We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017

Options

Comments

• zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Birthday yesterday 3 score plus 10, I was asked what I wanted so I said memories. To be honest I thought he had forgotten (not the first time) as nothing emerged over breakfast, however at 11am a strange woman arrived called Mary.

I had been moaning over the last few months that the veg/fruit plot was getting out of hand - too many weeds, too much to do even though I call it my hobby. I have been so busy this year, all I'm doing on the plot is harvesting but I need to get the winter veg in.

Mary is going to get my plot sorted starting with the fruit cage. She was found through a group called 'Local Treasures'. It isn't like employing a gardener, they are a group of 50yrs+ that do specific jobs and her remit is to get the plot back into order with an option of doing it again a couple of times next year.

I can't explain just how fantastic this is - it couldn't have been a better present, much better than my usual piece of bling. I'm quite enthused again but today it's - jet washing and steaming a turkey house that holds 100 birds - that's what I call work.
  • MissPop
    MissPop Posts: 948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Aww, what a lovely gift Zafiro! Sounds like everyone involved is a winner there :D

I've been weighing things as I harvest them, as I love to see how much I can get compared to the cost of the plants - I got a total of 1.7kg of French beans from 6 dwarf plants! Happy with that, I probably planted them a bit close for comfort :rotfl: I've also had 6kg of tomatoes from 6 plants, although at least another kg must have gone in the garden waste bag as they'd been eaten/rotted :( But there's another 1.5kg, I reckon, still on the vines waiting to ripen :D And my crystal lemon cukes are going bonkers :D

Make £2020 in 2020 - £263.78/£2020

2020 totals
    Swagbucks - £100 | Prolific Academic - £44.54 | Qmee - £10 | PopulusLive - £50

• unrecordings
    Options
    My first year in this garden, I went berzerk with a spreadsheet and had to weigh everything that came into the kitchen. I don't bother with that anymore apart from the odd check - 5.3kg of Red Duke of York potatoes a couple of weeks ago. I picked my only three damsons today before the squirrels had a go. I think it was a little early, but better than having nothing.

Turns out I was mistaken on the fennel seed front, it was my lovage next to it that was ready - so I picked those instead. Apparently there's something alcoholic you can do with lovage seeds, and I've got a lot of them...

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Didnt make it up the plot this weekend as DH has now left for 3 months of residential training so its just me, DS, dog and 4 chickens and being a non driver, I have to be fully committed to trekking DS and I there LOL

Hopefully though this will mean that the seedlings that were just coming up will be further along to allow me to weed and thin them. I need true leaves showing clearly to know I'm pulling out the right thing.
    Will also need to clear out the growhouse. I'm very tempted to dismantle it, as I can see the winds destroying it and sending it off to Oz as the weather turns. That might be a job for this weekend.
    I'll bring home the chilli plants that are currently in there, and attempt to over winter them. They could do with being in bigger pots too so be a good time to move them over?
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    zafiro1984 wrote: »
    Birthday yesterday 3 score plus 10, I was asked what I wanted so I said memories. To be honest I thought he had forgotten (not the first time) as nothing emerged over breakfast, however at 11am a strange woman arrived called Mary.

I had been moaning over the last few months that the veg/fruit plot was getting out of hand - too many weeds, too much to do even though I call it my hobby. I have been so busy this year, all I'm doing on the plot is harvesting but I need to get the winter veg in.

Mary is going to get my plot sorted starting with the fruit cage. She was found through a group called 'Local Treasures'. It isn't like employing a gardener, they are a group of 50yrs+ that do specific jobs and her remit is to get the plot back into order with an option of doing it again a couple of times next year.

I can't explain just how fantastic this is - it couldn't have been a better present, much better than my usual piece of bling. I'm quite enthused again but today it's - jet washing and steaming a turkey house that holds 100 birds - that's what I call work.

A belated Happy Birthday to you!! What a lovely lovely present!!
    I always think something like that is much more welcome and remembered than the run of the mill present.

I have a birthday coming up at end of the month and I am thinking of asking for a pear tree. :D
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 September 2017 at 7:05PM
    Options
    [QUOTE=Kantankrus Mare;73081211
    I have a birthday coming up at end of the month and I am thinking of asking for a pear tree. :D[/QUOTE]

Now that's a great idea although I've never had success with them.

Have you considered an apricot tree. Depends where you are in the country but down here in the south they are quite hardy.
    There was one bred/found in the Malvern Hills in Worcestershire which is 'up north' from here so they are not as exotic as you would first think.
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    zafiro1984 wrote: »
    Now that's a great idea although I've never had success with them.

Have you considered an apricot tree. Depends where you are in the country but down here in the south they are quite hardy.
    There was one bred/found in the Malvern Hills in Worcestershire which is 'up north' from here so they are not as exotic as you would first think.

Im up north....lincolnshire so maybe not a good idea. A few of the plots near me have pears growing and they seem to do quite well.

Just been to plot to water greenhouse and picked another load of toms. Have been making them into a sauce to go on my homemede pizzas so another batch will be heading into freezer.

My sweet peppers havent done brilliantly and wondering whether to not bother with them next year.

Chilli peppers doing well though so will have to have a look at chilli jam.
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • downshifted
    downshifted Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    One of our squash has a split in it.... weird heavy rain followed by dry spells I guess. So I've picked it. Do you think it is ok to eat the good bits, even though it's not yet ripe?
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
  • Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,468 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tomato's mainly failed this year. I haven't had as much time to spend outside as I would like.

I have green fruits going brown and the leaves are also dying off. Any ideas what caused this? I keep them in growbags and feed them weekly - my suspicion is they have got waterlogged at some point.

On the positive note I have tonnes of courgette and summer squash, they have loved all this rain one day sun the next!
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Niv wrote: »

On the positive note I have tonnes of courgette and summer squash, they have loved all this rain one day sun the next!

I was just saying to my mum that it's just flowered again and some more are growing. I have had an endless supply from this plant. Quite nice as only me likes it at our house!

Am also asking for ideas. As you may remember i inherited an overgrown plot which had some plastic bins in full of weird and wonderful things. I thought once i got round to emptying them i would use them as water butts as we don't have a 'mains' supply on the allotment.

One bin has a small crack in which can be easily sealed... any recommendations as to what to use?

Second is fine and catching the rain slowly but surely.

The third has three holes in the bottom like you would in a plant pot. I would use it as an additional compost bin but have inherited these already. What do I grow in it? It is about a metre high and I would say about a 70cm diameter. I am thinking of annual flowers to brighten the plot/aid pollination, put my rhubarb in that has yet to be homed or my fuchsia plant that gives off edible berries . Any other suggestions?
    Go get it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport