Blogging

Comments

• £11.66 earned on Adsense in 14 months - but I don't have huge amounts of traffic! At the moment I'm blogging 95% for me, it's a diary/record of the house I'm renovating.

I think if I ever want to make serious money from it, I need to move it on from being a personal record to making more 'how-to' posts, but I need to experience going through a whole renovation project from start to finish myself first.

I'm enjoying writing it though, and I'm looking at it as something that might provide a better income in a couple of years' time.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Macadamia wrote: »
    Thanks Illona - I have just spent an entertaining hour or so browsing your blog. I love it. It feels like a window on your life and how you live it, it's quirky, personal, and honest. Great stuff!

Thank you, I wondered why my page views have been creeping up again, ha ha. I have written a paper diary since 1963, doing it electronically is an extension of that.

I'm glad you say it's honest, because it's a personal record of how I live my life, and I would not be able to say that if I had guest posts full of adverts, product and service reviews, and stand alone adverts. I have to be true to the principles of my blog which is living a good life on a pension, it's not about making more money.

However, if anyone wants to make money writing a blog, then by all means do it. But I don't consider that is a blog in the true sense of the word. Writing about freebie products or services, is advertising by the back door. At least when you read my blog you know no one is paying me to say nice things about them.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    £11.66 earned on Adsense in 14 months - but I don't have huge amounts of traffic! At the moment I'm blogging 95% for me, it's a diary/record of the house I'm renovating.

I think if I ever want to make serious money from it, I need to move it on from being a personal record to making more 'how-to' posts, but I need to experience going through a whole renovation project from start to finish myself first.

I'm enjoying writing it though, and I'm looking at it as something that might provide a better income in a couple of years' time.

Hi. You've got the right attitude. Keep going with it, lots of hints and tips, throw a few mistakes in there now and again. Make it personal, a few selfies, lots of humour, the struggles and the triumphs, your traffic will increase. I have been writing mine for eight years, it takes a lot of time to build it up. Your times scale of a couple of years is spot on. Your determination will pay off. Best of luck.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Hiya, I've loved reading this posts and a couple of the blogs :-) Can anyone recommend which webhosting service to use please? I'm getting very confused. I read some good articles over on the money shed that recommend Vidahost, which looks good only I've never heard of them and don't know whether to go with that or a more well known brand such as Godaddy...thanks in advance for any advice...
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 November 2016 at 12:26PM
    To make money, you have to have money, in this game, a lot of the time.

e.g. if I were blogging about my great life, cat, dog, family, kids, holidays and things I bought - and was taking photos of all these exciting things, I'd be able to get some sponsorship/partnerships going.

As it is, nobody's interested in: I've done nothing, got nothing, nothing to report here.

:)

You either have to have a lifestyle/hobby people are interested in .... or lie about it. Trouble is, if you try to lie, where are you going to get the photos from :)

I used to make £1500/month. Then things happened and the world changed while my eye was off the ball ... and it slumped to £50/month.

I've been trying to re-work it, but the world's moved on and people "doing it" can outpace me "making it up" so to speak.... although, I'm 10% through my rework and have got it back up to about £250/month without breaking into a sweat.

My heart's not really in it these days though, to be honest.
  • tonycottee
    tonycottee Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    rachelja wrote: »
    Hiya, I've loved reading this posts and a couple of the blogs :-) Can anyone recommend which webhosting service to use please? I'm getting very confused. I read some good articles over on the money shed that recommend Vidahost, which looks good only I've never heard of them and don't know whether to go with that or a more well known brand such as Godaddy...thanks in advance for any advice...

As I said earlier, I used BlueHost. I don't know if they're any better or worse than others but found it fairly easy to use.
    It's one of those things that when you sign up, you stare blankly at the screen for 20 minutes thinking "what now". But you do get used to it after a while. But 2 months in I'm still changing the design to see what looks better.
    If you went with BlueHost I would choose the prime offer at $5.95 a month. That includes domain privacy. When you sign up, if you don't have this, then your personal details will be published at sites like WhoIs. You do get the option on the other choices, but I'm not sure of the cost.
    The cost for the year should come in at about £57.50 depending on exchange rates and fees. And if you go through TopCashback, they are paying out £68.17. So you could be in profit in your first year!
  • rachelja wrote: »

I'm a Vidahost user and I'm amazed at their service. I've never had any down time (that I've noticed) and if there has been any then it's been sorted before it causes a problem, then an apology email has been sent out. I know I can email them with a question or for advice and get a fast response - even at 5pm on a Sunday.

I've seen a lot of negativity on the blogging Facebook groups I use about the bigger hosts - especially GoDaddy, who seem to have loads of downtime :undecided

At the end of the day you need to go with a company that suits your needs and budget - I took a long time to look at other hosts, not just Vidahost because Jon (on TMS) recommended it and it proved to be the best option for me...for now.
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    What's the best blog service to use and how do you link it to adserve or something similar to make money? I started a blog on Wordpress but don't know how to make money from it
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • Blogging indeed is a great way to boost your monthly income but it also requires a lot of hard work and patience. That's the reason most of the people who start blogs leave it after sometime because it's really hard to be consistent at this. If you're willing to start a blog don't expect any return for at least 3 or 4 months.
  • I'm hoping that there are alternatives, better alternatives even, to Google Adsense when trying to monetise a blog.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure