When things hit rock bottom the only answer is to fight the way back up...

Options

Comments

• Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GC - I could not agree with you more. She really needs OH to step up and address his responsibilities and he's just not doing that and nothing will really change until he does. It's great that she's plucked up the courage to go for debt counseling but it's all dependant on him actually giving her the money. I really don't know what else to suggest if she wants to stay in the relationship..
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I agree with the others regarding your OH. Your mother should not be expecting you to pay for things she chooses to buy the kids!

Glad you're getting some advice re: the debts. One thing that stands out is the gas and electricity. Can you phone them and get the debt repayment reduced a bit? You are not meant to be left in hardship. Are you paying £17 to each a week? If you could halve that you'd still be paying the debt and would have a little left in your pocket.

Computers - advice here: https://www.choose.co.uk/guide/free-computer-schemes-on-benefits.html

I'm not sure if these are local to you? http://www.renewal-nw.com/computers-4-low-income/

Otherwise your local council or CAB will know of any operating in the area. Also look for furniture reuse groups - some of these do electricals, and you also might be able to get some of the furniture you need at a low cost too.

Hope the hospital went ok today.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • Eager_Elephant
    Eager_Elephant Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have been away this weekend and I just wanted to say that you have really taken the bull by the horns and started to get things sorted.

I think you are doing really well and I hope your talk with DH goes well.

Remember that you don't have to stay together just because you have children together - it sounds like a one sided marriage and he is just a lodger who stays (and doesn't always pay his rent).

Does your DH have depression? My DH has depression and when he is really low he spends - most of his £23k debt was spent on small bits that soon added up. His credit card statements were massive, each month there would be about 50 small transactions.
    DH is much better now but that is only because he has neuro issues and I look after his money but when he gets low now he spends - the difference this time is that it only happens once every few months rather than every day.

If he doesn't have depression I guess he just hasn't grown up yet and maybe isn't ready for the responsibility of family life.

Hope the hospital appointment went well today.
  • Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry I will reply to all your messages in a second.

Just got in from our appointment and need a coffee.

Appointment went okay :) no hospital stay, steroid trial extended till August which is bittersweet I guess. I'm a bit sad it means she'll be having the withdrawal effects just as she's due to start nursery :( only 1 hour a day not the 3 hours like other's her age but still a bit sad :( on the other hand it should mean we know she's likely to be 'okay' until August :p we should enjoy it ;)
  • Toni'sfriend
    Options
    That's very good news. One day at a time with the wee one, xxx
  • Hiddenidenity
    Options
    Well done on making an appointment at the debt advice service. Look out all your paperwork and take it with you and tell them everything. Tell them about any arrears on fines, etc, Some of it may be embarrassing but they won't be able to help you properly if they don't have all the facts. It's obvious from the figures that you just don't have enough money coming in to sort this out as it stands at present on your own. I would calmly show OH the figures and tell him you're consulting debt advice. If he doesn't like it - tough. Could be helpful if he came with you but I suspect that will not happen - you could always ask though.
    I agree that with the exception of friends and family and Virgin you don't have much leeway. Your aunt and stepdad seem happy to wait. Would your friend do the same? As for your mother - who knows? See what debt people say about Virgin.
    Please don't despair. With the appropriate help it can be solved but it's not going to happen overnight. Keep letting us know how you're doing.

Thank you for all you're help. It means so much to have someone 'listening' and helping I really do appreciate it x
    You're doing so well but I'm really worried that your OH doesn't appreciate firstly, how serious your family situation is and secondly, how much of it is his responsibility!

It's all very well coming up with budgets and repayment plans, but this is so dependent on your OH actually bringing home that much per week (so both having to work X amount of hours, no holidays or days off AND not buying tools or doing something else so that he's not bringing home his full wages).

If he has access to your bank account, surely he can see for himself that you aren't spending money on gambling?! Or does he just use the access to get money out rather than keep informed of your financial situation?

When you are having discussions with him I think you really need to lay your cards on the table. As a family, you can't afford some of these expenses ; those "double lunches" for OH (packed lunch plus him buying something); spending so much on smoking/vaping (or both in OH case) and your family definitely can't afford another fine or to be late with some of these payments.

It seems like you are doing all the heavy lifting with the budget and sorting out the repayments/ court appearances and I do understand that your OH needs to be working as much as possible so he might not be able to come along to these appointments, but that doesn't mean it's up to you to deal with it ALONE. He really needs to wake up and realise that he has just as much responsibility to pay them off and not make things worse.

I'm also a bit concerned about the "debt" to your mum. Does she understand that you can't keep repaying for expenses she's generated during childcare hours? I know it's lovely of her to look after your kids, but I think it's really unfair for her to decide to buy them something without consulting you and then ask you for the money? Have you been explicit with her and said something like "repaying this debt to you right now means I won't be able to pay our rent, and we could be evicted"? Or even told her not to buy the extras for your kids and that if she does then you won't be paying for them?

I think the idea about helping her with cleaning etc in exchange for some cash is a good one. My mum used to do that with her mum. Actually my family situation growing up was very similar to yours now, my dad was v much like your OH even down to my mum having to go to court for the tv licence (when she thought he'd paid it all). This is why I'm saying budgeting can't work unless your OH is on board with it and isn't continuing to spend as though he has no debts.

My mum is very touch and go. Sometimes she does things and is amazing others she keeps tally to the penny and expects it back. I've explained time and time again and even taken her along to some of the court hearing's etc just so she can see just how serious I am. I never know where I'm at with her but I'm use to that now. I'm definitely going to speak to her about the cleaning, even if she feeds us dinner the days I do things it's a help ;) and it means I'm not at home using my own electric and things too. Win win :p Ive never stuck to debt busting before I've made my concerns known then gone back to being quiet and struggling along. However I'm determined it has to change this time. No more being a mouse about it.

GC - I could not agree with you more. She really needs OH to step up and address his responsibilities and he's just not doing that and nothing will really change until he does. It's great that she's plucked up the courage to go for debt counseling but it's all dependant on him actually giving her the money. I really don't know what else to suggest if she wants to stay in the relationship..

Ive copied my above posts about the minimum outgoings before his spending and food etc onto pen and paper today and when he's home tonight he's not escaping me ;)
  • Hiddenidenity
    Options
    jwil wrote: »
    I agree with the others regarding your OH. Your mother should not be expecting you to pay for things she chooses to buy the kids!

Glad you're getting some advice re: the debts. One thing that stands out is the gas and electricity. Can you phone them and get the debt repayment reduced a bit? You are not meant to be left in hardship. Are you paying £17 to each a week? If you could halve that you'd still be paying the debt and would have a little left in your pocket.

Computers - advice here: https://www.choose.co.uk/guide/free-computer-schemes-on-benefits.html

I'm not sure if these are local to you? http://www.renewal-nw.com/computers-4-low-income/

Otherwise your local council or CAB will know of any operating in the area. Also look for furniture reuse groups - some of these do electricals, and you also might be able to get some of the furniture you need at a low cost too.

Hope the hospital went ok today.

Thank you for stopping by again :) I'm overwhelmed with how many replies I've received. I will have a check of those links tonight when I've cooked dinner thank you. Oh and I didn't even think to mention it at cab maybe I'll ask why I'm there thank you. As for the gas and electricity I'm not sure? It's with EDF maybe worth a phone call tomorrow to ask? We only use around £8 a week electric £5 gas the rest is the charges and debt :( if it wasn't for the debt I think we'd be pretty good at keeping the cost low.
    I have been away this weekend and I just wanted to say that you have really taken the bull by the horns and started to get things sorted.

I think you are doing really well and I hope your talk with DH goes well.

Remember that you don't have to stay together just because you have children together - it sounds like a one sided marriage and he is just a lodger who stays (and doesn't always pay his rent).

Does your DH have depression? My DH has depression and when he is really low he spends - most of his £23k debt was spent on small bits that soon added up. His credit card statements were massive, each month there would be about 50 small transactions.
    DH is much better now but that is only because he has neuro issues and I look after his money but when he gets low now he spends - the difference this time is that it only happens once every few months rather than every day.

If he doesn't have depression I guess he just hasn't grown up yet and maybe isn't ready for the responsibility of family life.

Hope the hospital appointment went well today.

I think sometimes we stay together because it's just what I'm use to and it's easier tbh. I'm also stubborn and know my mum will be like told you so if things go wrong. I am determined to try and make everything work. But you're all right it needs to be both of us determined not just one :( and that's out of control. He doesn't have depression. Doesn't worry about anything and generally so laid back he's horizontal. He doesn't really 'care' about much and is like a 17 year old ;)
    That's very good news. One day at a time with the wee one, xxx

I'm so proud of her. She's my hero :heart: wish I had half the strength and determination she has x definitely one day at a time to be enjoyed x thank you
  • Toni'sfriend
    Options
    Lots of advice there. See how the talk goes and take it from there. He has to be serious about making this work otherwise (and I hate to say this) you have to think if it's worth it. Would you be better on your own with the children (never mind what you think your mother might say. You could be pleasantly surprised!). If your mother is willing to help you out in exchange for a bit of housework or cooking I'd go for it. You do seem to be good at it just maybe that she thinks it would help you (not just financially. Might just build your self esteem a bit, if you see what I mean).
    Good luck with tonight and be firm. xx
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hello Hidden Identity

I have just caught up on your diary and wanted to say how amazing I think you are. You are clearly an amazing Mum, and have more on your plate than most. I really hope you can get through to your OH. He is lucky to have you.

Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Hiddenidenity
    Options
    Thank you so much for stopping by. I really didn't expect so many replies and it makes a huge difference to how I feel.

The snowball calculator says estimated Debt free date 13 months away using the figures in the above post. Let's do this!

Kids fed bathed and in bed on time ;)

OH fed and watered and waiting for him to arrive back from his friends so I can nag ;) TELL him exactly how it is.

I've finished the cleaning just waiting for the dryer (not mse but DD decided to spill juice all down the clean uniform hanging ready for morning along with the one she was taking off from today .. kids :p )

OH wage should be on his tax account tomorrow so I will be nosey and see what it is :p then I can see how much he's really spent out of it when the wage slips in on Thursday.

Need to go and pay the rent tomorrow, the fine and some more electric. Also post the parcels for eBay and I might go over to mum's to see what I can do there. Sisters on latest tomorrow so no visiting her. Was lovely to see her this morning though :) free yet makes me feel better.

Meal plan looks like
    Tuesday: Pulled pork & rice or jacket potato with salad
    Wednesday: Sausage casserole (DS has been asking ages!) Sausage and mash and veg separate for the ones who won't eat it together.
    Thursday: Spag bol, salad and wedges.

Lunches are sandwiches/crackers/soup

Breakfast is cereal or toast with something ;)

Snacks I'll make more tomorrow what ever we have the ingredients for. Probably fairy cakes/flapjack and some sort of biscuit.

Fridays shopping day and new meal plan will be done. Friday morning I'll check for the veg etc that needs using and make soup and ready meals for the freezer. Kids don't have fish fingers or similar but DD has asked for some will have to have a look if we have enough things to make some fish fingers and chicken strips. I refuse to buy them if not anyway. Free from things are a fortune :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure