What food can I take on a plane??

We are travelling with Jet2 the only excluded items I can see are self heating foods.

Do you know if we can take our own sandwiches?

Thanks

We are travelling tomorrow - to Lake Vinuela - there has been great weather til this week!! Brightens up again on Wednesday - our return trip!!

LOL
ACII and Chartered so now I can focus on learning to play my beautiful Sax. 🎷

Comments

• Hi

Yes you can take your sandwiches, we did last week when we flew to and from turkey with first choice.

even took my own minature vodkas, as they are only 50ml bottles.

enjoy your holiday
  • boombap
    boombap Posts: 765 Forumite
    Butties will be fine :)

Last year I was going to Cuba and for some reason decided to fill a thermos flask with mini Scotch eggs and sausage rolls in my hand luggage. The security man asked if the flasks were empty and I cryptically answered "no, but there's no liquid in there either"....he looked a bit puzzled and had a quick peek and I was allowed to proceed.

Incidentally the scotch eggs lasted for three days!

S.
  • My understanding is that once you have passed through security, any food and drink you purchase in the Duty Free area can be taken on board. Just don't be tempted to bring anything through security as they will confiscate it. In other words, don't make sandwiches at home and don't buy them in the airport before Security although I have taken unopened bags of crisps and nuts through :confused: Just don't take 'anything' through that you are not prepared to lose. If in doubt ask before you buy ;)
  • don't make sandwiches at home and don't buy them in the airport before Security
    security as they will confiscate it

not true, on the 12th sept i took to turkey, made in my kitchen,

4 ham salad barm cakes, 4 pies, 4 sausage rolls, 4 packets of crisp, packet of cashew nuts, 12 minature vodkas, 4 plastic cups,

all in one carrier bag, none were taken of us, and security laughed at my minatures all clingfilmed

22nd sept first choice flight back from turkey to manchester.

4 cheese sandwiches, crisp, large bottles of water and pop, again minatures.

And all with no problem
  • Well I think you were very lucky! As was I when I returned from Malaga and as my case was overweight I had to clear out anything heavy to get past paying any charges. I put my suntan/aftersun lotion amongst other things in my hand luggage and got through security :eek: I was prepared to lose it but took the chance. So as I said, if you are happy to lose belongings then try it. I hope you didn't drink your minatures on the plane 'Saint_Chris' as that's not allowed either ;) I don't know how you got through with them being clingfilmed as all liquids have to be in a sealable plastic bag!
  • I hope you didn't drink you minatures on the plane 'Saint_Chris' as it's not allowed

of course i did, i bought diet coke from whsmiths in the airport, took our own plastic glasses, and poured our own on the plane.

even got ice of the air steward.
  • Aidenr
    Aidenr Posts: 208 Forumite
    of course i did, i bought diet coke from whsmiths in the airport, took our own plastic glasses, and poured our own on the plane.

that is soo funny.
    however, I know on the airline that I work for it is an offence to drink your own booze !
    I know first choice etc charge, but we dont. I am pretty sure that it is not just our airline that do not allow it. I think it is the case on all airlines and the crew member may not have known you had booze.

I would recommend checking before cracking open a bottle of cheap voddy

A
    I am a Travel Agent
    My company’s ABTA number is V2043. MSE doesn't check my status as a Travel Agent, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Travel Agent Code of Conduct.
    I am also Cabin Crew, my posts are my own and not that of the airline or other company
  • of course i did, i bought diet coke from whsmiths in the airport, took our own plastic glasses, and poured our own on the plane.

So you got away with it, doesn't mean it's right :confused: What we all try to get away with is one thing but it is not the correct procedure and that's why I informed the OP not to take anything through that they weren't prepared to lose.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,566 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I bought a very small bottle of wine (just like they sell you on plane) at airport and opened it on Ryanair flight from Palma. Trolley dolly told me to put it away as I shouldn't be drinking it - apparently you can only drink what they sell you to monitor your drinking! It didn't help that she thought she was someone senior and didn't like the fact I'd asked her to find out how long my pizza would be!

Never had a problem with sandwiches. I do it regularly rather than eat airline yuk.
  • It was my understanding that you couldn't take any food or drink through Security let alone a home made packed lunch :confused: I've always bought a sandwich, crisps, etc from 'Boots' in Duty Free on short haul flights when needed which has never been a problem. My Dad travels a lot to Malaga and Malta and dares not take anything with him that he can't consume before Security as he's had sandwiches and drinks taken off him and binned.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure