Blowing in the Winds of Change

Comments

• *Robin*
    *Robin* Posts: 3,364
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Stoptober Survivor
    Forumite
    edited 24 June 2017 at 9:48AM
    Good morning and thank you to everyone who sent positive thoughts in our general direction - they were successful! :T

It was a problem of timing, coupled with differing regulations between Andalusia and Catalonia. Because GrandPup stayed with me for so long, Musketeer's operation and inoculations had to be delayed - and that meant the Catalonian official did not see the dates she wanted on M's passport.
    At that point I had already paid a fearsome sum for our ferry ticket - which would not have been refundable on the day of sailing if we couldn't sort out the discrepancy.

It took six hours of angst; faxes flying between two vets, two Spanish government departments and DEFRA - but eventually the port vet was given permission to amend M's passport so that it confirms compliance with Catalonian and UK Law.
    ..Then finally we were allowed to join the queue for boarding - half an hour before the ferry was due to set sail!
    Phew!

I had a huge, well appointed cabin - the only one available - much posher than I'd normally choose as I've no interest in hobbing with the nobs nor paying the price for that privilege.. Must say though, there was absolutely no sensation of being at sea as is usual in the less exalted accommodation, even during a calm crossing.
    Dogs' club was fun; bar a couple of aggressive GSDs all the mutts were friendly as were their owners, so M and I spent a lot of time in the exercise area with like-minded folk and their pets.
    I gave Musketeer CD's sheepskin to lie on in his kennel, but the first time I returned he was chest deep in wool - he had completely destroyed it, presumably in objection to having been locked in a cage.. :o

PEM* had well and truly set in [after all the effort and worry] by the time we were disgorged from the boat, but luckily a friend lives close by so now we are parked at his farm. Yesterday I couldn't stay awake for longer than a couple of hours at a time, and missed dinner after exhausting m'self walking M through the fields, but no matter; we're out of the searing heat and have knocked about 1500 miles off our journey. :)
    Hopefully the engine mount will last until we get homehome - think am right about that as it is fine while cold, but gets bouncy when the motor warms up.
    Fuel consumption has been pretty good so far; topped up the tank before getting on the ferry but reckon it cost less than £80 to drive right across Spain - not bad at all for a van of it's size, cruising at 70mph.
    (*PEM = Post Exertional Malaise).

Am grateful to have arrived safely in the UK, for Musketeer being allowed to come with me, and the more temperate weather (never have I been so happy to see grey clouds in the sky!).

Spends:
    Fuel - £75
    Ferry ticket - £805
    Sorting out M's passport - £60
    Meal on the boat - £15
  • Dansmam
    Dansmam Posts: 677
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yay! Well done Robin, battling through all that would be absolutely exhausting even for those of us previously on top form (the GSDs alone would have had me weeping - lurcher lad is not keen at the best of times -Musketeer encounters in small spaces must have been tricky). Smiled at dear Musketeer and his cage strop - if only they could speak ��
    Hope you can take time now to rest up in the cool ��
    Great mileage news - may DD forgive you but I'll be limiting my (birthday gift) contribution to her current Portuguese fuel consumption based on yours!
    Sending supportive thoughts in the direction of the engine mount x
    I have borrowed from my future self
    The banks are not our friends
  • I'm so pleased to hear you've made it, engine mounts and all. Hope M is finding his trip less stressful now, and that you are finally being looked after, rather than being the one doing all the caring x
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £18182 to go :o
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#079
  • Welcome back to the UK Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,099
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Welcome back from me too, if you'd arrived last week the weather would've been rather less temperate - we had a heatwave 34 degrees. Much better "doing" weather now, although I love hot weather I don't like working in it.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £227.29/£600 March NSD:9 March Surveys £
  • *Robin*
    Forumite
    edited 27 June 2017 at 10:13AM
    Drat - just lost today's long post responding to all your kind comments, because I forgot about the "token expired" rubbish! :mad:

Need to get back on the road again so will just thank everyone for now, and say that after three days' rest Musketeer and I progressed another 150 miles before exhaustion set in again. Just about made it to m' next "safe haven" where M has met cattle for the first time and I've had a chance to recharge both spiritual and physical batteries. :)
    Dansmam wrote: »
    may DD forgive you but I'll be limiting my (birthday gift) contribution to her current Portuguese fuel consumption based on yours!

Must reply to your post though Dansmam (in case you are about to send DD her birthday gift ;)).
    I have many years experience in driving economically; Advanced Drivers' techniques are second nature, and our journey through Spain was almost all on good, fast roads. In Portugal both terrain and road quality will cut down DD's mileage per gallon, as will the fact that it really isn't very long since she passed her test!
    Also, unless DD's Transit is fitted with the Eco-Banana engine she hasn't got a chance of matching my camper-van's economy, even if driving the same route. ..So please be a little more generous than you were thinking of - if you can afford it, of course - am certain DD will be very grateful! :)

Today, I am grateful for a cloudy sky - perfect for driving. Also for having been able to work out why the water-pump wasn't delivering anything out of camper-van's taps, and fixing it. :D
    But most of all am grateful that an unexpected herd of cattle in the field M and I were about to walk through, came over the hill to see what he was barking at [nosy passers-by who were trying to peer into camper-van's windows while I was having a wash :mad:] before we went through the gate (they were the most dangerous combination for anyone with a dog; cows, calves and a large bull! :eek:).

Spends:
    A "thank you" take-away meal for our first hosts - £30
  • Robin, I don't know where you are heading, or where home, home is, but if you need a base in Herefordshire, you'd be very welcome to come and park in our little corner of it x
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £18182 to go :o
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#079
  • *Robin*
    Forumite
    edited 10 July 2017 at 11:00AM
    Hello MSE World, :hello:

Well, we eventually made it back to New House. The final 150 miles had to be completed in three 50 mile bursts for safety's sake, but luckily there were service areas in just the right places (thank you for your kind offer, Stepup, but as we were heading East from Wiltshire when you posted, I thought it better to keep going). Just as well actually, because Divo Four and I had time-sensitive business to deal with requiring both our autographs, before he went off to his annual yoga festival.

New House has had a lot of the essential works completed during my absence; DS4 did well. It still needs new windows and better insulation in the main extension, but hopefully is no longer at risk of sinking into the fens!
    ..The structural engineers discovered that when another new property was put up nearby, it's builders blocked a main drainage pipe which caused some cracks to appear in NH's front wall - happily our insurance company are pursuing said builders for repayment of the hefty repair bill.

After about a week at NH recovering from the journey, during which nothing much happened except riverside dog-walking and exhausted sleep, Musketeer and self set out again for Oxford, where we have spent the weekend celebrating Divo Three's birthday. Musketeer and GrandPup were delighted to be reunited and we've had a couple of wonderful long walks in an ancient forest. GrandPup is now the same weight as Musketeer although he's not yet as tall, but am very glad indeed to have seen him again as there's a problem with his man-bits which needs dealing with soon, if he's to have a long and healthy life. DS3 and GGF were hoping to wait until they return to Spain before neutering GrandPup - because of the cost - but I don't think that's a good idea so made a contribution which helped persuade GGF to arrange GrandPup's op this week.

Camper-van is still running on Spanish fuel (quarter of a tank left). I was intending to carry on travelling West to visit friends near Bristol, but am becoming annoyed by the limitations of the van's current solar set-up which has trouble holding enough oomph to charge laptop and 'phone for more than three days without being plugged into mains power. So perhaps a trip to consult a friendly solar engineer would be a better use of my time until DS4 returns and my presence will be required at homehome?

Am grateful to DS3 & GGF's kind and generous boss for letting me park at their workplace, for the wonderful weekend we've all just spent together, and the obvious pleasure Musketeer and GrandPup have shown on being reunited. :)

Spends:
    Groceries & dog food - £31
    Parking charge - £2.50
    DS3's birthday meal - £75
    Towards GrandPup's op - £80
  • So pleased you've had a lovely time recently Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • amber03
    amber03 Posts: 1,238
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    Just caught up with your "adventures", belated well back to Blighty Robin. Take care of yourself, like you I always seem to put others before myself. We need to start learning to say the word No more. You have the best travelling companion with you, enjoy your walks.xx
    :j Debtfree and and staying that way.:j3-6 month emergency fund, No.61 £140.00
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure