Only freedom will do

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Tax advantaged and tax free accounts for equities and bonds are the 'no brainer' homes for that capital, P2P is very much a nice to have. As a retiree, P2P could still be a great home for a small %age of your money KC :)
    No probs, don't worry, I'm not panicking ;) I just know that you seem to be an "early adopter" so to speak especially as you actually think independent thoughts about this stuff, and don't just follow blindly!
    It is funny, however, that we wake up in a good mood to DD crooning (even when it is 5 in the morning)! To be honest, I am not sure that I could do it again. :eek:
    I know what I and other family members are like when we're sleep deprived - its not mood, as such, in my head, its just feeling bleeping terrible because you haven't had enough sleep :D so I can pretty much understand feeling good to hear the crooning, which sounds really sweet :)
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Is anyone familiar with the book the First N@tional Bank of Dad? It's basically about a guy trying to teach his kids the power of saving by giving them a hefty interest rate for anyone money they invest with his pretend bank (say 5% a month). It strikes me as a clever way of pointing out the power of compound returns, but falls down a little as it will be hard to keep those enthusiasm levels up when his kids reach adulthood and get 0.5%/year on their savings :D

I feel a bit like that with our pensions at the moment. Due to the Brexnanigans, our international-heavy pensions actually earned the same as me last month (more than Mrs E) and it all feels a bit surreal. I can't imagine how weird it must feel when you have £££,£££ invested and things are moving at the pace of a month's wages overnight :eek:

Do any of my more mature readers have any tips for ignoring the wild swings? Just don't look? :)
  • Do any of my more mature readers have any tips for ignoring the wild swings? Just don't look? :)

That's my method. ;) DH was marvelling at his pension account's growth over 4 days last night, but I try to login to mine on the 1st of every month and ignore it otherwise. It's exciting to see the growth, but irrelevant to me as I can't access it for another 25+ years, and who knows what will happen in the meantime. I update once a month for net worth purposes, but that's it.

ETA: DH got me to check my pension (just reached £££,£££ level) and its growth over 10 days was about what we take home every month. Cool, but only academic.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Do any of my more mature readers have any tips for ignoring the wild swings? Just don't look? :)

Yes :)

Look regularly by all means, to a schedule, and have an alert set up to monitor it, but then have a decision *made already* about what you'll do - transfer to a different fund, whatever. My business partner looked at his pension funds every day, sometimes twice a day, during the financial crisis, and it got to a ridiculous stage where he was losing sleep about it but still not doing anything with the information. Moving the money does crystallise the change, though, so its not as simple as moving - as you know, Ed, it depends on what you think is going to happen, amongst a gazillion other things ;)

We were all talking about this sort of thing on Sunday night (of course! three of us in our sixties, how could we not!) and for him, the worst thing of all was *still* having invested one of his major pension funds in Equitable Life :( where the investors got pennies on what they'd put in :(
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • edinburgher
    The plan is to do nothing and stick to the plan :)

I suppose it's the curse of the internet age, it's very easy to get caught up in an endless round of social media updates, forums and balances. It is very addictive.

Saw this in the sidebar:
    Bank of Scotland's Reward and Ultimate Reward accounts will also pay £3/mth rather than £5/mth from next February.
    TSB Classic Plus current account will pay 3% on amounts up to £1,500 from January, down from 5% on up to £2,000.

Damn. Damn. That's a tenner a month gone just like that.
  • edinburgher
    Completely unrelated to anything on this journal, but just saw a wonderful comment from H.R.C. talking about the risks of social media to children in a New York Time5 article:
    When I spoke to her over the Fourth of July weekend in 2015 in New Hampshire, Clinton had clearly been thinking about the impact of new technology on human development and how people communicate. We were talking about mental health and substance abuse, two issues that a lot of voters in New Hampshire were raising with her. She described a meeting with a group that had developed online mental-health programs. One woman predicted to her that a big challenge in mental health over the coming years would be “how to undo the damage that the internet has caused young people.”

It’s striking to me now that Clinton’s main interest in these new media technologies was not so much as a political tool but as a policy concern for the citizenry. Clinton described “the insidious, pernicious comparisons” that online communities can foster in young people, and the temptation to “put out an identity online before it’s ever formed” in real life. Thinking about this exchange 14 months later, after what feels like a generation’s worth of lines crossed and taboos shattered, her concern seems strangely prescient.

She seems pretty cool :)
  • mrsp1987
    mrsp1987 Posts: 815 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Wedding Day Wonder Cashback Cashier
    I imagine as they grow older the interest rates are gradually reduced :D but it's a great way to teach that sort of financial behaviour and knowledge to children. So many people (Young and old) just haven't got a clue! I've heard of people taking out provident loans in order to get a credit history :eek:
  • Completely unrelated to anything on this journal, but just saw a wonderful comment from H.R.C. talking about the risks of social media to children in a New York Time5 article:

She seems pretty cool :)

I agree.

I'm thankful that the stupid things I did as a youngster stay largely in our memories and can't come back to "bite" me today. I fear for the youth of today, the stupid images, posts they put up for the world to see.
    I'm exceptionally protective of my daughters image on social media as I'm aware it's her image, not mine and today's cute baby photos or stories of her latest escapades are eminently less so when you are 25 and trying to develop a professional persona.

We don't have Facebook, Twitter or snapchat. Though we are not technophobes, we just don't have enough time to fritter any of it away reviewing everyone else's lives. Bit too busy living our own actually....

• I'm thankful that the stupid things I did as a youngster stay largely in our memories and can't come back to "bite" me today. I fear for the youth of today, the stupid images, posts they put up for the world to see.
    I'm exceptionally protective of my daughters image on social media as I'm aware it's her image, not mine and today's cute baby photos or stories of her latest escapades are eminently less so when you are 25 and trying to develop a professional persona.

We don't have Facebook, Twitter or snapchat. Though we are not technophobes, we just don't have enough time to fritter any of it away reviewing everyone else's lives. Bit too busy living our own actually....

choccielover - thank you so very much for writing ^ this. Me & DH feel exactly the same - to the extent that we're not bothered about the FB,T or chat apps either - although I am on Wh'app, but that's me that is on it, not my family; and I'm very much over the age of consent. But we too are fiercely protective of Baby Greying's image and 'life'. Unfortunately, we have a family member who just 'doesn't get it', and it has made an exisiting rift an unbreachable canyon, with their stance. What Baby Greying wants to do at 18 is their own affair, but for the moment, we're trying to be resolute and maintain their privacy.

It's so nice to here someone feels the same. We've received an incredible amount of flack from family members, and not much support from our peer group who are mostly childless by choice, or who's children are 'grown & flown' and who didn't have to contend with the extent of social media access when their children were small.

Again, thank you for saying it. You've made me feel more validated in our stance.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £2/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £120.73/215
    Non-food household spend April £25.94/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Charity Blankets completed 1/24
  • edinburgher
    We also use the one mentioned by Greying, but it's strictly to organise gatherings of friends, share baby photos with family etc. I do have a FB account, but it isn't updated and access is controlled to only friends, not friends of friends etc. My internet footprint is minimal, had a quick check and could find less than 5 named references to myself :) Despite my share all posts, I value my privacy! :rotfl:

I do not think that we will be able to hold back the tide until DD is 18, but I will not be one of these parents who gives their child a tablet at 5 years old.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure