PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What would you need to know as a LL if a tenant wanted an OH to move in?

I intend to ask my landlady if she is agreeable to my boyfriend moving in at the end of September (he has been offered work back at home and we’d like to end our long-distance). I’ve only been a tenant in her property for 4 months, I’m a vetted and referenced tenant and my landlady manages the property directly only using an agency to procure tenants in the event of eviction or vacation of the property. My landlady hasn’t inspected since I moved in but has dropped in for different bits and bobs and seems happy with me as a tenant, we text back and forth if there are any issues and they’re always pleasant. My boyfriend recently fixed a sink (he’s a tradesman) that she was going to send a plumber for and she was very thankful. As far as I have checked there are no clauses in my AST that state I must be the sole occupant and previously a couple did live in the house (appreciate her insurance may state differently). If she declines my request then I will see the end of my tenancy out living alone with him staying as a guest on weekends and he’d have to rent somewhere else. We’d then look to move next April but that is really my last wish, I love the house and my neighbours, it’s perfectly located on a street with my closest friends a few doors away and the city centre a short walk.

As there are a plethora of landlords/ladys here on the forum I am wondering what you would care to know if one of your tenants asked for a boyfriend/girlfriend to move in. I respect her rights as the owner of the property and want to cover all my bases concisely in my e-mail asking her permission. I have already covered that he has no criminal convictions, will be employed full-time, that we are happy to put in writing that upon separation I would remain the sole tenant and he would move elsewhere, that he has an exemplary credit record and that we are happy to forward relevant rental and employment references. Thank you in advance for letting me borrow your knowledge and hopefully giving a LL’s point of view.

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    It depends. If he's just moving in, but not going on the tenancy, then it's nothing the LL need concern herself about.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I can't see any grounds to object, tbh.

There might even be scope for a decent working relationship between the two of 'em, maybe also with the agency...
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Guest101 wrote: »
    It depends. If he's just moving in, but not going on the tenancy, then it's nothing the LL need concern herself about.

Thanks, that's interesting to think about. I'm not sure about the legality surrounding on it but I assume she could perhaps assist we sign a new AST?
  • Guest101
    I intend to ask my landlady if she is agreeable to my boyfriend moving in at the end of September (he has been offered work back at home and we’d like to end our long-distance). I’ve only been a tenant in her property for 4 months, I’m a vetted and referenced tenant and my landlady manages the property directly only using an agency to procure tenants in the event of eviction or vacation of the property. My landlady hasn’t inspected since I moved in but has dropped in for different bits and bobs and seems happy with me as a tenant, we text back and forth if there are any issues and they’re always pleasant. My boyfriend recently fixed a sink (he’s a tradesman) that she was going to send a plumber for and she was very thankful. As far as I have checked there are no clauses in my AST that state I must be the sole occupant and previously a couple did live in the house (appreciate her insurance may state differently). If she declines my request then I will see the end of my tenancy out living alone with him staying as a guest on weekends and he’d have to rent somewhere else. We’d then look to move next April but that is really my last wish, I love the house and my neighbours, it’s perfectly located on a street with my closest friends a few doors away and the city centre a short walk. - The LL has the right to receive rent for the property. She cant dictate how often your guest stays. If you don't ask for weekends, why would you ask for weekdays?

As there are a plethora of landlords/ladys here on the forum I am wondering what you would care to know if one of your tenants asked for a boyfriend/girlfriend to move in. I respect her rights as the owner of the property and want to cover all my bases concisely in my e-mail asking her permission. - why? I have already covered that he has no criminal convictions - not relevant , will be employed full-time - not relevant, that we are happy to put in writing that upon separation I would remain the sole tenant and he would move elsewhere - really don't see why you would involve the LL in that case... , that he has an exemplary credit record - not relevant and that we are happy to forward relevant rental and employment references - not relevant. Thank you in advance for letting me borrow your knowledge and hopefully giving a LL’s point of view.

I think you'll just be opening a can of worms unnecessarily.
  • System
    Community Admin
    AdrianC wrote: »
    I can't see any grounds to object, tbh.

There might even be scope for a decent working relationship between the two of 'em, maybe also with the agency...

Yes! Great idea! He is JIB registered and she did say she has a couple of houses, I suggested perhaps if she ever needs some electrical work or basic plumbing (he's just a bit of a dab hand) that she should pop me a text.
  • Guest101
    Thanks, that's interesting to think about. I'm not sure about the legality surrounding on it but I assume she could perhaps assist we sign a new AST?

There is no legality around it, you can have a guest whenever you want.

(no she couldn't insist you sign anything)

If she was really opposed she would evict at the end of the fixed term, but as you said you'd move out at the end of the fixed anyway if it bothered her - theres no issue
  • System
    Community Admin
    I think you'll just be opening a can of worms unnecessarily.

Thank you, I'll take that on board. I guess I want to check as he technically wouldn't be a 'guest' if he stays 7 days a week and say she pops round to do some work I wouldn't like to blindside her with him answering the door and all his belongings in the home!
  • Guest101
    Thank you, I'll take that on board. I guess I want to check as he technically wouldn't be a 'guest' if he stays 7 days a week and say she pops round to do some work I wouldn't like to blindside her with him answering the door and all his belongings in the home!

Why not? - so if you invited your sister to visit for 2 weeks, what then?

What do you mean 'pop round'? surely she gives you 24 hours notice?
  • System
    Community Admin
    Why not? - so if you invited your sister to visit for 2 weeks, what then?

What do you mean 'pop round'? surely she gives you 24 hours notice?

She doesn't just pop in unannounced but if I text and say somethings up she more than often will just let herself in whilst I'm at work to fix it. We have a very casual LL-tenant relationship in that sense. I don't need the full 24hrs notice as I'm there so infrequently given my longer working hours.
  • Guest101
    She doesn't just pop in unannounced - good! had thoughts of her popping in whenever she fancied but if I text and say somethings up she more than often will just let herself in whilst I'm at work to fix it. We have a very casual LL-tenant relationship in that sense. I don't need the full 24hrs notice as I'm there so infrequently given my longer working hours.

Sure and that's great, I've had landlords like that in the past. Just don't let them take the mick
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure