Streetlife / Nextdoor

Comments

• no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    ukmaggie45 wrote: »
    I seem to be the first member of Kahuti in Liverpool! And also the first member of mylocalforum

I'm feeling lonely! :rotfl:

Same for me - first in Cardiff area, haven't signed up on mylocalforum yet - though at least with them you can look at other areas.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • I want to leave streetlife and NOT join Nextdoor. I can't find a way to do this. I can't get into My Account on streetlife.

I do not want to join Nextdoor. Has any one else managed to do tis recently please?

Your subscription of Streetlife will cease within the next few days when the site closes so there is no need to take any action to leave Streetlife.

As long as you don't subscribe to Nextdoor you will not be part of that site at all and you will not have joined it.

So within the next few days you will not be part of either Streetlife or Nextdoor if you simply do nothing.
  • no1catman
    Streetlife is showing - '5 days to go' - butthere has been a noticeable slow down in the number of posts/replies, a couple of weeks ago it was minutes, now it's more like half-a-day!
  • HiS
    HiS Posts: 5 Forumite
    The reason that the message feed on Streetlife looks a bit odd lately and why no-one has responded to recent posts about Nextdoor is that SL/ND are censoring it and not telling anyone. In the past on SL if you had a post taken down by the moderators they would send you a message saying that it had been taken down and explaining why. Now they are ND they are censoring all PMs and posts that are critical of ND and also those that mention the only other alternative to SL which is Kahuti. However the underhand thing is that ND are not telling anyone about this censorship and to the poster it looks like their post is still up for all to see when in fact it is only visible to them alone.

They have also removed from the site the Ts & Cs that everyone signed up to when they joined SL as what ND is now doing breaks them. Not nice or ethical (or indeed perhaps legal!) behaviour. The BBC has been contacted about this so it will be interesting to see what happens. When I realised that a quiet censorship had been put in place I emailed SL (like many others) to ask why and no-one has had any response. Also as of yesterday they are not allowing PMs to be sent from people who have criticised ND or mentioned Kahuti. I and many others have now been stopped from sending PMs at all about anything yet it still looks as if they have been sent.
  • no1catman
    Interesting, as I had one from someone who was advocating a facebook alternative, I replied to her mentioning kahuti - your post about censorship explains why I haven't had any reply.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Ah thanks for update, I knew about the block on posts but not PMs, I sent a PM a about an hour ago, seems it may not arrive
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • no1catman
    I've posted on streetlife a query about the frequency of messages, has everyone gone to ND, or elsewhere, or are posts about ND being censored!?
    It'll be interesting to see if there are any replies, especially from the streetlife support team!
    Will post any developments.
  • zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Set up a facebook for your town or parish, or use one that is already there.
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • HiS
    HiS Posts: 5 Forumite
    A lot of people who use Streetlife choose not to use Facebook or other social media as they potentially raise a whole different set of privacy issues to Nextdoor.
    Anyone who wants the best replacement to Streetlife needs to take a look at kahuti.com They really care about privacy and as soon as their member base grows (which it is doing rapidly) they will actually be a better site than Streetlife was.
  • no1catman
    HiS - agree, not on facebook myself, there's no way to view it as per a 'guest', you have to sign up. Besides, seems to be all about posting photo of anything and everything.

Kahuti, yes, has the potential to be better - because of the bigger area it covers. When I registered it took name and surname at first, but easy to amend it to name and surname initial. Though not sure how it will expand, streetlife for example sent out postcard invitations.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport