Do you tip your hairdresser?

Options

Comments

• Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My Hairdresser is mobile and self-employed, and therefore sets her own rates. I don't tip, as she should presumably set her rates at a level she is happy with. If she doesn't, that's not my problem.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I get my hair dry cut every 6-8 weeks. What I do is as I have friends who work in cosmetic halls in department stores and in SpaceNK. I get loads of minis and samples given to me. As I have sensitive skin cannot use most so keep them and when I go to my hairdresser just give her a goodie bag. She loves it.
  • WalterShannon
    Options
    You should if you don`t want to become bald :rotfl:
  • CattyCatX
    Options
    Never tipped a hairdresser (or a delivery driver/pizza delivery driver etc) - didn't even realise it was a 'thing' until fairly recently! It had honestly never occurred to me (particularly as have to save up to go to the hairdresser as it is). The only people I've ever tipped are restaurant staff and taxi drivers... I do have a good relationship with my current hairdresser and asked her about it this week actually and she said most people don't tip and she doesn't expect it, as most pay by card. She said when she used to work in a smaller town/'poorer' area the prices were lower, most people paid in cash and she did tend to get a tip then but that she earns far more now due to higher prices and commission on product sales etc
    I
  • Staceyjean
    Staceyjean Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    No. I don't tip my hairdresser. I pay a realistic amount for my hair to be done and don't think it is necessary.
    A friend of mine is a hairdresser in a country town says almost everyone tips there.
    I live in a city and pay much more. So no.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    £2-3 - I like her, she does a good job and I know its a job notorious for back problems
  • queengoth
    queengoth Posts: 135 Forumite
    edited 6 March 2018 at 5:37PM
    Options
    I have gone to the same lady for the last 20 years, a cut is under a tenner a colour and cut and the works about £35. I tip £1 after a cut and about £3 after a colour. I think I have tipped the same for the last 20 years so she will not be retiring on it yet. I am sure it is generational, mum always tipped so I think I assumed that is what you do. Next time it going to be Vietnamese Currency as she is going away, it will be enough for a plate of noodles !

Thinking about it now I may up it a bit, that quid has devalued so much.
    Shady pines ma, shady pines
  • shonsay
    shonsay Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Interesting, I've always wondered this too. It usually ends with the awkward walk to the till where I fumble about in my purse and end up giving them £3-4 tip.

I'm going to stop tipping them though. I think the whole tip thing perhaps applied before the days of minimum wage. They make a fair wage nowadays. It doesn't make sense, you don't tip a checkout operative, postman or other service provider.
  • Loanranger
    Loanranger Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, always.
    I consider it mean not to. I don't envy her her job on her feet all day. IMO, if you can afford a haidresser then you can afford a tip, doesn't have to be more than a token. It shows an appreciation of her work and expertise.
  • H1a3rt
    H1a3rt Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    I tip mine as much as possible, hes worth it....

by the way I cut my own hair :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport