I Want To Be Mortgage Free!

Comments

• Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Thanks for de-lurking and giving me advice SIL! I put a thread on the Energy forum and someone else said the same thing! Good to know!

I have good news anyway! DH has messaged to say he's had a call from BG and they are crediting the amount off his account! Yippee! My email pretending to know what I was on about obviously helped! Lol! I am a little annoyed at DH though because he didn't tell them to put it in writing by post or an email so we don't have this as a backup incase they start chasing it again! He said that this lady will be calling back on Monday to confirm it has been done and that she is contacting Noddle so that they can take it off his credit report and when she calls he'll get her to put It in writing!
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • Jessy103
    Good news! British Gas called DH today to confirm his account has been credited and the debt has been removed from his credit report. DH asked for this in writing which he has since received by email (I have printed and saved a copy for our records!). He's also checked Noddle to confirm it has been removed from his credit report and it has and his credit rating has now gone back up! Yay!

In other news we did have a larger spend than expected over the weekend. We went to see DH's mum yesterday and said we'd treat her and DH's dad to a takeaway. The problem was his 2 sisters were there aswell (they both live at home with his parents) and we ended up paying for their food too! I wouldn't mind but they didn't even offer any money to cover the cost of their food!!! As they both work and yet live with their parents (I know they don't pay much board as his mum has told me!) this did grind my gears somewhat and it isn't the first time it's happened! The way his family acts sometimes still shocks me even after 11 years of being together! My mum always says it's just the way they are and it only shocks me because my family are pretty much the opposite! My family nearly end up fighting over who's going to pay and if someone doesn't accept the money you offer for your share it's like an insult! Lol! I've often thrown money at my mum to pay for our share and then found it later back in my purse because she's snuck it back in when I wasn't looking! But hey ho, each to their own!

I have claimed £5 from one of my survey sites today. I have got a couple more I'm getting close to being able to cash out of but I'm finding it difficult to do surveys this past week, it's like I'm losing my will to live with them! I might just have a break from them for a couple of days and then hopefully I'll be able to get back to it!

Have a lovely evening!
    Jess x
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Great result with BG, that must be a relief.

I know what you mean about surveys - I couldn't face them last week, but then I did loads yesterday! The inclination comes and goes :)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• themadvix
    Jess - just added to my comments about the bread on my thread - don't cook for the time he says on the website! 10 mins at 200C and then 20 mins at 180C is what the book says and what works for me. (I know I'm repeating myself but wasn't sure if you were going to try it today!)

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Jessy103
    Thanks MV! I'll get the ingredients when I have the shopping delivered which will be next week and I'll let you know how it goes!! X
  • Jessy103
    Just checked the mortgage online and they have already taken this month's payment off the total even though it hasn't come out of my bank yet. The new total is £64,974.00! Yay finally under £65,000!! I know when the interest is added on it will go back over £65K but I'm going to wait and see what it is and then make an overpayment to take us back under and that's where we will stay!!! I'm really pleased to be under £65K and the next target is to get under £60K by the end of the year!

I decided to become a member of The National Trust this weekend. My next door neighbour took me and the dogs, along with her dog to a National Trust house and parkland near to where we live and it was lovely, the car park charge was £4 though! It is £4 for all day but the cost of the membership for the year means I only need to go twice a month and it has paid for itself. We are lucky to have quite a few National Trust places near us and I have checked where we are going in Devon in the summer and there are plenty of places we can use it there aswell.

Have had a bit of a high spend weekend, firstly one of the dogs needed to go to the vets because she had conjunctivitis and needed some eye drops, this visit cost me £40! We have also had a takeaway this weekend as I have felt really tired all day yesterday and today and have slept ALOT so I didn't really feel like cooking and if I don't cook DH certainly isn't going to! Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow.

Just ordered the shopping and it was the usually £100 for the next two weeks. I've bought some gluten free things to see if it helps prevent the stomach cramps that I keep getting as it seems to coincide with eating pasta and pizza, which is a complete and utter !!!!!! because they are two of my favourite foods! On the plus side cutting down on those foods may help my waistline!

Have a good week!
    Jess x
  • themadvix
    We're members of the NT and love it - we don't even have many places to visit around our way, but always take advantage if we're going past somewhere. Devon and Cornwall are great for NT properties and there are loads of beaches with NT car parks :)

Hope dog's eyes improve soon and for your sake I hope the GF food isn't the answer :( (but that you sort out the cramps another way, obviously!!) - although at least so many places are clued up on GF food these days and it's much more widely available!

• Jessy103
    Hi MV! Oh I didn't realise some beaches had NT car parks I think I was just looking mainly at the stately homes but will definitely have a look out for them as I love being near the sea and my dream would be to move down to Devon and live by the sea side, the dogs love the beach too!

Thank you, her eyes are a lot better today and I've ordered some eye drops of amazon incase it ever happens again!

I know, me too, I really do love pasta and pizza and was looking forward to making my own bread! My granddad is coeliac though so I'm starting to think it's skipped a generation and is going to inflict itself on me! Lol! You're right there are a lot of places that do GF now and from what I've read people are doing it as a lifestyle choice (I don't know why on earth they'd want to do this when they don't have to!). I'll keep you posted! x
  • Jessy103
    I've checked the mortgage amount this morning and the interest has been added on which makes the total £65,133.66. I have called and made an overpayment of £143.66 so when it updates the new total will be £64,990.00! As I've said In a previous post I'm really pleased to be under £65K, I feel like it is a real achievement but I am now eager to get under £60K!

In other news, I've got an opticians appointment today which is going to be free as Specsavers have sent me a voucher! I'm really hoping my prescription hasn't changed in the past two years so I don't have to buy any new glasses as you may remember I only bought some a few months ago thanks to one of the dogs chewing them!

I've also just eaten my GF pizza, no pasta and no bread this week and I've had no stomach cramps! I'm going to try and stick to this for another few weeks to hopefully confirm that it is these foods that irritate me but Easter will to be tough as we're going to my parents for the weekend so I will have to warn my mum or bring my own food! Lol!

Have a lovely weekend! Make sure you enjoy the sunshine!
    Jess x
  • ch4rly2002
    ch4rly2002 Posts: 460 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion
    Hey Jessy. Congratulations on getting under £65k :) That's a great milestone.

If your prescription has changed, you could take a look at Glasses Direct instead of Specsavers if you'd like to save some money. You can go through TopCashBack to get something back from the purchase and glasses start really low. Although the downside is that you're buying online so can't try them on, but just a thought.

Good luck with the GF diet. My mother-in-law is allergic to wheat and we've found that GF food is becoming more and more widely available. When she goes to M&S, so much of their standard food is GF, like the sausages and chicken in sauce (the ones in a foil tray that you cook at home) etc. so she doesn't feel deprived and can eat mostly the same things as everyone else :)
    Mortgage: Mar 2018 -£300,000 / Jul 2021 -£255,000
    Student Loan: March 2011 -£18,275.04 / Jul 2021 -£10,425.28
    Joint Savings: Aim £13.5k. Dec 2016 £1,700 / Jul 2021 £36,600
    Loan to In-Laws: Sep 2010 -£48,185.82 / Apr 2019 £0
    Car Loan: Sep 2018 -£16,265 / Apr 2019 £0
    Credit Card 0%: Nov 2016 -£4,500 / Apr 2019 £0
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income