i want to make my son a christmas sack or stocking

Options
but have no idea where to start or what to put on the front does anyone know of any templates?

Comments

• mary43
    mary43 Posts: 5,845 Forumite
    Options
    Cant help you with the templates I'm afraid but some years back I made some 'sacks' for my two boys from pillow cases...........hadn't got any red ones at the time but had some old ones I'd dyed dark brown, got some assorted felt and cut out very basic images of a snowman (easy -just two different size circles and a little hat and eyes) and a santa head (another case of a circle for the face and very basic shape for the beard and hat and eyes)
    Saved a lot on buying them at the time. Good luck
    Mary

I'm creative -you can't expect me to be neat too !
    (Good Enough Member No.48)
  • Menolly_2
    Menolly_2 Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    I made Christmas sacks for the grandchildren when they were babies. I used a "pattern" from an old edition of the Readers Digest Complete Guide to Sewing to make the sack itself (it was the pattern for a laundry sack).
    I used two pieces of fleece for the sack and before I sewed the two together, I stitched on a decorative panel that I had made up first. That way, if I wasn't happy with the design it meant that I didn't mess up the sack itself.
    For the first sack I copied a design from a Christmas card and used scraps of fabric which I applied to the panel using Bondaweb (an iron on double sided fusible). The second and third sacks, I was pressed for time so I went to a local quilting fabric/craft store and bought a pre-printed panel with a Santa design on (I think it was meant to be made up as a cushion). I got some very thin wadding and sandwiched it between the panel and a same-sized piece of fabric (actually part of an old sheet) and then quilted the whole lot together on the machine. I then sewed binding round the raw edges and stitched the whole panel to the sack panel, then made up the sack.
    The sacks themselves I lined with old sheeting - made a bag up the same size and stitched the two together, then turned the top over to make a channel of the right size and then threaded pajama cord through so the sack could be gathered up at the top and closed.

For a stocking - the Ideal Home Christmas magazine has a template for one, you need to enlarge it on a photocopier to 400%. The article also gives ideas for decorating stockings. I've also just googled Christmas Sack Patterns and there are loads of free patterns out there with ideas for decorating them too.

Hope this helps a bit, I'm afraid I'm better at doing it than explaining it!

Hugs, Menolly
    Obedient women are never remembered in History!

November Grocery Challenge: 03/11/10 Spent £77.84:)
    10/11/10 Spent £84.95 17/11/10 Spent £79.63 24/11/10 Spent £75.39 :j
    December Grocery Challenge 30/11/10 Spent £32 Clubcard Vouchers and £79.15 Cash. 08/12/10 Spent £77.73 Cash and £127.50 Clubcard Vouchers - Christmas is now sorted!!! :snow_grin
  • sarahf191979
    sarahf191979 Posts: 3,077 Forumite
    Options
    Found some lovely ones the other week, can't find the tread where i put them now, but heres the links, with instructions:

Bare Foot Stocking

http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts?page=CraftDisplay&craftid=11056

Classic Stocking

http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts?page=CraftDisplay&craftid=11052

Cowboy Boot Stocking

http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts?page=CraftDisplay&craftid=11055

Elf Boot Stocking

http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts?page=CraftDisplay&craftid=11054

HTH

:beer:
    :D:D:D:D:D
    Where's the Coffee?? Show me the Coffee NOW!!
  • charlottecarter
    Options
    We always buy packs of value pillow cases and then I paint the children's names on them and the kids get to decorate them on Christmas Eve - they love it and it keeps them busy for a little while when I'm trying to do a thousand other things!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure