Redundancy Notice not given - advice?

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice for my Girlfriend.

My girlfriend worked in her job from July 2011, she was placed on a consultation period on 4th October stating the company had lost the contract and would potentially making the whole department redundant. The consultantion period was due to end on 2nd November. At the time of being given these letters they were all told they would be redundant as no other jobs would be found. The last day of work was to be October 31st.

She went off sick on 25th October and was signed off by the doctor until 14th November, no one from the company has been in touch with her but her friend has advised that they were all told to go into the office and collect there notice of redundancy letters on 2nd November. My girlfriend was not invited to collect her letter, nor was she advised this was happening.

To date she has still not received a letter serving her her notice of redundancy. Technically she is off sick until 14th November. Where does she stand with regards to this? - as she hasn't been served notice of redundancy how will her redundancy notice pay work? she has no idea what she will be paid or what holidays she is owed ect.

She is due to be paid 1 month notice pay on 26th November as far as she is aware.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative
    shaun_2012 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice for my Girlfriend.

My girlfriend worked in her job from July 2011, she was placed on a consultation period on 4th October stating the company had lost the contract and would potentially making the whole department redundant. The consultantion period was due to end on 2nd November. At the time of being given these letters they were all told they would be redundant as no other jobs would be found. The last day of work was to be October 31st.

She went off sick on 25th October and was signed off by the doctor until 14th November, no one from the company has been in touch with her but her friend has advised that they were all told to go into the office and collect there notice of redundancy letters on 2nd November. My girlfriend was not invited to collect her letter, nor was she advised this was happening.

To date she has still not received a letter serving her her notice of redundancy. Technically she is off sick until 14th November. Where does she stand with regards to this? - as she hasn't been served notice of redundancy how will her redundancy notice pay work? she has no idea what she will be paid or what holidays she is owed ect.

She is due to be paid 1 month notice pay on 26th November as far as she is aware.

Thanks in advance

Hi Shaun - we'd urge your girlfriend to contact her local bureau as soon as possible and make an appointment to speak or meet with an adviser and go over the details. And it would be best to have all documentation to hand when she does this, including any letters and her contract of employment.

Also, we have a section about redundancy on our Adviceguide, which includes information on the responsibilities of employers and the processes they need to follow for redundancy situations.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure