a decent starting point for a properly done bathroom, everything in.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • LittleMissAspie
    Options
    I think including the stuff we're buying and the electrical/flooring work it will indeed come in very close to £5k.

How much do you think that £2.9k is split between labour and materials? I was expecting at least £1k per week labour so I'm just worried about him using substandard materials. Or maybe those sorts of sundries don't actually cost much?
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Most of it will be labour. £2,000 for 10 days is about right. £900 for materials and a skip then.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure