We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Comments

• ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Sorry to hear this edwink. At least she had a good life with you. Xx

Ours are still here but strange behaviour from some of the newbies who don't want to sleep in the coops and root on top of them. I thought after a few weeks of being put in the coops at night they would do it themselves but we are having to put them in every night.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,959
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    So sorry Edwink.xxx
    ali-t wrote: »
    Sorry to hear this edwink. At least she had a good life with you.

Thank you both of you x x I do feel very sad about it tonight I really do. It does help though to be honest when I post about my loses on our thread.:)

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Ali, I had the same problem a year ago with one of mine, they all used to go in together and I'd find her on top of the coop later on. It turns out she was being bullied by one of the girls, so my husband built a little divide between the roosts in the coop so they could both be sleeping on the same perch but not see each other. It seemed to work well for them.

The one that was sleeping on the top was the forth in a trio, so always got the raw end of every deal.

Could it be that they are being picked on?x
    #138 - The "Save 12k in 2017" challenge :j
    #019 - The “Save 12k in 2018” challenge
  • edwink
    Forumite
    ali-t wrote: »
    Ours are still here but strange behaviour from some of the newbies who don't want to sleep in the coops and root on top of them. I thought after a few weeks of being put in the coops at night they would do it themselves but we are having to put them in every night.

Yes that is very strange behaviour. I have never heard of hens doing that before. Normally after you have put them in once or maybe twice they know exactly where they are to sleep at night. Intelligent little things they are, well normally anyway.

As you say strange behaviour :think: Not sure what you can do really except keep putting them in, in the hope they do it themselves eventually.

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    2 egg day! FINALLY!

Still 2 of them are freeloading clearly but at least there's some eggs in the house now.
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • edwink
    Forumite
    edited 8 September 2017 at 12:50PM
    What a blooming miserable day my girls are having here today. Lots of places for them to shelter from the rain and wind but I can't help feel sorry for them when they huddle together under a bush tying to keep warm.

Just cooking them a pot of wholewheat spaghetti so that should get them running about in all different directions with their pieces dangling from their beaks.

How is everyone else getting on?

*CAFCGirl*... any more eggs yet ? Enough to bake that cake I hope!

*Ali-t*... that strange behaviour still going on?

*vjm63*... in answer to your question on vocal laying some of mine have been exactly the same. One hen we lost last year was the noisiest layer ever we could actually hear her from the house and it would go on for ages and ages. Our beautiful Cockerel used to shoot up the garden so fast to their hotel to check to see if she was ok. It was so funny watching him with his big feet running up there, bless him. We still get the odd noisy layer but nothing like from that noisiest hen.

Edwink
  • CAFCGirl
    Forumite
    The cake was finally made, and eaten.
    The egg basket looks very forlorn indoors though with two eggs in it. Im used to it being stacked 2 layers of eggs :(

Had 2 yesterday but nothing the day before. Their run has become increasingly muddy so this weekend I think I'll be donning my wellies and 'going in'. I'll replace the flooring and give it a good shovelling. I think now is the time for a cover or some sort over it too for a little bit of rain protection.
  • laurenh1
    laurenh1 Posts: 756
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Hi :wave::wave:

I am really enjoying reading everyones comments :o We are new to keeping chickens and have 4. Two point of lay (hei hei and Esther) and two ex bat (Glenda and mable) .

I will subscribe once I get to a PC- always looking for goof tips for myl girls :beer:
  • edwink
    Forumite
    edited 9 September 2017 at 12:17PM
    CAFCGirl wrote: »
    The cake was finally made, and eaten.
    The egg basket looks very forlorn indoors though with two eggs in it. Im used to it being stacked 2 layers of eggs :(

Yay!! Glad the cake was finally made. But, eaten already? Obviously cakes don't last long in your house. ;)

laurenh1 wrote: »
    Hi :wave::wave:
    I am really enjoying reading everyones comments :o We are new to keeping chickens and have 4. Two point of lay (hei hei and Esther) and two ex bat (Glenda and mable). I will subscribe once I get to a PC- always looking for goof tips for myl girls :beer:
    Hi laurenh1 :wave:

Lovely to have a new friendly hen keeper on our thread. The more the merrier I say :).

Love the names you have for your girls.

Any questions you have just ask away as there will always be someone on here that will help you cos we are a friendly bunch :D.

Look forward to hearing about the antics your girls get up to;) .

Edwink
  • CAFCGirl
    Forumite
    In my mind, cakes weren't designed to last long.

I was bought some lovely cake storage tins last Christmas - I have no idea why and they have never housed a single cake LOL
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport