Selling photos online... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Comments

• shopbot
    shopbot Posts: 1,022 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    JennG18 wrote: »
    Hi I am new to all this, and looking to get started, I have photo's that I want to sell but some of the websites say they have to be a certain size, a hell of a lot bigger than the original photos... what can I do to prepare them for selling?

sorry if I sound completely useless like I said I am new to it,

really looking for some advice and guidance!

thank you

You need to upsize them using a program like photoshop.
  • JennG18
    JennG18 Posts: 80 Forumite
    just me agian

as I said I am new to this so please don't just shoot me down...

could someone explain this to me
    We require you to upload hi-resolution jpeg images with pixel dimensions of at least 2400 pixels along the longest length which roughly equates to an image size (not jpeg file size) of around 10Mb.

:embarasse

thanks xx
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    JennG18 - if using a digital camera it would be best to have a higher resolution one (where the resolution is not interpolated, any good brand [canon, kodak, hp] should fit this requirement).

If scanning prints, you probably need to select a higher resolution on the scanner or get a higher resolution scanner.

Upsizing using photoshop will work but will make the quality poorer, particularly on large size prints, which is probably why they want them to be so big.
  • JennG18
    shopbot wrote: »
    You need to upsize them using a program like photoshop.

thanks for replying, I am tinkering with them in photoshop, I have been using it for years but never to do this so suddenly its all become new ground to me, I am feeling a little lost
  • shopbot
    just me agian

as I said I am new to this so please don't just shoot me down...

could someone explain this to me

:embarasse

thanks xx

JPEG is the file type that they require. Your photos should have a title which ends with .jpg The pixels dimensions define how big your photo is in terms of height and width. This can be altered in your computer. If you post the software you have then someone can tell you how to do it. The file size is how much data there is in the image.
  • shopbot
    thanks for replying, I am tinkering with them in photoshop, I have been using it for years but never to do this so suddenly its all become new ground to me, I am feeling a little lost

What sort of camera are you using? A high end SLR can produce that sort of resolution either whith no upsizing or a small amount. However if you are using a lower resolution camera then you will need to upsize a lot and that will affect the image quality. This is more important as the prints become larger.
  • JennG18
    unfortunately it was a borrowed camera I used and I can't remember the specifics, I didn't take the photo's with the intention of selling them at the time I just thought they where nice shots, so I didn't pay much attention.

To be honest I am not even sure if the photo's are good enough, I like them but it doesn't mean anyone else will.
  • shopbot
    If you are not sure about whether your photos will sell then maybe test the water by using an online photo site such as www.flickr.com Post your photos up and people will people will be able to comment on them. You could put a note on to say that you want an honest critique. Alternatively join a photo specific website such as https://www.dcmag.co.uk or https://www.ephotozine.com and ask the regulars for their opinions. You will get a quick honest response. Remember to downsize your photos if you post them to online sites to prevent people stealing your images. Photoshop or similar will allow you to resize them.
  • novelli
    novelli Posts: 646 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you upload the photos on the above sites tho can people not download them for free????
  • yeah they could novelli but you could also put a "watermark" on them certain programs allow this, otherwise go on to paint and write your name across it!
    :jThe Money Saving Wannabe :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport