Back2credit

Hi all,

I've been contacted by a company called back2credit saying they can put me on a debt management plan. This is something I was looking into anyway as I'm in a bit of a mess but I googled the company when I came off the phone and couldn't find much. I haven't signed or agreed to anything or given them any bank/card details luckily, 8' case it is a scam

Has anyone heard of them?

Thanks

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,825 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 21 October 2016 at 3:54PM
    Hi,

No, but they will most likely be a fee charging debt management company, the kind of leeches you really should steer well clear of.

If your looking to start a DMP, then you should contact one of the free debt charities for advice :

Stepchange
    Payplan

or just for advice

National Debtline.

Both stepchange and payplan can set up a free DMP for you, wont cost you a penny, and has no risk involved with regard to your money.

A company you pay for a DMP can go bust at any time, taking all your money with it, which is why we recommend you dont touch any of them with a barge pole.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Kyzordz

Not necessarily a scam, no, but I wouldn't advise you to pay a commercial firm for a debt management plan. There are free alternatives, whether by using one of the debt advice charities or even negotiating your own arrangements with creditors. Paying fees does not give you any extra legal protection - in fact it's often quite the opposite.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    They seem legit but only have interim permission from the FCA to trade.

http://fca-consumer-credit-interim.force.com/CS_RegisterSearchPageNew?accId=664891

They are open about their fees:
    Initial set up fee which is 50% for your 1st two monthly repayments. For example if you are paying £100 on a DMP then the initial set up fee would be £50.00 for the 1st two months which would be a total of £100 set up fee.

Monthly management fee which is £32.50 or 16.5% whichever is greater subject to a maximum of £100.00.

I see no reason why you would use them in preference to stepchange or payplan.
  • katy_ann
    katy_ann Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I have not heard of them but if they charge a fee then I wouldn't go near them with a barge pole, I can't recommend stepchange enough, they were amazing with me and I have also heard fantastic things about PayPlan although I haven't used them :)
    Debt free once - Back again | Current debt: £3002.96 - January 2023 | Currently repaying £50 a month - Estimated DFD Jan 2028 | Make £2023 in 2023 #51 - £33.75/£2023
  • Thankyou all :) a few wasn't mentioned to me over the phone you see which is partly why I checked - I hadn't heard of them at all either which made me suspicious. I'll look into step change :) to be honest I don't have a lot of debt but I have a bit to shift due to having some problems a few months back and missing some payments, which has now spiralled a bit. I wouldn't have minded paying a company to help me with my finances but it hadn't occurred to me they could go bust and I'd be left stuck!

Thankyou all for your help :)
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Kyzordz wrote: »
    I wouldn't have minded paying a company to help me with my finances

Thankyou all for your help :)

No no no, don't pay ANY company to help you with your finances. As said above, Stepchange, National Debtline, and Payplan, and Christians Against Poverty, can all help you, with NO FEES to pay.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • In addition to paying fees, these sort of companies can go bust overnight, taking all your money with them. There have been many instances of this over the past year or so. Several not having made payments on clients behalf over several months despite the clients having made payments to them, leaving clients worse off overall.

And if the company contacted you initially via a cold call, then that is an even bigger warning sign not to touch them with a barge pole.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure