Medical Trials... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Comments

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    No way! I'd rather make economies in other areas than put my life at risk especially after the infamous experiment in which several young men had their lives seriously damaged. Perhaps pharmaceutical companies should run these experiments on the prison population (unpaid of course) as part of their penance for their crimes. But I suppose this would be deemed against their human rights, and I guess that many of them would not be suitable candidates because of previous smoking, alcohol intake, drug habits, etc.
  • talana
    talana Posts: 1,077 Forumite
    Crazyangel,
    As long as you can be available at the times required for the trial, you can do it alongside your main job. No problem. The drug company are paying you, so for all intents and purposes it's a second job, not self employed.
    After you've taken part in one trial, normally you're not allowed to take part in another for at least 4 months. And so can take part in as many or as few as you like, it's entirely your decision.
    If you want more information, try reading up on the website of a typical drug company.
    http://www.healthyvolunteers.com/default.asp
  • talana
    talana Posts: 1,077 Forumite
    No way! I'd rather make economies in other areas than put my life at risk especially after the infamous experiment in which several young men had their lives seriously damaged. Perhaps pharmaceutical companies should run these experiments on the prison population (unpaid of course) as part of their penance for their crimes. But I suppose this would be deemed against their human rights, and I guess that many of them would not be suitable candidates because of previous smoking, alcohol intake, drug habits, etc.

Did you read the discussion on this thread before posting?
    It's entirely your personal decision of course, but drug trials are as safe as many things you do in everyday life. I'm not saying there's NO risk, but equally there's risk in all these everyday things that you'd do without a second thought.
    If everyone felt the same way as you, there would be no drug trials and medical research would grind to a halt. Is that a situation we want? Of course not.

As for running trials on prisoners, that's been discussed above too. It would never happen for practical, medical and scientific reasons. You wouldn't even need to widen the debate to human rights.
  • Tozer
    Tozer Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    talana wrote: »
    No, you're doing it for money. But that was exactly the point I was making.
    So you're saying it's fine to risk your life for pleasure but not for money? Frankly I don't see any distinction, equally valid.
    And what about if I did inject drugs for enjoyment? Would that be better?

Ok, but I have heard it said as a serious suggestion before. If you accept that would never happen, then we're stuck with healthy volunteer trials.
    If we need them and we can't avoid them (and that's the bottom line here), I don't know how you can really be against people taking part in them for a few quid.
    Should we not pay people? Again, it wouldn't work. People won't volunteer without some incentive.

Really disagree. Life is to precious to risk for money. Thats my view and it will never ever change.
  • friend of mine lost his toe though
  • *doesn't quite know what to say*
  • save-a-lot
    save-a-lot Posts: 2,809 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Tozer wrote: »
    Why add to the risks of life for money? By definition these drugs are untested meaning that nobody really knows what the effects will be.

My life is too precious to me to risk any aspect of it for a relatively small amount of money.

Would you sell a kidney for money as well on the basis that you have two?

The effects in Man are very, very well predicted, as prior to clinical trials drug substances have had extensive animal testing, usually in the rat or mouse. Pharmaceutical companies spend 100's millions in the development of drugs and by the time it goes into Man for the first time, you can be assured there is at least 6-8 years development that has already taken place to get to that point.

So, in my opinion, against the background of extensive testing, the risk comes right down for me. However, I am needle-shy, so you won't catch me doing a trial, but for those that do, I would envisage no onward effects. You only hear about things when something does go wrong and that is next to never.
  • uktyler
    uktyler Posts: 872 Forumite
    I did two of these trials, back in the late 90's in London. Both were within walking distance of my house, both were in comfortable hospitals well staffed with medical proffesionals.

In both of the tests I did the drgs were already on the market, in one they wanted to see how the drug affected the brain, I was given a sedative and given an MRI. In and out in 24 hours, at £125 a night.

The other was an american drug, no licenced for use in the UK, which involved six three day stays.

They give you information on the drugs you will be taking before the trials start, its up to you if you want to proceed.

I got over £2000 in six months, on top of my usual wages, by changing my shifts.

I would not hesititate to do another, as long as I knew abouth the drug before I started.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Good point. A lot of drug testing is in fact for already licenced drugs - anything that gets a licence in the UK has to be tested here first. Doesn't matter if it's a new paracetamol or anti cancer drug.
    Before a NEW drug gets tested on humans it goes through a lot of very controlled animal testing (agree or disagree with this as you wish) and they will have had to present a lot of research and evidence for why it is safe for humans. I've done work on site for pharmaceutical companies as an outside contractor and I've seen the amount of work that goes into taking a new drug to the last testing phase and it's not something willynilly.
    Would I volunteer? Maybe - it would depend on the drug and the trial I think.
    My father lives in Denmark and he had a very serious stomach ulcer some years ago. They offered him a drug that had not completed the human studies phase yet and he agreed to trial it - can't fault the care and monitoring they did of him during the test and he recovered fully from his ulcer. Infact he recovered more than 40% faster than with any other drug licenced in Denmark at the time for an equivalent condition.
    One thing I'd NEVER do however is take part in any test that MIGHT harm my chances of having healthy children... Might consider it more after having children when nothing I add to my body can be passed on to them.
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • jessicamb
    jessicamb Posts: 10,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    bump/.................
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income