Engagement Ring

My fiance and I bought my ring in London in July. We were told it was a certified diamond. We order it and go in to collect it, while we're there they give us the ring and tell us that they can't find the certificate, that the lady that sold it to us must have put it somewhere and she was away that week so they'd forward it on to us when she's back the week after next.

About a week and a half later my fiance calls up to ask where the certificate is and gets told that there was some mix up at head office and it would be in the post on Monday. Next week, nothing shows up.
We keep calling and emailing and keep being told that it will be in the post on Monday.

It's been over 3 and a half months now and I'm really concerned. The only reason I can think of as to why we haven't gotten anything is that they've sold us a fake diamond ring and are hoping we just go away if they put us off for long enough.
What can we do about it? Am I still entitled to a refund if we were promised a certificate and didn't receive one? It's the only reason I was OK with my fiance spending so much money it.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can give.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You won't be receiving a refund based solely on the retailer so far failing to provide a certificate of authenticity, I'm afraid.

Just keep reminding them that you require one, though it's doubtful in what circumstance you might ever use it...

However, if you are genuinely worried take the ring to another Jeweller's or Pawn shop and ask for the diamond to be valued. They'll soon tell you if it's fake or not and shouldn't charge for the service.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You won't be receiving a refund based solely on the retailer so far failing to provide a certificate of authenticity, I'm afraid.

Just keep reminding them that you require one, though it's doubtful in what circumstance you might ever use it...

However, if you are genuinely worried take the ring to another Jeweller's or Pawn shop and ask for the diamond to be valued. They'll soon tell you if it's fake or not and shouldn't charge for the service.

I've had to send copies of my GIA certificates in order to insure my ring.

Whilst a jeweler might not charge to confirm whether a stone is or isn't a genuine diamond they would definitely charge to provide a valuation - usually a couple of % of its value.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 24 October 2016 at 5:45PM
    LilElvis wrote: »

Whilst a jeweler might not charge to confirm whether a stone is or isn't a genuine diamond they would definitely charge to provide a valuation - usually a couple of % of its value.
    Depends how informally they were asked, of course.

Have to admit I hadn't considered the certificate might be required for insurance purposes..
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 October 2016 at 5:55PM
    bluefaerie wrote: »
    The only reason I can think of as to why we haven't gotten anything is that they've sold us a fake diamond ring

No certificate doesn't mean a diamond is fake, the majority of diamonds sold on the high street are not certified. Certified means they have been inspected and meet specific criteria on the certificate and are of a higher grade, un-certified means they're bog standard diamonds.

Did you pay a higher price for your ring than similar ones that weren't advertised as certified diamonds? Certified diamonds of a very high grade can cost twice the price of uncertified.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • peachyprice: I don't know if I paid a higher price. I've been trying to find a similar style to compare the prices but I haven't been able to. It doesn't always say what colour, cut, etc the stones are so I don't know if it's the same.
    The sign outside their shop and their website said they sold certified rings. I was told it was certified and I'd be able to pick it up when I collected my ring.
    LilElvis & moneyineptitude: I also need it for insurance, so I do feel really stressed about it. What if something happens while I'm waiting for this.
  • I would say to them I am giving you 5 days notice that I will be visiting your store on (date) at (time) to collect the certificate in person, if you fail to issue me with the certificate on this date I will be returning the ring on the same day for a full refund.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    You forgot to include expense costs for returning the ring. ;)
  • Just to update you. I sent them the complaints letter from this site on Tuesday. They've responded to let me know that the certificate was sent and must have gotten lost in the post. And they'll reissue it and send it by signed delivery.

If we don't receive anything then I think I'll have to actually go there and demand it or a refund.
  • bluefaerie wrote: »
    Just to update you. I sent them the complaints letter from this site on Tuesday. They've responded to let me know that the certificate was sent and must have gotten lost in the post. And they'll reissue it and send it by signed delivery.

If we don't receive anything then I think I'll have to actually go there and demand it or a refund.

Sounds like a delaying tactic to me. Ask for the signed for tracking number, bet they play games with you over that as well.
  • I received a certificate in the post on Monday. It seems to be the certificate for one of the stones in the ring instead of for the whole thing, an 18ct white gold trilogy ring. I know it's wrong because we wanted to make a change to the ring and were told the certificate already had all the info on it so it couldn't be changed.

Also, the certificate does not exist according to the certifier's website. So even if it was for one of my stones, it's completely useless.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure