Car insurance voided, URGENT!!!Please help

Hi all, my first post here but wont be the last.
Got into a very sticky situation here and not sure what else i can do now.
It is a long story so bear with me.

Back into March a "friend" if mine ask me if i can be the name driver on his policy so we can share car sometimes when traveling and also can reduced his premium a bit as im a more experienced driver. so i said yes to him and gave him a copy of my driving licence alone with a check code from DVLA (to check my driving record).

Fast forward to July, he crashed to someones house and called me and only to told me he he used my details to set up the insurance on his car, which doesnt even have his name of the policy, but he have paid the damage to the house owner already.
So that leave me with no choice but to end up friendship and called the police and also contacted the insurance to explain to them it was not my intention to set up the policy and my details were used without my permission(i only gave him the permission to be a named driver of the policy but NOT the policy holder).
to prove this, they asked me for a letter from DVLA that prove i was never the owner of the car on the policy. and a reference number from the police. which i provided them.
but only got a letter from them at Oct that told me they have voided the insurance on the ground of misrepresentation of material facts and/or non receipt of documentation. and i need to declare it to any future insurer.
called them up and explain to them again it was not my intention to set up this policy and ask them to remove the record.
them from Oct till now i still call them every week to chase in regards to this matter. as my the policy on my own car now is due in 2 weeks. so i need to get this matter sorted before that, as it will be impossible for me get any future insurance with a void record under my name.
but the insurance company dont seems to interested in this matter and simply say i cant prove that i wasnt the person who set up the policy. despite the fact that i have provided them a letter from DVLA that shows i was never the owner of that car, a reference number from police, and show them there was never any money left my account for this policy.

Is there anything else i can do? i tried to talked to new insurer about this matter as my own policy is due soon, but no one wanna cover me for this matter, and ask me to solve this before trying to get new policies.

Sorry for the long post but i really need some help ASAP
Thanks in advance
Tony

Comments

• Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,214 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you haven't done so already you need to make a formal complaint to your insured using the procedure set out in your policy documents. Then if you're not happy with their response you can complain to the Financial Ombudsman, who can (if they agree with you) force the insurer to take the market of your record.

Unfortunately the timescale for all this trend to be measured in months rather than days so while you should definitely do it for the sake of your long term insurability (in most cases a cancelled policy has to be declared forever), it probably won't help you much in the short term if you need to renew in a fortnight.
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    edited 31 December 2017 at 10:23PM
    You don't need to be the owner to insure the vehicle.

It appears the insurance company are taking the view that you fronted for your "friend", which unfortunately appears to be the case?
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    To add to Aretnap's post which tells you exactly what to do.

If the matter makes it to the Ombudsman and they rule in your favour (I would be surprised if they did not) then the Ombudsman would require the Insurer to put you in the same financial position had they not make the mistake. So keep a thorough record of any extra costs you incurr
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    You don't need to be the owner to insure the vehicle.

It appears the insurance company are taking the view that you fronted for your "friend", which unfortunately appears to be the case?

It's not fronting, his friends name didn't even get onto the policy
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    As already advised this will take longer than a fortnight to resolve

Although your current insurer won't renew until the issue is resolved, you will get cover (though probably at a cost!) via a local broker who will be able to use an insurer prepared to cover clients with void policy in their history.

But make enquiries now so you aren't left high and dry at renewal time - as dacouch says - you should eventually get all extra costs reimbursed from the other insurer
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    edited 1 January 2018 at 12:03PM
    paddedjohn wrote: »
    It's not fronting, his friends name didn't even get onto the policy
    Ah, thanks, I should have read a bit slower :)

Edit: Humm, but the op didn't know that, and thought they were helping to reduce the friends premium by agreeing, when they'd no intention of ever driving the vehicle, which is pretty similar.
  • robber2
    robber2 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ..........., which is pretty similar.

but not illegal / against the rules.

Rob
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Ah, thanks, I should have read a bit slower :)

Edit: Humm, but the op didn't know that, and thought they were helping to reduce the friends premium by agreeing, when they'd no intention of ever driving the vehicle, which is pretty similar.
    Nowhere near "similar"!!

(And where did the OP say he had "no intention of ever driving the vehicle"??)

It's an MSE cheaper car insurance moneysaving stalwart wheeze!

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/?_ga=2.103489347.2131502410.1514805342-1191508401.1510402543#costcut
  • Aretnap wrote: »
    If you haven't done so already you need to make a formal complaint to your insured using the procedure set out in your policy documents. Then if you're not happy with their response you can complain to the Financial Ombudsman, who can (if they agree with you) force the insurer to take the market of your record.

Unfortunately the timescale for all this trend to be measured in months rather than days so while you should definitely do it for the sake of your long term insurability (in most cases a cancelled policy has to be declared forever), it probably won't help you much in the short term if you need to renew in a fortnight.
    Thanks for the advice, I didnt make a formal complaint but i did told them im not happy with the result, they told me to call them (the broker) tomorrow while they can contact their under writer to try and solve this issue for me.
  • dacouch wrote: »
    To add to Aretnap's post which tells you exactly what to do.

If the matter makes it to the Ombudsman and they rule in your favour (I would be surprised if they did not) then the Ombudsman would require the Insurer to put you in the same financial position had they not make the mistake. So keep a thorough record of any extra costs you incurr
    Thanks for the advice
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport