Scanned receipts v Actual receipts

Comments

• aldredd
    aldredd Posts: 925 Forumite
    texranger wrote: »
    in our store we will only take the original recipt and never accept a scanned copy.

Right, but it's well established that you do NOT need an original receipt to make a claim under SOGA - so you're wrong, again.

I *really* hope I never find myself in your store.
  • Right, but it's well established that you do NOT need an original receipt to make a claim under SOGA - so you're wrong, again.

True, but you need to prove you purchased it in said store. A store allows for that proof by having security features on their receipts. A scanned receipt can be manipulated in any way, therefore it may not be proof. There would only really be one way to find out and thats for it to end up in front of a judge. However, using a non-original document which will easily be prone to fraud/manipulation Im not sure which way the judge would swing.
    ⚠ 2014 - COUNTDOWN TO INDEPENDENCE ⚠
  • texranger
    texranger Posts: 1,845 Forumite
    Even if the item is faulty?

Do you accept bank statements or other forms of "proof of purchase?" Cant legally see how you can refuse to accept a scanned copy of the receipt if the persons item is faulty and they want an exchange.

if its faulty then card statements are accepted, but a scanned receipt is not an origninal recipt and can be abused, if someone has stolen goods then can keep returning with scanned copies of a receipt with the stolen item for refunds or you can scan a receipt and then using software doctor the receipt to suit your own purpose. If you ask TS /consumer direct you will find that a retailer can refuse scanned copies of receipts
  • texranger
    i have 2 receipts, 1 marks and spencer and 1 john lewis i can scan both these and using simple image software make the john lewis 1 look like it was from marks and spencer and you would not tell the differnce. this is why scanned recipts are not a valid prove of purchase.
  • aldredd
    You could also do the same to a bank statement
    or you could buy yourself a thermal printer and a roll of thermal till paper and create an entire receipt from scratch.
    Not accepting scanned receipts isn't going to solve your shrinkage problem.
  • texranger
    edited 28 December 2011 at 4:48PM
    aldredd wrote: »
    You could also do the same to a bank statement
    or you could buy yourself a thermal printer and a roll of thermal till paper and create an entire receipt from scratch.
    Not accepting scanned receipts isn't going to solve your shrinkage problem.
    speak to TS /consumer direct and you will find out a scanned receipt is NOT a valid proof or purchase. i have been in retail since 1999 and know SoGA

also if you scan an original bank statement then this will show a watermark, so you cannot do it with a bank statement
  • aldredd
    edited 28 December 2011 at 5:17PM
    i have been in retail since 1999 and know SoGA

You and me both (well, 2000) - it's an irrelevant point.
    In fact, whilst I wouldn't normally mention it, I will make an exception today. I happen to work in the HO for one of the biggest retailers in the country / world* - including having worked at store level. Yet I don't use this to claim I know the SOGA inside out.
    also if you scan an original bank statement then this will show a watermark, so you cannot do it with a bank statement

Except most banks now encourage / force you to have paperless statements, so it would just be a paper printout of an online statement.

Also - I know of at least a couple of retailers where you can order online, but return to store - but your only proof of purchase is the emailed order confirmation which you have to print out - no different really.

*For absolute clarification, I in no way claim to be representing or working on behalf of said company whilst on MSE - purely for personal use.
  • texranger
    aldredd wrote: »
    You and me both (well, 2000) - it's an irrelevant point.
    In fact, whilst I wouldn't normally mention it, I will make an exception today. I happen to work in the HO for one of the biggest retailers in the country / world* - including having worked at store level. Yet I don't use this to claim I know the SOGA inside out.

well i am not an employee i am an employer. i run my own retail stores and yes not many do know SoGA inside out but know the main points.
    yes most banks what use to go paperless. but still photocopied/scanned receipts as still not a valid proof of purchase
  • halibut2209
    halibut2209 Posts: 4,248 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Do you have a source for that? (Genuine enquiry, not trying to be a smartalec :) )
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
  • texranger
    Do you have a source for that? (Genuine enquiry, not trying to be a smartalec :) )

call TS/consumer direct and they will tell you this
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport