My tv only has 1 HDMI port

Options

Comments

• Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    karatepet wrote: »
    I dont think you need the joiner as the one i posted the cable is detachable,so your cable from the tv should just slot in.

I didn't quote what you posted as I thought the other one superseded it?

I thought I had to get the one qsk provided the link to?

I'm a bit confused now, what do I need?
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 October 2016 at 9:10PM
    Options
    Either one will do the job but the second one is probably better as it has a separate power adapter.

Whichever one you choose, your lead coming out the wall has a male end on it so you need a switch with a female socket output. The first switch does indeed have a detachable output with a female socket so a coupler is not required - apologies.

The second one linked to by qsk also has a female socket output so your tv lead would plug straight in.
  • Kim_kim
    Options
    chrisw wrote: »
    Either one will do the job but the second one is probably better as it has a separate power adapter.

Whichever one you choose, your lead coming out the wall has a male end on it so you need a switch with a female socket output. The first switch does indeed have a detachable output with a female socket so a coupler is not required - apologies.

The second one linked to by qsk also has a female socket output so your tv lead would plug straight in.

Would you be kind enough to link me the extra bits I need please?

I'll get this as the main unit?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-HRS1051-Port-Switch-Remote/dp/B00204ENRK/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1446888609&sr=8-13&keywords=5+port+hdmi+switch
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You don't need any other extra bits, other than maybe some hdmi leads if you don't have enough. The lead from your tv will plug in the output, leads from the other devices will plug into the inputs. If you want the one linked to to be powered (it doesn't have to be but may work more reliably) then you will need a spare mains socket nearby.
  • qsk
    qsk Posts: 424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You don't need any extra pieces, apart from cables. The switch has one output port which you plug the cable that connects your TV, and 5 inputs which you connect with devices. The other two ports are power adapter and remote receiver which all come with the package.
  • Kim_kim
    Options
    qsk wrote: »
    Make sure you get one with an external power adapter, such as
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-HRS1051-Port-Switch-Remote/dp/B00204ENRK/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1446888609&sr=8-13&keywords=5+port+hdmi+switch
    The power from source through HDMI cable may not be sufficient to drive the switch, as it is not intended to.
    You do not need a coupler for switches like this.

This doesn't say it has an ac power source
  • Kim_kim
    Options
    Bump. - any help? I want to order, but I'm not sure the one I've been told to order because it has ac power actually has ac power, can anyone help?
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Options
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    This doesn't say it has an ac power source

Yes it does
  • Kim_kim
    Options
    Yes it does

Is that what this means?

5v DC Power adapter included for long cable runs or non std HDMI
  • emptybox
    emptybox Posts: 442 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2016 at 11:51AM
    Options
    If you scroll down to the question and answer section it specifically says it doesn't come with a power supply.
    It has a 5v DC power socket, but you have to find your own power supply.
    You might find a mobile phone charger that outputs 5v DC would work with it.

You can buy others that do come with a power supply though. For example
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kinivo-301BN-Premium-wireless-adapter/dp/B0049S6ZUS/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1476787702&sr=1-2&keywords=hdmi+switch+powered

Most things will work fine without a power supply, but these little TV boxes - Amazon Fire, Chromecast, Now TV etc may well not work unless there is a power supply connected.

I have one of those pigtail switches linked to by karatepet in post 2, which doesn't have the option of a power supply, and it won't work with my Amazon Fire TV box. It just doesn't recognize it's connected to it, so you can't switch to it. Works fine with my Freesat and Freeview PVR TV boxes though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure