NST Super September Scrimping challenge

Options

Comments

• Eager_Elephant
    Options

I think that technically is a NSD as its the shopping budget? Let me know if it's not. Will have a 20 min walk while I'm out and later do a meal plan and shopping list.

I don't want to tread on thrifty's toes but as she is away until Monday I thought I would answer.

Generally even budgeted things count as a spend day - so if you spend from the grocery budget then that is a spend however if on that shopping trip you only buy yellow stickered items then that is a NSD.

Some people vary the 'rules' slightly so if you want to count a food shop day as a NSD then you can.

We are quite free and easy here
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    LD_13 wrote: »
    Spend day today as I had to go get some cough mixture (I was driving myself nuts so can only imagine how annoying it was for my colleagues). Since I've broken a spend day I'll nip and get a calculator on the way home as I need one for college on Monday.

Just wanted to say that we don't count medical items as a spend as you cannot put a price on health and we wouldn't want anyone to not get treatment just to keep a NSD:rotfl:
  • LollyPop0312
    Options
    Morning all! Checking in .. yesterday a successful NSD so 1/18. Going for the same today as we're off to the parents so shouldn't have any spends.
    Wishing everyone a frugal spend free day!
    Lolly
  • vintagebrighton
    Options
    Fmess wrote: »
    Vintagebrighton any budgeted spends still lose you a SFD e.g. food, petrol etc. Usually direct debits or bills e.g. mortgage, council tax, election etc. and medicines are excempt as we don't want people being ill and not looking after themselves. So if you just buy medicine or pay a bill it's a SFD, anything else and it's a spendy day.

Hope that makes sense.

It does, thanks!

Check in 2/30

Doing weekly shopping today with cash withdrawn yesterday so no NSD for me (again) I guess the trick is to try and buy everything that needs buying at the same time..... I'll crack this:rotfl:

Will do a 20 minute walk. Going to the market so will come home the scenic route.

Will also now pay the council tax online as that isn't DD (see, condensing spendy days ;) )

Have guests for 2 nights this time so less work - I don't have to strip the bed and clean the room today. Changeover tomorrow.

I've seen a pattern for pretty crocheted Christmas decorations so I'm going to have a go at those. Would be really satisfying to actually finish something.

No heating - Autumn is definitely coming though.

Think that's it for now

VB x
  • dizzyblnd
    Options
    Check in 2/30.

Yesterday wasn't a nsd as I had lunch out with a friend- last of the summer. Today is a nsd tho. Dinner at in laws. Went for a run yesterday so that was my exercise. Start as I mean to go on.
    Mortgage free wannabee 2022 #82
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Lost a mega post and need to get going now. Sorry for no check in yesterday and not updated signature. Forgot to subscribe and only half way through writing out the rules. Will write this evening.

Grateful for mum's emergency eye appointment coming through, for there being nothing wrong (needs to use soothing drops in both eyes), for it being dealt with promptly and for the picnic being yesterday - they had the picnic then one (mummy) twin took her to the appointment (16 mile round trip) whilst the other took the 5 children (hers are 8yo, 5yo, 4 mth old twins, sister's is a little boy 1yo) home with her - luckily her husband had the day off. The prospect of multiple hospital visits ( what happened when they were trying to save the sight in her left eye) didn't thrill me either.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Started typing this up last night but got called away to watch the end of the Gloucester rugby match on tv (cracking end!) and never came back!

* Spends / NSDs - spent £290.88 on car mot (needed new rear brake pads) and service (inc oil change etc) As I'd spent anyway I also filled up with fuel (£38) - rumours of price rises next week, so a full tank form now should see me through the month. Also bought 2 lights for DS3's room (have been looking for some for ages - got one at mega reduced price and free p&P on the other) - total £28.89 and then a hose for DD's vacuum @ £13.49 :eek: Def not SFD!!

*Funds from paypal (flebay sales) transferred to kitchen fund :)

*You must decide on a budget for food now. £450 - nothing spent on food yesterday - but smkt shop being done today (will try and remember all bits for packed lunches for school this week!) Yesterday's use ups included the last of some YS (pence) southern fried goujons which no-one was fussed on in a wrap for lunch with hg salad. Also used hotel tea and coffee for drinks :) And topped up a handwash bottle in boys' bathroom with hotel s/ gel

* Social life/ externa; food spends - avoided Fri night takeaway by having a previously bought and frozen YS 'takeaway in a box for 2' from Tesc0 (cost us < £4 for the box which was cheaper than a takeaway curry for 2 and we still have the bhajis uneaten in the freezer. Decent result for here (also meant bulky stuff gone out of freezer!)

*Exercise - took car to garage for MOT & service yesterday morning. Instead of getting OH to follow me and bring me back I walked the 3k home at pace (always in at least cardio HR, sometimes peak) - burning off over 350 calories according to my fitbit. OH and I then went for a stroll yesterday evening along the canalpath - not fast, but still out and about and better than sitting watching tv! So 1/3 sessions achieved so far

*Beauty spends. - nothing spent as yet so £0/ £10

*Make time for yourself this month. - read some more of my book yesterday and also really enjoyed the walk home - was spotting foraging opportunities of apple trees, walnut trees, a pear tree etc on way home (much of where we live used to be orchards/ farmland -so lots of trees are still around)

[/COLOR]*Keep the heating off - still mild enough for Summer PJs and duvets here but can tell Autumn is coming

Back later with today's update! :p:D
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Day 2/30
    Today was a spend day. Spent £27.03. My Mum kindly pays for the food, but I always keep her updated as to what is spent. We also go through as to what is needed. I have put yesterday's and today's spends in my notebook. I have different categories in the book and add up everything at the end of the month. I also put food spends in it as well.

Have spent sometime reading a book and listening to a nature sounds cd today. Taking it easy for the rest of the day.

No exercise today as doing a 5K walk in the Olympic Park tomorrow. There are different lengths eg 10k, 5k. It is an event there for all abilities and you can run or walk it and there is no time limit on how long it takes you. Was going to buy refreshments for tomorrow, but did not give in and am going to bring my own. Am making my Mum her lunch and a flask of tea for when I am out.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • NelliePie
    Options
    Just a quick check in to say a NSD for us as I'm sat watching the other half play cricket (sandwiches and drinks bought with us) then round to the grandparents for a BBQ. Hopefully the weather is as nice for all of you as it is here in the Midlands
    Little One born 19/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
    FTB June '17 - £144k mortgage, £134k remaining
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,282 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Day 2 check in. Another grocery spend day as needed some fruit for work packing ups and a few other bits accidentally slipped in my basket. That should be it now until the end of next week, might have to get milk and bread but nothing else. Grocery budget is £400 for the month and have spent just over £100 so far but well stocked up and next week should be a lower spend one. No other spending at all.

15k steps today so happy with that.

Visit from grandkids today was very noisy so after they left chilled in the warm sunshine with a glass of wine and my book - bliss.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport