PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS ways and Poor Health

Comments

• Interesting tips on pain relief, thanks guys.xx I am willing to try anything that might help.:)

*Gulp* the private MH therapist called me back and I have the assessment this Monday._pale_

I feel nervous about it and it isn't a local appointment as she is working from her office in central London.

I'm sure it will be okay, though. At least I didn't have to wait for ages to be seen like I would on the NHS, lol.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Wednesday you'll be fine; this is what you've been wanting for such a long time, grab it with both hands, mate. I'm sure all your friends here will be rooting for you.

Lovely walk with Bluebell this morning; she's very nervous of other dogs, but we managed to pass Lily and Honey (Cavalier King Charles Spaniel sisters) in the alleyway without a lot of fuss, so she is improving. I am soooooo going to miss her when she goes home tomorrow.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Hello dear friends . I want to thank everyone for their kind thoughts and good wishes for yesterday . Those thoughts are passed on to DD and it helps her to know others are thinking of her . You now need to picture a big red heart as Firefox had a hissy fit when I clicked on the heart and froze everything :D
    We were at the hospital in plenty of time yesterday morning but had a long wait . The nurse came out to apologise as Dr was still trying to get through all the diversions and roadblocks . It was quiet and that hospital is really well laid out as they have little areas for various things rather than big waiting rooms so we chatted happily until he arrived .
    This time DD got to watch the US screen and she loves all things technical so that eased things a great deal . Last time he was attacking the smaller calcium deposits so yesterday was the big lumps and was a lot more painful . He was injecting a local and steroids as he went to help .
    It didn't take too long and it took a few hours afterwards before she began to feel the full impact .
    I assume because he was running late he began to dictate his report while we were in the room which is something we've never seen before . I picked up the words possible complications which looking into it could mean damage to the shoulder tendons and or muscles . This is the hospital who don't copy us into their feedback letters so that's one to discuss with our Doctor on Tuesday . DD had already picked up on that possibility as she had a full view of the screen and had picked up on his struggles in the tendon and muscle areas . So we'll hope the possible doesn't mean damage has occurred .
    He's arranging physio sometime in a couple of weeks . We have a choice of the four hospitals we attend plus our pain clinic but have decided to opt for our nearest hospital as the pain clinic are overstretched and she's had physio a number of times there . They know her history and conditions as they dealt with the damaged Achilles some years ago .
    The referral for Barbotage was from a doctor there following our Drs X Ray requests and scans .
    You can't change the past and it's better to move on but this goes back over a year to the complete inaction of the Rheumo Consultant and her team .
    We will finally be face to face with her the first week in October ( unless they again push the appt forward a few more months ) which will be formal complaint time and look elsewhere .
    Meanwhile once we've seen our Dr on Tuesday I will be compiling and printing a bullet point timeline of every contact and event since I and then GP first waved the red flag . All the steroids injected and oral , extra heavyweight pain relief dosages and every flipping anti biotic will be there .That one initial failure to step up has cost the NHS a lot of money , taken up the time of other health professionals and has involved miles of travel to all the hospitals except the one that actually gets the funding for dealing with a known complication of PsA .
    Right rant over , as you were all . As they say it's better out than in :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Something I have discovered along the way is another benefit of these threads . As I changed my internet provider a lot of stuff in various emails covering events are out in the ether now .
    This thread and one of the other two I always follow have quite a bit of those events as they happened . Most stuff was tracked in my physical diary but there were medical things happening during the PIP and ESA that I didn't add to the diary . I can't tell you how many times recently I've worked my way through every post on on this thread and the No T Words one and found those dates .
    I can also now state that Ariarnia was the first to mention the "duvet cover trick " :T

I'm going to read back and be back later .
    polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • Wednesday We will all be with you in spirit as you head to the appointment . I will waft the calming lavender scents in your direction . Remember The longest journey starts with a single step . I'm not predicting that will be a long path , if it's right for you it will be worth it whatever the time frame . If our instincts point us to something it is worth trying . The not giving it a go leads to " what ifs " It can be beneficial or not but you wont be regretting not giving it a go .

Cranky How did it go with the walk in centre? You took such a fall I for one am relieved you've followed it further . It may be just time to heal but best to make sure .
    Cats and pinecones , this area is a mix of coastal and farming and there are lots of cone bearing trees in the area . One of the things you never have to do in life is get the sap off generations of adventurous cats , where were mesh gauntlets back in the day ?
    We'll whisper this quietly but your " less popular option" wasn't the one you never mentioned at parties when people asked where you worked was it ? I started in the less popular and later did some work for what back then was social security and then went on to another field entirely .
    I began to wonder reading of how many of us were Civil Servants whether there was a link with then and now however sensible thought is it was a major employer . I had always wanted to be a Librarian but was pushed by Mum to take what she believed to be the secure option .

LL it sounds as though the Injection will have made a difference for now so any relief gives you the time to continue searching for the the things that work best for you .
    I was lent a Tens machine from the surgery in the 80s and it worked so well I took it back so someone else could have a chance to try it out . I bought my own which worked well for some years but gradually was less effective as my condition worsened .
    I've spotted that link from LW so thank you for that . I will read up on it later . That may possibly help lessen the need for the steroid intervention for DD but even if it doesn't may help us both in other ways .
    Candy Doesn't your surgery have a practice nurse ? Due to the meds dd has very regular blood tests and she is booked in with the nurse and the next appt arranged while she's having the present one .
    Well taking a little break as the heads a bit foggy . Back later to discuss Hygge , White bowls the universe and everything :)
    BTW Have you all heard of Lagom ?

polly

• First of all while I remember I meant to mention a post by Haras aka Sarah who was about to move to Austria . I came across it again during the reading the whole thread again thing . She was diagnosed with Fibro but a great deal of her post about coping methods would be helpful to many , It's page 17 post 328 . I know many will have read it already but not all those who joined us afterwards will have read back from the start . I'm aware some ill
    brave souls have plodded their way all the way through but there's much over the past year that was useful and unless you have the energy to go back you wont be aware of .

Anyway bowls . Some people like pretty, patterned colourful bowls . My change to the plain white bowl came about 6 years ago while wandering around sainsburys . Perfect bowls , not too shallow , deep or wide . They only had 2 left as they were heavily reduced and probably end of line . I searched madly for more but they weren't on the main site . Family in Yorkshire and Cheshire did the bowl hunt with nil result too .
    All I can say is they are a very good option if you drop things , spill things etc.
    Large dinner plates are barely used nowadays . The buddha bowl concept demonstrates how useful bowls are , they can accommodate most foods and are easier to grip than a large plate . Sadly one of the bowls was dropped and although I bought a number of different ones none of them are as perfect size and weight wise as the originals . They are however better than a plate in my view .
    I'm long past the point of things needing to match but white is a good option as there is always a lot of white available .
    Keeping these posts as short as possible as am having the log in when already logged in request today . Once we've seen the main Consultant and my brain is calmer it will be new browser time .
    polly

• candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    POLLY , we have at least 4 nurses, but we have to go to a blood clinic for tests :mad:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Candy The more I learn the less I understand of the modern NHS . The way our surgery works here is connected care as much as possible . It works . DD was booked with the nurse for her flu injection a few hours after seeing her doctor on Tuesday , he went and fetched the vaccine and did the injection himself to save her having to return later ,done in seconds and a free slot for someone else .
    Just grit your teeth and join the queue , not perfect but you need it done as you can feel the time is here for your top up .
    If only we had the time and energy to rule the world , things would be different and much more common sense would prevail .
    polly

• Hygge will be tomorrow for me . I got sidetracked for a while elsewhere on the forum among other things .
    Wishing all a good night .
    pollyx

• I have to say that the support on this OS part of the forum and especially on this thread is amazing.:A

You guys have given me so many helpful tips and just general emotional support. I had been feeling quite down after being a carer and then getting this fibro diagnosis in July, but I feel much more positive about everything now.

I am a bit nervous about tomorrow, but I'm sure I will be fine when I get there.

BTW Have you all heard of Lagom ?

polly

Yes, I read an article about it a while ago, it's the Swedish word for "just the right amount" or "just enough", interesting.:)
  • Wednesday I think it's very hard to bare your soul to strangers , not that we are strangers here anymore . Some of us already knew each other elsewhere on old style . Whether you are physically or mentally or mentally struggling are a carer or the one who does the caring there aren't many safe outlets to share the highs and lows .
    Everyone here has walked in those shoes one way or another and until you encounter that situation you really have no awareness of other peoples struggles .
    One simple sentence can help someone . Knowing you aren't alone is such a positive thing . Words are simple but can make a difference .
    No one except the super confident approach a new appointment without worry about how it will be . Tomorrow in your head listen to us urging you forward . Know we are with you each step . It may be the answer you've searched for or not but is a step forward again .
    polly x

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport