Pet Insurance Cost Cutting System/MoneySavingExpert.com Discussion

Comments

• Tesco has just introduced today an 'ongoing' dog insurance instead of being restricted to 12 month period. Was quite competitive, worth investigating if your insurance is due for renewal.
  • Tomthumb
    Tomthumb Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Which is the best one for insuring an African Grey Parrot? Does anyone know? TIA
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    I insured my puppy with Sainsburys 3 months ago. A month later he was stung by a bee in his mouth. I took him to vets and over 3 weeks spent £100 on iinjections, sprays and tabs.

However, because I had an excess of £60 and because the vet (though is was totally obvious it was the same injury continuing) said he thought perhaps the third visit was an infection not related (methinks he didnt like to say he had bodged on the first visit!) I didnt get a penny back.

Then I also realised Sainsburys was £6000 limit per condition, which meant if pup got say exzema (as my last dog did), at £30 for tabs a month, that would run out in a few years.

So I read up on here and rang M and S. Very surprised how good they were, lifetime cover, no excess and only about 90p more than Sainsburys per month. I am just a bit concerned that they have age bands and wonder whether you are in for a big hike in price as the dog gets older?

I must check out this Tesco pet insurance someone has flagged up.
  • hethmar
    Ive checked out the new "extra cover" Tesco insurance someone flagged up (as Ive just changed to M and S). I collect Tesco points and thought they would have offered a good deal but was disappointed.

Tescos isnt life time cover. It is similar to Sainsburys but with a lower limit. Basically it covers the pet for £4000 PER CONDITION.

If the condition is say a broken leg then the limit on that one condition will be £4000 whatever happens, say the leg doesnt heal and needs more surgery or it breaks again a year later or has to be amputated or causes arthritis or whatever. It also has a minimum excess of £40 per bill.

I still think M and S is the best one Ive found so far. Just a bit concerned if the cost increases when the dog gets older.:think:
  • does anyone know of a company that offers discounts for the number of cats you have? I have 6 cats, and I want to get them insured but could not afford the annual premium for each one unless I got a discount for multiple policies. any advice would be greatful. thanks.
  • hethmar
    I think most companies offer discount for multiple pets. Try Marks and Spencers which seem to have the most comprehensive cover for the best price.
  • Where and how can I get pet insurance for a cat that is already receiving treatment ? Our beloved kitty currently has no insurance and after countless visits to the vet already (and fees) I'm nervous that these costs will spiral - I suspect an operation will be needed for the injury soon too.

Can anyone help or advise what my options are ? I presume telling half-truths to any insurer will get me absolutely nowhere. Thanks.
  • Sadly, I feel that if there's a pre-existing condition, then it won't be covered by insurance, but I will be happy to be proved wrong.

HTH.
  • if you are in receipt of some state benefits the pdsa, rspca or blue cross (depends which is local to you) will treat your cat free - they just ask for a small donation.

I have always used the pdsa and they are superb.
  • Katinkka
    Katinkka Posts: 426 Forumite
    If you don't qualify for free treatment I dont think theres anything you can do. Telling lies wont work as they will check the records if they suspect anything.

Sorry about your pet. WE had a cat from the rspca and it cost us £1k in fees before it died. :( we insure our cats now.
    :heart2:I have a child with autism.:heart2:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport