Credit card processing - help! - who is cheapest???

Comments

• Hi Dannycg

Sorry for the belated reply i don't get on here that often!

In response to your questions:

I did ask about buying a "terminal" but was advised it is expensive and you need on going support, apparently they update the terminal as part of the care package you get with the rental, also they will swap the terminal within 24 hours if it breaks. To be honest i think it just sounded much easier to pay £15 a month and be able to call on someone else if needed!

Ummmmmm.... have no idea about the debit card payments question. not such a pro after all eh. i guess it might be but why would you want to only take one type of card?

I think there are different options for the contract, mine is just the standard 36 months but they did say there were shorter ones available with different charges, you should ask them direct, if you tell them exactly what you are after they have so many different options.

Hope this helps Danny! Let us know how you get on!

The company i used was acceptcards, i just went on their website but their number is 01422 382 408.

All the best
    Rox
  • chrisb1357
    chrisb1357 Posts: 836 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi all,

I have just started my own PC Support comapny for home users and was also thinking what is the cheapest and best way to take credit cards. As of now i have not needed to take any but i am sure more people would like to pay by card.

Any ideas?

Chris
  • Hi
    This is the first time I have used a forum and hoping someone will give me some good advise re setting up a card terminal. I have run a busy B&B for 17 years and now find tghe need to set up a card payment method as some countried have withdrawn cheques altogether. My problem is that my business is seasonal and having to pay for 12 months subscription when I will only use it for say 7 months makes it an expensive option. Also, I want to retire some time in the not too distant future, but the contracts you have to take out are for something like 2 or 3 years - the bank needs to reclaim the cost of the terminal ssomehow,. Through a previous participant of this subject, I have been in contact with acceptcards.co.uk but so far they have no easy asnwer. Has anyone out there got one!
  • qw3rt7
    qw3rt7 Posts: 243 Forumite
    @Jenni
    Paypal virtual terminal. It allows you to enter card details via an online portal, and take payment that way, much the same as using a physical machine (but no chip & pin obviously). If you need to use it face to face rather than over the phone, just have a laptop at your reception desk.
    It costs £20 per month and the fees are quite high, around 4% for a low turnover account, but there is no min contract, so you can turn in off over winter if you like.
  • Hello qw3rt7,

Thank you for that. I use Paypal with e-bay sometimes, but I had previously been warned off using it on a regular basis, perhaps because of its high costs. It would certainly work for the overseas visitors who need a payment method. Jenni
  • qw3rt7 wrote: »
    @Jenni
    Paypal virtual terminal. It allows you to enter card details via an online portal, and take payment that way, much the same as using a physical machine (but no chip & pin obviously). If you need to use it face to face rather than over the phone, just have a laptop at your reception desk.
    It costs £20 per month and the fees are quite high, around 4% for a low turnover account, but there is no min contract, so you can turn in off over winter if you like.

Hi,
    Just an update regarding paypal virtual terminal. I signed up for this intending to use it in a customer present environment (my wife makes jewellery and sells to people at home), but was told my Paypal that the machine CANNOT be used when the customer is present as it breaches the terms of their agreements with the card companies. It is fine to take payments over the phone, but couldn't have a pc on the desk and take payments when people arrive.

Hope this helps
    Paul
  • Hello Paul,

I understand what you say - nobody makes it easy for the seasonal or occasional customers. I suppose in your wife's case, customers can always use a mobile phone!
  • ROXYANNA wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I have recently set up a small cafe where we sell gifts as well, we have been looking into getting a credit card machine but as this is the first time we have done it we are not sure how it all works.

I have spoken to my bank and they have given me some prices but the set up fee is £250 and then there is monthly service charges, transaction charges and rental for the machine on top, at this rate we cannot afford it which is going to cause huge problems!

Does anyone know if i have to use the same bank account for this as my business, i've heard on the grapevine that you can go to other banks and leave your business bank account seperate?? if so who is the cheapest to go with?

Any advice would be appreciated, and the sooner the better!

Thanks all.

Roxyanna
    :confused:

You may want to look into joining the federation of small businesses - they have discounts on merchant services for members and will also be able to give you good advice.
  • If you are a customer at Booker Cash and Carry, you can get a terminal from Elavon which pays directly into your nominated bank account (no merchant account nonsense) and costs just over 1% for credit and about 12p for debit cards.

As far as I can find, definitely the cheapest Ive seen
  • redndead99 wrote: »
    If you are a customer at Booker Cash and Carry, you can get a terminal from Elavon which pays directly into your nominated bank account (no merchant account nonsense) and costs just over 1% for credit and about 12p for debit cards.

As far as I can find, definitely the cheapest Ive seen

I am also currently shopping around for card payment providers...

I have been warned (by a rival provider - so maybe needs to be taken with a pinch of salt) that Elavon are prone to taking on customers on a great initial rate and a few months down the line sending a letter out stating that their fees are going up for whatever reason.

Anyone here with any experience of Elavon think there is any truth in that warning?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure