How to be warm in bed without very heavy duvets?

Comments

• tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We have an electric blanket and flannel bedding, only need the blanket on for 15 mins so its economical and sliding into a warm cosy flannel bed is just fab.
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,013 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Duvets are not heavy and certainly wouldn't be pressing down on your knee. The down / feather ones are so light and fall around the body in a way that the man made ones don't. They tend to be a sort of cage with cold gaps around the body.

My tips-

Wear pj bottoms with cuffs. Loose legged bottoms, I find, tend to move up the leg leaving uncovered parts of leg. This was a revelation to me and worked wonders.

If you have a bedtime companion have separate duvets. Having one each stops the gaps and stops one big one being 'stolen' by your partner overnight. Having one each is typical on the continental mainland, even in hotels. Works so well too.

Electric blanket for one hour before bed. Fab.

Flannelette sheets and duvet cover. Extra fab. Never mind pillow covers, I find they made my head too hot.

Layers - thin ones, vest, t-shirt, pj top etc.

Hot water bottle - my elderly mum swears by hers.

Socks on - not my favourite thing but I'm sure it works. I find that my socks end up hidden amongst the duvet as I've obviously taken them off overnight.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Bedding layers as well, but not stuffed into the same cover. I have a duvet and a bedspread/throw type thing which I pull on top when it's cold. It's lightweight, but it does make e reasonable difference.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 11 October 2016 at 2:49PM
    As above get a warm mattress topper. I've got a memory foam mattress which is very warm. Before this I was much colder on a standard mattress. When I go camping I use a self inflating mattress which is full of foam. Before this I tried an airbed which was freezing, both using the same sleeping bag. Try using one of your duvets underneath you although a proper mattress topper shouldn't compress as much so should be warmer.

I use a silk duvet which is light and warm and also good for allergy sufferers but they're not cheap.
  • Regarding clothing I can only wear synthetic materials such as shell as cotton material or anything similar with any kind of pile will give me a reaction.

So I wear sports clothes which allow me to breath while also being of suitable material. Sure they are not warm but I have to layer up :)
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Memory foam topper/ 4.5t duvet under bed sheet.

The get microfiber filled duvet. feather down filled duvet could be warmer, but since you got allergy, it may not be suitable.

And before you sleep soak your feet in hot water or having a quick hot shower. Then wear thermal socks
  • Cisco001 wrote: »
    Memory foam topper/ 4.5t duvet under bed sheet.

The get microfiber filled duvet. feather down filled duvet could be warmer, but since you got allergy, it may not be suitable.

And before you sleep soak your feet in hot water or having a quick hot shower. Then wear thermal socks

I use dust mite proof covers so the duvet material should not be an issue.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,510 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Wool duvet. Excellent warmth, but far less bulky than feather and down duvets. Also choose brushed cotton duvet and sheets. Far warmer.
  • Hmm wool is very expensive and if the tog is only average (i saw one for only 10 tog which costs 60 quid on ebay) then it is a big cost for not much in regards to warmth; considering I needed nearly 40 tog to see me through in other years.
  • hc25036
    hc25036 Posts: 387 Forumite
    We found these pure wool duvets at a show - http://www.baavet.co.uk/shop/. The sales talk seemed too got to be true, and they are not cheap, but we have the problem that I need less warmth and my wife needs a warmer duvet. We find the medium weight to punch well above what you'd expect and I'd guess the winter weight one would do you fine without being too heavy.

No links to the seller - just a slightly surprised normally cynical customer !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure