PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Afternoon everyone

moneyistooshorttomention - glad you enjoyed your lunch out - doggy bags are great aren't they :) Thanks for the good wishes

Farway - glad your tummy has settled, hard to beat the combination of tea, sunshine and cherry blossom to perk you up:D

karcher - hope the protein thing works for you, I do find it helps me if I get up with the "hungries" to stop me grazing my way through the day:)

Unfortunately Farway hasn't been the only one with a dodgy tum, my poor pooch's tummy has shall we say been a bit unsettled today _pale_ He's fast asleep now so hopfully whatever upset him has passed - if nothing else my floors have been thoroughly mopped so the house is smelling fresh;)

Weather has not picked up and is now very windy which is making it feel even colder, after wearing as many layers as I could I gave in a few hours ago and put the neating on :( I was grateful for a bowl of lentil soup from my freezer stash at lunchtime to heat me up & it went well with my bagel:)

Just seen the news re the attack in Westminster - how terrible:mad:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 March 2017 at 6:56PM
    Have you thought of growing any food ...

Earth/dirt, getting dirt under my nails, among other issues prevent me from gardening.

No knowledge, no skill, no equipment, no interest....and I'd not fancy eating it as it'd gross me out if I'd seen any creepy crawlies near it etc etc.

I haven't been able to use my rosemary because a friend's dog wee'd on it over 2 years ago ...for example :)

EDIT: Had my tea :) 2 crumpets with chocolate spread on....and I took the last two scones from the freezer, so they'll be scoffed later.
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Farway wrote: »
    Yesterday left me with tum ache and a bit of the runs this morning. I think it was the half small pineapple + banana + LO 1/8 tin of custard that did it for me. I fancied it around 8 ish last night, and think it was really too late to eat before bed time. Lesson learned, and at least the pineapple has now gone

Thus it was nil by mouth for breakfast on safety grounds, and decided, and made, potato & celery soup for this evening, I have made it before & like this one, only 3 main ingredients, the title gives clue for two of them, other is an onion

Should be fine with a couple of my getting more stale daily baps, at least they will be fine for dunking in the soup

Lunch was cheese & tomato / cucumber sandwich an easy option

With cups of tea along the way it is turning out to be the silver lining of a tum ache cloud, and now the sun is out and it is spring again, from my window I can see the ornamental cherry tree a cloud of pink against the blue sky

Sorry to be a bit cheerful ;)

Ohhhh Cherry tree how lovely, Sprng s my absolute favourite season cant wait to get the garden going again, its too cold and wet today but I can admire the Forsythia and daffs outside my window whilst sitting in the warm lol.
    Glad your Tum s a bit better.
    Slimming World at target
  • caronc
    edited 22 March 2017 at 8:55PM
    Well lovely gardening chap visited and we have plan to economically make the allotment part of my garden more mobility friendly and hopefully he can start at the weekend weather permitting:) He's going to source tubs and boards from the local recycling centre that my various tub buckets can sit on so I don't need to bend a very practical, cheap and OS solution so I'm delighted:D Just need to get my proverbial in gear and work out what I want to grow and more importantly how much for a "one" household:)

I'm terrible for eating late in the evening a legacy of not getting home from work until after 7 and a habit of liking to get my chores done otherwise they fell in to the cba category before I ate means dinner for me tends to be 9ish - can't say it affects my sleep. I have tried eating earlier but just end up "munchy" around 9 so think I'll stick with it and the joy of CFO means I can please myself. :DStill haven't completely decided what to have tonight but it will involve chicken and asapargus no doubt bunged on a tray:)

Poochy is still out cold and thankfully no more upsets so hopefully he'll be back on form tomorrow :)
  • meg72
    Found a lonely tin of condensed mushroom soup in amongst some craft stuff I was sorting. Lol don't ask, before I got myself some units and made a proper pantry I had all sorts stashed away in odd spots.

It was dated BF 2013 but seems to be OK have made a lovely chicken casserole with a couple of thighs potatoes onion celery and some wrinkled mushrooms. Four portions stashed in freezer.
    Slimming World at target
  • caronc
    meg72 wrote: »
    Found a lonely tin of condensed mushroom soup in amongst some craft stuff I was sorting. Lol don't ask, before I got myself some units and made a proper pantry I had all sorts stashed away in odd spots.

It was dated BF 2013 but seems to be OK have made a lovely chicken casserole with a couple of thighs potatoes onion celery and some wrinkled mushrooms. Four portions stashed in freezer.

Sounds lovely - I can't actually think of the last time I checked a date on a tin of food as far as I'm concerned they should be fine for decades LOL :)
  • meg72
    caronc wrote: »
    Well lovely gardening chap visited and we have plan to economically make the allotment part of my garden more mobility friendly and hopefully he can start at the weekend weather permitting:) He's going to source tubs and boards from the local recycling centre that my various tub buckets can sit on so I don't need to bend a very practical, cheap and OS solution so I'm delighted:D Just need to get my proverbial in gear and work out what I want to grow and more importantly how much for a "one" household:)

I'm terrible for eating late in the evening a legacy of not getting home from work until after 7 and a habit of liking to get my chores done otherwise they fell in to the cba category before I ate means dinner for me tends to be 9ish - can't say it affects my sleep. I have tried eating earlier but just end up "munchy" around 9 so think I'll stick with it and the joy of CFO means I can please myself. :DStill haven't completely decided what to have tonight but it will involve chicken and asapargus no doubt bunged on a tray:)

Poochy is still out cold and thankfully no more upsets so hopefully he'll be back on form tomorrow :)

Glad youre getting your allotment sorted. I have never managed to get it right just for one and always sow plant to much, not worried this year though as have joined a local swap group for food and plants so I`ll just bung it all in and see what comes up. Already have the offer of apples in exchange for runner beans and a tin of cornbeef for some tomato plants.
    Slimming World at target
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    caronc wrote: »
    I'm terrible for eating late in the evening a legacy of not getting home from work until after 7 and a habit of liking to get my chores done otherwise they fell in to the cba category before I ate means dinner for me tends to be 9ish - can't say it affects my sleep. I have tried eating earlier but just end up "munchy" around 9 so think

I am absolutely the same caron. I much prefer eating later; because like you, if I eat early, I just end up feeling hungry again, get the munchies, and eat more than I should or need.

Ideally I eat between 9 and 10pm, sometimes later.

Food consumption/digestion makes me tired hence why I try not to eat much in the day, it just makes me lethargic.

Meg72 I love condensed mushroom soup..lucky you :D
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • caronc
    meg72 wrote: »
    Glad youre getting your allotment sorted. I have never managed to get it right just for one and always sow plant to much, not worried this year though as have joined a local swap group for food and plants so I`ll just bung it all in and see what comes up. Already have the offer of apples in exchange for runner beans and a tin of cornbeef for some tomato plants.

Thanks - it's not an allotment as such, my garden is divided in 2 parts one as a flowers and sitting part and one as a growing bit. Doubt I'll get the growing amounts right but family/friends/neighbours don't complain. :D

karcher - glad I'm not the only person that late eating is a better option:cool:

• katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I sleep better with a full tummy. Cannot sleep if I'm hungry, a carb heavy meal also makes me drowsy so helpful for getting off to sleep.

Caronc your garden sounds lovely, like my ideal garden. I'm jealous!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure