PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Comments

• 2tonsils
    2tonsils Posts: 915 Forumite
    OOhhhh...this is a bit close to home for me, it looks like this is going to blow up as well..

Keep Talking Greece
    IMPORTANT: Turkey fired artillery at Syrian targets this evening after Syrian mortar attack kiiled a family of 5 in Turkey. Arabic media speak of 34-40 dead in Syria. The Syrian attack activated article 4 of NATO of which Turkey is a member. Art 4: Nato military wing is to convey for consultations - maybe tonight. Article 5 of NATO applies if members decide action must be taken. An attack on a NATO member is considered as an attack to all members. UN Security Council considers consultations too but waiting for Turkey first to ask the initiative.
    “The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC):A
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    The downloading of books is working fine:)thank you...
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    It's free at present:)

Urban Preppers with Kids, Pets & Parents; Disaster Survival for the Family

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Preppers-Parents-Disaster-Survival-ebook/dp/B00939RJN0/ref=zg_bstf_362832031_4

Not sure how long for...
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • SpikyHedgehog
    SpikyHedgehog Posts: 1,008
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 4 October 2012 at 6:24AM
    2tonsils wrote: »
    Now that kind of earth, bare of mankind..sounds like shangrila to me at the moment. The good news is we have not had the rolling electric cuts hit us yet, the bad news is my other half is still sick in bed and now I have a sore throat and stuffy nose as well...

All our politicians are falling out and resigning over a disclosure of 2000 tax evaders. It's a long story but the **** is hitting the fan and splattering over Europe as we speak as 20,000 tax evaders are named in other countries as well. Many more heads are going to roll and I can see a few people disappearing into the mists of time ...before they get arrested.

The EU inspectors are here and they have made impossible demands that simply cannot be met...10 billion in cuts in one year to pensions/services when only 9.5 million live here...it cannot add up. I think they are going to leave Greece to declare themselves bankrupt so the Germans can't be blamed. Not sure if that will work, suffice to say my BOB is ready.

Just in case I can't get out should things get really bad, I am pleased to say I have done survival training, have umpteen skills in everything from foraging to herbal medicine, can shoot great and have been trained in dirty street fighting tactics should the need arise! (It was part of my martial arts training).

Talking of dirty street fighting, a few months ago I was complaining about the rise in break ins and other problems here and I was told that a ''lookout'' group was being set up in the near future. Well folks, they are here...and it hasn't half gone quiet in our area...no more noises on my roof at 4am with people using it to get through the village unseen, no dodgy gypsies selling goods in the village unless they are known well, and no outsiders blocking my doorway with their cars tonight...... its silent again out there!

Have been watching the reports of earthquakes in Italy today and we have just had one tonight...first one for ages..here it is on the map
    http://www.geophysics.geol.uoa.gr/stations/maps/events/ev121003184520/index.html

This afternoon I heard a strange deep rumbling that lasted for ages and someone outside commented on it. Not only a strange sound but a deep vibration ran through the whole house and lasted for a couple of minutes. Earthquakes here usually last around 20-30 seconds. Odd. I can't help feeling we are in for a bigger one shortly. :eek:

Love to all, sorry I have not updated before but I have been busy running up and down stairs to look after my OH. If he has ''shared'' it with me he is going to have to look after me well....:D
    2tonsils wrote: »
    OOhhhh...this is a bit close to home for me, it looks like this is going to blow up as well..

Keep Talking Greece
    IMPORTANT: Turkey fired artillery at Syrian targets this evening after Syrian mortar attack kiiled a family of 5 in Turkey. Arabic media speak of 34-40 dead in Syria. The Syrian attack activated article 4 of NATO of which Turkey is a member. Art 4: Nato military wing is to convey for consultations - maybe tonight. Article 5 of NATO applies if members decide action must be taken. An attack on a NATO member is considered as an attack to all members. UN Security Council considers consultations too but waiting for Turkey first to ask the initiative.

2tonsils, stay safe. If you can, run! I want to go and airlift you and OH out like in a film...
    Popperwell wrote: »
    It's free at present:)

Urban Preppers with Kids, Pets & Parents; Disaster Survival for the Family

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Preppers-Parents-Disaster-Survival-ebook/dp/B00939RJN0/ref=zg_bstf_362832031_4

Not sure how long for...

Thank you, Pops! Still free at 7.23 - maybe from this, we can work out what time Amazon put their prices up?
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (24), DS2 (16), and the lurcher.
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    aw pooh I missed it lol never mind does look funny though love the cover!
    Glad to hear you got it sorted Pops enjoy!!

Speaking of wooly maggots...don't forget I'll have cows soon :D Nice bit of steak anyone???

Have a great day all will be on later after our meet XXX
  • 2tonsils
    Unfortunately I have caught the lurgy off my OH and now have a cough and stuffed up nose...but at least I don't have man flu!!! I feel okay except for the coughing...the stockpile of cough sweets and antihistamines and vitamins is coming in very handy!

Was awake till 3am with some Brits arguing in the bar just up the road (arguing with each other I may add..) one of the men shouted ''I will hit a woman and be proud of it!) .Unfortunately they live here as well. I think the villagers who were kept awake will have something to say to them once they are sober.

I laughed when you said about air lifting us out Spiky....it sounds like something out of a Bond movie lol.... We are fine, after all we are preppers. I don't want to leave just as its getting exciting!

When I asked the consulate here what their contingency plans were they reassured me that they had some but they were not willing to discuss it with anyone LOL. That was really helpful for making plans for if the SHTF!

Lovely day here again, shame I don't feel up to doing anything or going anywhere. The gym is out of the question and I can't be bothered to go shopping at the moment. Going to take it easy today. Watching the news for updates about Turkey/Syria, we are a bit close to the action for my liking.
    “The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC):A
  • PAH - Thanks for the info. haven't read The Long Earth but will find it in the library and read, love Terry Pratchett as an author, great respect for his dignity as a person.

2TONSILS - Don't take any risks in any of the situations that could arise from any of the problems mentioned in your post. Hope you don't come down with a bug and hope your OH is soon feeling better. Don't we live in interesting times? It might just be time to fasten your safety belt securely, just in case. Stay in touch if you can, stay safe, Cheers Lyn xxx.

P.S. Hope all of you who are having the meet up have a fun time and much enjoyment, Lyn x.
  • 2tonsils
    The strange thing is (and I am not sure if its a good thing or not) the tourists are still here till 25th October and they are completely oblivious to the things that are going on. Of course, they deserve a good holiday as they have paid a lot of hard earned money and waited for their break in the sun. But I do think its wiser to know what is going on around you.

Ones who have spoken to me have only been worried in case the euro crashes and they have already changed their money to it. It's a shame that they can't see how serious this is to the Greeks and their families and all the people who live here.

Still looking on the bright side of things and trying to remain optimistic that it will all turn out in the end. The problem is there are so many things all happening at the same time. I wonder if it will settle down in the winter and we will all return to the usual laid back life and card games by the roaring fire?

Or will mass panic set in as people start to realise we are getting nearer to December 12/21/22nd...whatever the date is? I am not worried, I am going to get our Christmas stocks in and I shall indulge myself in Orange flavour Bailey's and a good few bars of nice chocolate should things look dodgy on any of the above dates LOL
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    So ashamed of the ones who were drinking and fighting - what a red face they give us eh?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure