Aldi - Mamia Formula

Options
Just become available in this area. Looked online and found mostly positive comments so we bought a tub to try.

However on using it today I'm really disappointed. The powder looks very lumpy in the tin and clumps together. It's clearly keeping pockets of air inside when you scoop it and level it off. That means that I've not been getting the correct amount of powder.

We use little powder dispenser pots as it saves the scoop getting all sticky when you add the powder to the hot water.

There's a very noticeable difference in the height of the powder in the pot compared to the formula we used previously. The milk produced looked much less thick than normal.

I've also found that when emptying the pot into the feed bottle, because the powder clumps together, you have to tap the pot, or shake it to make it come out fully. Meaning the powder goes all over the inside of the bottle, including around the rim. This then doesn't dissolve properly and no amount of shaking the bottle will encourage it to.

Not sure whether this was just an unlucky tin that got excess moisture inside. But since I can't measure it properly AND there's a high risk of ending up with undissolved lumps in the bottle - I'm not impressed at all.

Surprised as I'm used to Aldi products being as good as if not better than other alternatives. Was hoping to save £50 over the next 6 months by swapping to this from Cow & Gate.

Has anyone else tried it and found this?
Mortgage remaining: £42,260 of £77,000 (2.59% til 03/18 - 2.09% til 03/23)

Savings target June 18 - £22,281.99 / £25,000

Comments

• bright_side
    bright_side Posts: 1,799 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I may well get shot down for this, but I would always stick to the well known, been around for ever, brands when it comes to baby milk. How is little one taking to it? If you're not impressed, bin in and buy a branded formula.
    Some people see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty - the enlightened are simply grateful to have a glass :)
  • Pop_Up_Pirate
    Options
    Breast feeding is free :)

Why feed a baby cow food?
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Maybe because we don't live in a dictatorship and parents are free to make that choice?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options

Yes, breast feeding is free, but not always the most suitable method of feeding. Some people find it really difficult - mums as well as babies, and I wasn't able to breastfeed my son as he was in intensive care for seven days after he had life saving surgery at birth. Some mums just don't like breastfeeding, others want to share the feeding (and sleepless nights!) with their partner. It's not our place to judge.

OP, it generally isn't recommended that you swap between brands unless there is a problem. If the Aldi milk doesn't suit, go back to Cow and Gate. However, if it's just a case of little niggles in the preparation, but your baby is thriving and settled on the milk, you may want to put up with it mixing differently.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Ah knew this was going to turn into a breast feeding v bottle feeding thread.

Wonder if that was the aim of the OP?
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I may well get shot down for this, but I would always stick to the well known, been around for ever, brands when it comes to baby milk. How is little one taking to it? If you're not impressed, bin in and buy a branded formula.

Why though? The cheap brands have to follow the exact same regulations as the more expensive brands. The extra cost on the better known brands pays for more advertising, better looking labels and increased budgets for 'research into breastmilk' (and any decent research will be published, so presumably all manufacturers can benefit from it anyway, as is the case with Cow & Gate and Aptamil which are the same thing but one is more expensive). They all do the same job. You're probably unlikely to find Aldi trying to flog formula to parents who can't prepare it safely too.

When my oldest was a baby and in hospital, a well-meaning but sadly ill-informed consultant told us that Aptamil was the best formula so we dutifully bought that until she stopped needing baby milk. Looking back, I wince at how much money we wasted on something that was no better for her than cheaper brands. Thankfully that hospital is now "baby friendly" so they should have stopped saying such silly things!
  • shelley_crow
    shelley_crow Posts: 1,644 Forumite
    edited 27 March 2017 at 11:32AM
    Options
    Don't bin it, take it back. Aldi offer a no quibble refund within 28 days of purchase on all of their own brand products if you're not happy with them (it doesn't matter that you've opened it) :money:
  • A0503
    A0503 Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options

Why question the OP's method of feeding his own baby? Its not mentioned anywhere in the OP about if they should be breastfeeding or not. You don't know the OPs reasons for bottle feeding and nor should you as its none of your business what method of feeding they or anyone else chooses to do.
  • FreddieFrugal
    FreddieFrugal Posts: 1,750 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 March 2017 at 6:29PM
    Options
    Hello, thanks for replies.

Was just wondering if anyone else had had similar experience with this particular formula that's all.

There is no proven benefit or negative impact from changing formula brands. Some people find that a particular brand works better for their baby, but there's no reason not to switch - especially as ours is nearly 6 months old.

I will be taking back the tub since I wasn't satisfied with it - as per guarantee on the back. He'd only had one feed from it.

Although it isn't particularly anyone's business - our intention was to breastfeed - however small parts of retained placenta were messing with the normal release of hormones and this was preventing proper milk production. Baby had to go into hospital as he'd lost a dangerous amount of weight at the first weighing.

OH struggled on trying to keep up breastfeeding in the hopes that the milk would come in eventually, and it did, but only after several weeks and still not in a quantity necessary to stop needing formula. Since he was always breastfed first - thrn topped up with formula - you'd expect the amount of formula needed to have dropped as he started getting breast milk - but that never happened.

Saw breastfeeding consultants, tried pumping to increase production, supplementary feeder - everything.

Stopped trying at 3 months as he was clearly not getting any benefit and it was just exhausting trying to feed him twice at every feed + all the pumping etc. Besides he'd had enough of it himself and just didn't want to try anymore.

So breast milk isn't always free Pop Up Pirate

Some people don't have a choice. That 'cow food', as you call it, kept my baby alive and has helped him to thrive.
    Mortgage remaining: £42,260 of £77,000 (2.59% til 03/18 - 2.09% til 03/23)

Savings target June 18 - £22,281.99 / £25,000
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options

It may be free if you actually have milk! I gave birth 8 weeks ago had a massive haemorrhage and lost 6 pints of blood. Consequences are that I have never had milk come in which is common in that situation apparently as your body protects the vital organs to keep you alive rather than wasting resources on producing milk. I tried everything, and had medical staff trying everything to get my milk to come in, it never worked and I was getting more upset by the day.

So before you judge people, think about the wider picture. Fed is best.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure