PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Removing Tippex

Hi

I hope someone can help. My son has spilt tippex on his black school blazer, can anyone tell me how to remove this?

Thanks

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    found this

http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/utilityroom/stain%20removal%20tw.htm

Scrape off as much of the white deposits as possible, as soon as possible. Clean off the remainder with a little white spirit. (might be worth trying the white spirit inside the blazer first !)
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Some shops sell tippex thinner, so maybe a few applications of that might help. Though I've never actually tried it on Tippex, I've found that nail varnish remover shifts a lot of stains, including some "permanent" inks. Again, you should test on an inconspicuous area first. It's easier to wash out the smell of nail varnish remover afterwards than white spirit. And give your son a kick up the backside!
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Depends a bit on the type of 'tippex' these days, as there are a few solvent-free ones about now.

Assuming it's ordinary traditional tippex, nail varnish remover will work as it is Acetone (also called propanone, propan-2-one, dimethyl formaldehyde, dimethyl ketone) ie the same as tippex thinners.

Do test on an 'inconscpicuous' part of the blazer first, as the acetone might dissolve the material if its a nasty man-made material.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'd scrape the worst off with a thumb nail and not worry about it too much - there are far worse things a blazer could be covered in ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • bootman
    bootman Posts: 1,985 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    This brings back memories. When my son was little,he got a bottle of tippex out of the desk drawer.

I thought he was playing in his room. Oh no, he decided to paint everything with tippex. Walls,doors the telly you name it he put it on it. :eek:

I tried thinners,but ended up scraping it off. There is still some on the telly though! :rotfl: Not funny at the time though.
  • Solvent free Tippex is rubbish. No-one in their right mind would use it, given the choice. No doubt it's easier to wash out of clothes; it's a shame it's not much use for its intended purpose.
    If all else fails (and I've used this trick myself) draw over the stain with a permanent marker. This is surprisingly effective. You'll still see it because you know it's there and you know where to look, but others are unlikely to notice.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Savvy_Sue wrote:
    I'd scrape the worst off with a thumb nail and not worry about it too much - there are far worse things a blazer could be covered in ...

I agree with the suggestion posted by Savvy_Sue.

I had to remove white blobs from a red baseball cap.:rolleyes: I didn't want to use solvents because I was worried the white blobs would smear or spread. I gently scratched the blobs with a finger nail and every trace was removed.:j

Try it before you apply any solvent cleaners..........hopefully you'll save money and not make the stain worse by smearing or spreading.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Bendybops19
    Bendybops19 Posts: 11,212 Forumite
    Yeah as Nile has mentioned, be very careful with it smearing - its happened to me! Scaping off is the best bet.

Good luck!

xx
    :starmod: :staradmin :starmod:
    I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my knickers
    :starmod: :staradmin :starmod:
  • annie12
    annie12 Posts: 789 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My son has got Tippex on his black school trousers:eek:
    Does Anyone know how to remove it?

annie
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Someone posted the other day about how to remove paint.

They said use a plastic scrunchie bath puff thing, with some fabric conditioner on, and rub.

Tippex is similar to paint so maybe that would work.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure