How to value First Day Covers

I've come into some interesting First Day Covers (letters that have gone through the post) and I'd be interested to know whether they are worth anything.

Is there anywhere I can find out, please?

Comments

• wadewade wrote: »
    I've come into some interesting First Day Covers (letters that have gone through the post) and I'd be interested to know whether they are worth anything.

Is there anywhere I can find out, please?

I'd have a look on Ebay, search under "FDC" (First Day Covers) and you should see pretty much every FDC that's ever been issued. It might not give you an exact price, but for those just about to end, it'll give you a rough idea of what they're worth. You could always click on "watch this sale" too, so that you can come back and view what the end of sale price was.

I'm not a stamp collector, I;m an ex-postman. So I don't know too much about FDC's, but I used buy and sell ex-Royal Mail items on Ebay and any search for Royal Mail, will always throw up a shed-load of FDC sales, so much so that I used to exclude the search term "first day covers - FDC" .

Failing that, I'm sure there has to be some kind of philately site that'll give you a rough price guide... Stanley Gibbons maybe????
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,190 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm sure I'm getting the reputation of being all doom and gloom but I bought 100 FDCs from 1955 onwards at auction for £10 planning to make a killing, have so far managed to sell one for 75p.

Blooming things, they don't even sell for the face value of the stamps. I keep hoping i'll come across a rare one and make a fortune, but I've checked through about 75 so far on ebay without any success. Stanley Gibbons issue books of prices and according to that I should be sitting on around £60 of FDcs, which is no use if no one will buy them.

I also aquired from a relative some mint presentation packs, this time from about the 1970s onwards, I sold a few on ebay and then realised I was selling at less than face value, so I am now just opening the packs and using the stamps on my mail.

When I was young stamp collecting (philately) was a huge hobby but it seems to have completely died now.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure