Help to find a quirky not expensive London restaurant

Hi it is one of my daughters significant birthdays and we are going to London this Friday(14th July) where she and her younger brother and partners live. On the Friday we will do pressie opening and get a take away on the Saturday we are going to an afternoon showing of Alice in the Underground and need to do something after also involving two extra friends who are working till then that makes 8 people We need something different to do afterwards that is not booked up involves food (including one vegan) and is fun so it will be memorable. We are BBQing the next day with extra cousins. I am panicking as DS and DD's partner were supposed to be sorting and haven't yet and I am many miles away and have spent hours trying to find something different all suggestions welcome please. Thanks.

Comments

• susancs
    susancs Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    edited 11 July 2017 at 2:48PM
    Has she been to the Icebar in London? My dd went there for her 18th and enjoyed it as different. You get a cloak and gloves and glass made out of ice. They also do meals in the restaurant off the bar (did not eat there so don't know what the food is like). There are often deals on Groupon.

You could look at a meal on a Thames boat, again there are often deals available on the group buying sites.
  • Taplledraw
    Taplledraw Posts: 206 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am afraid boats are a no no as all four children were on a boat for their fathers 50th years ago and it caught fire almost killing them all, getting any of them on a boat now is a challenge . I will look into the ice bar idea thank you so much for the idea.
  • barbarawright
    barbarawright Posts: 1,846 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Is this the show at the Vaults near Waterloo? Olivelli's in The Cut is a great Italian restaurant opposite the Young Vic so about 10 minutes walk away. It's certainly veggie friendly and I doubt vegan would have a problem. Whenever I've been they've brought out free liqueurs at the end (though that might depend on how much you drink...).

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d734192-Reviews-Olivelli_Waterloo-London_England.html
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I like Brasserie Zedel a few yards away from Piccadilly Circus. Despite being in a very touristy area full of mediocre and often expensive restaurants this is an excellent place. Good food and very reasonable prices especially the prix fixe menus.

At street level there is a small cafe, but downstairs is a very impressive dining room - it's like being in Paris.

https://www.brasseriezedel.com/
  • susancs
    susancs Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Taplledraw wrote: »
    I am afraid boats are a no no as all four children were on a boat for their fathers 50th years ago and it caught fire almost killing them all, getting any of them on a boat now is a challenge . I will look into the ice bar idea thank you so much for the idea.
    Gosh, that is awful. Glad you were all ok.
  • prenton01
    prenton01 Posts: 260 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    There is only one place you should go to

http://www.sarastro-restaurant.com/whats_on.php

It an amazing restaurant where the live acts sing around you while eating.

On my Birthday the opera singer sang to me while i was eating.

Go here every time we visit London
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • killzusall
    killzusall Posts: 314 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We really like Planet Hollywood. Was really reasonably priced and you can have a special message up on the screens around you.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    prenton01 wrote: »

It an amazing restaurant where the live acts sing around you while eating.

On my Birthday the opera singer sang to me while i was eating.
    Each to their own. I think I'd prefer to eat a meal and chat to my companion.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Inamo in Soho is a great restaurants, it's a pan Asian restaurant, It has virtual menus on the table, where you order you food/play games.etc

If Asian food isn't your thing. Jamon Jamon Spanish Tapas restaurant is also really nice food and atmosphere.

Bodeans for BBQ type food - one in Soho/Covent Garden and Tower Hill.

They're not expensive, I'd say you can spend between £20-£40 per person depending on how much you eat and drink.
  • How about My Old Dutch?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport