PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I still have half a jar of sweet/sour sauce. I was contemplating cooking it with rice.... but now I've gone off the idea and I think I'll just give in and freeze it :) That goes against my general principles, especially as it wasn't anything to write home about ....

I don't fancy cooking the other half of the packet of "chicken nuggets" that I have, just to use it up .... and I don't really fancy just eating the sauce and rice without any "main element" to that.

For lunch, instead, I think I'll just nuke some more of the spuds I have and chuck some cheese at that.

On the other hand .... if I do just eat it, it'll be gone....

So undecided. I think I'll just cook the s0ddin' stuff and never see it again.

That's the final decision. Sauce and rice.....
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    I don't eat out very often and we tend to go for brunch in Manchester when we get together as my elder two children both live in the city with their respective partners. It's usually about £5-7 a head depending on where we are and what you order obviously. I like it as I'll usually just have a snack tea that evening.

Lunch today has been a sausage sandwich as I didn't get to eat the sausages the other day as the trauma with the cat started just before teatime. Very tasty they were in a sandwich with caramelised onion chutney today anyway. Tea will be spag bol from my stash of homemade ready meals in the freezer.

I have been back to the vets again this morning for some more medication for the cat and am having a relaxed afternoon as I'm tired today. Need to get the ironing done really as I'm working all next week to cover for holidays.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 13 July 2017 at 3:11PM
    Options
    Afternoon all, back from Plymouth, couple of pounds up. That's what cooked breakfast and not CFO does

Not had chance to read all the posts, but I can see eating out and now have up to date experience. Never did get a cream tea, the one day I fancied one it was bucketing down and a cream tea indoors without sitting in the sun I may as well go and have one in my local Morrison's

Back to a bounty of runner beans, just looking up recipes for dinner, I think it will be runners with shallot butter, except it will be onions not shallots which I think are only onions in disguise at fancty prices. Also spotted runner ratatouille, which is variation on runners & tomatoes recipe under anther name

Not quite ready to get on a make runner chutney but it will need doing

Blackberries are now ripening, had a few for breakfast

Lunch was a part baked baguette with sausages in, note for for other lovers of quality high meat content sausages, Waitrose have Heck ones, 97% meat, on offer at £2, normally over £3 pack. I bought two packs this morning, long dated to 23rd and will freeze if not eaten by then

Dinner will be runners in some form or other, I also bought a crusty Tiger loaf in Asda, 75p offer, to go with whatever the runner meal turns out to be
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Food/prices are very much down to where you live. I am in what most people consider "a pricey area" full of rich retirees and a tourist coastal hot spot. Because people CAN charge more, they will and do. There's lots of "yachty types" and pandering to the champagne quaffers.

I have found some peculiar cheap eating places in the past in old churches... some churches have a little kitchen/cafe area (old trestle style and mismatched stuff style, not shiny/bright/modern) - where you're served either by somebody with learning disabilities or they're staffed by Church/WI stalwarts.

You can sometimes get a good "canteen style" dinner in there for about £6.

They are a rare find .... but they are out there somewhere, for some people.

Actually I've moved from somewhere thought of as wealthy to somewhere that's definitely a lot poorer.

....and the prices of cheap meals out are noticeably dearer here. Yep...I cant figure it out either....but am guessing it's down to the fact that there are a lot of students in Home City and there arent here. So I tend to put it down to the "student factor" personally.

I agree with you re church places. There are some back in Home City and...yep...they are amongst the cheaper places. Yep...as to the likely staff. One of them was certainly on my personal "list of places to use" - as I felt I got a good deal there.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I don't eat out very often, you generally need two people to do that.

From memory, the last time I ate out was probably October 2015. That was a pub meal.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Talking of sausages... when I was growing up we'd often have chipolatas - these are just thin sausages. They make the money go further as you still serve the same number, but you get more for the weight :)

I used to love chipolatas.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    It certainly feels easier eating out with at least one other companion I do know Pastures - and, of course, a more pleasant experience. Not to mention trying out two different "dishes" each time - the "If I have a bite of yours - then you can try a bite of mine" and then we've both sampled two different items on the menu.

But I'll eat out regardless if that's what I decide to do personally. I'm warier with "proper" restaurants than I am with pubs and cafes - but, if I want to, then I still will personally.

I don't see why singles should be deprived of the "eating out experience" - so, if I'm someplace else I will go as far as eating in restaurants even if it comes to it that I don't fancy the pubs/cafes. I just tell myself I'm doing my little bit for "equal treatment for singles".:rotfl:

Last time I ate out - probably around 2-4 weeks ago and thats not counting a communal meal within the last week.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Money......I'm definitely with you on the "equal treatment for singles" quest, especially for us women. Thankfully women eating alone are no longer either pitied or propositioned.

The "Sisterhood" needs to stick together. We need to be out there, eating, drinking and making merry, even if we have to dine "au solitaire".

As you know I am now a widow. I have no intention of finding a new husband and I am not going to become a recluse just because I haven't got a dining partner......:rotfl:

So......every so often, we need to get those glad rags on, and head out to a nice watering hole and take one for the team. ;)
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Well said Lesson & Money! My friend has just told me about a nice restaurant in Manchester that does a two course lunch plus a drink for £10 so am going to have a look at that and will book for myself. Or I may persuade one of the children or my parents to take me there for my birthday which is a week on Monday ;)Mum has been saying we'll go for lunch but couldn't decide where so it's perfect. Especially as the trams into town are free for my parents with their bus passes so Dad won't have to drive.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have been painting furniture today. I'm shattered and starving so I'm going to have an early dinner.

One of the joys of CFO - you can eat when you are hungry and dont have to wait for others.

Of course eating early means that I shall be hungry again around 9 pm. Never mind, I've got plenty of nice eats to chose from. :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure