Smart meters - what is the catch?

Comments

• victor2 wrote: »
    Surprised you even hold a mobile for texting, given the radiation they clearly emit. :rotfl:

We live in a radio frequency world. Radio sources are everywhere. The Smart Meter is a relatively small addition to the radio frequency estate. The power output of a mobile phone may be in the order of 1 watt and not very directional. Having said that the mobile phone is used close the the human head where the field strength will be relatively high.

As the distance between the human body and the radio frequency source increases the field strength reduces drastically.

Even if the few watts from a small number of mobiles could pop popcorn or fry an egg, by the time you are a few meters away from a Smart Meter the power of radiation is inconsequential.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • walkon
    walkon Posts: 122 Forumite
    edited 15 August 2015 at 9:48PM
    Victor 2 you can laugh all you like but you, like many on here, are ignorant to whats really going on and will never see that. As I said, I hardly use a mobile or text.

Don't come complaining when many of you suffer ill health or end up getting some sort of cancer.

We may well live with lots of radio frequency but there is much more now than say, back in the 80's. They didn't have WiFi back then, or the mobile coverage we have now. We are living in an invisible toxic soup of wireless, and WiFi, EMF radiation and it will, is cause us ill health, will lead to problems in future. Smart meters are right in your home, face and will effect you more than say, a mobile mast miles down the road. Just the same as a WiFi router does. You are right on top of it where it is most powerful.

You can laugh now but in decades to come, you will see what damage it really is doing to us all. This effects me now and many others.

In regards to OP asking about savings. Smart meter will not save you anything in the long term. It will cost us all more and who do you think the energy cartel will pass it on to? Us, Joe public! The criminal energy cartel won't even pass lower energy costs on when prices go down, so no chance they will not, pass on the cost of smart meters.

You can save more by looking for deals on here or even pay DD if that's what you want. I would rather have my health and privacy over no or low savings of smart meters. I don't need to look at some stupid monitor every five minutes, to see how much my energy costs me or how much I am using. I only use what I need and it's low anyway. I am not a mind controlled robot who needs to do that.

See this about the sort of costs smart meters will not save you. http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-2749473/Energy-customers-face-215-bill-smart-meters-save-3-cent-bills-2030-says-watchdog.html
    Say No to smart meters!
    Search for, stopsmartmeters . org
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 August 2015 at 11:44PM
    walkon wrote: »
    Victor 2 you can laugh all you like but you, like many on here, are ignorant to whats really going on and will never see that. As I said, I hardly use a mobile or text.

Don't come complaining when many of you suffer ill health or end up getting some sort of cancer.

We may well live with lots of radio frequency but there is much more now than say, back in the 80's. They didn't have WiFi back then, or the mobile coverage we have now. We are living in an invisible toxic soup of wireless, and WiFi, EMF radiation and it will, is cause us ill health, will lead to problems in future. Smart meters are right in your home, face and will effect you more than say, a mobile mast miles down the road. Just the same as a WiFi router does. You are right on top of it where it is most powerful.

You can laugh now but in decades to come, you will see what damage it really is doing to us all. This effects me now and many others.

In regards to OP asking about savings. Smart meter will not save you anything in the long term. It will cost us all more and who do you think the energy cartel will pass it on to? Us, Joe public! The criminal energy cartel won't even pass lower energy costs on when prices go down, so no chance they will not, pass on the cost of smart meters.

You can save more by looking for deals on here or even pay DD if that's what you want. I would rather have my health and privacy over no or low savings of smart meters. I don't need to look at some stupid monitor every five minutes, to see how much my energy costs me or how much I am using. I only use what I need and it's low anyway. I am not a mind controlled robot who needs to do that.

See this about the sort of costs smart meters will not save you. http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-2749473/Energy-customers-face-215-bill-smart-meters-save-3-cent-bills-2030-says-watchdog.html
    Walkon, if you want to improve your health you need to look to your diet and exercise and get your weight down, not things of no consequence like wi fi. Dont take any notice of quacks with vested interests like Dr Elizabeth Evans using her website to get publicity. I m a type 2 diabetic for the last 5 years and I confirm that the overall diet in the UK with added sugar/fat levels to so many processed foods is the biggest cause of ill health.
    Whats really going on is that supermarkets offer so many processed foods adulterated with cheap sugars and fats which really make a big difference to how many calories we consume. Any real doctor would confirm that its ruining the health of so many in the UK making us the worst in Europe for obesity
  • walkon
    walkon Posts: 122 Forumite
    I don't want to go to off topic as what you are taking about is another issue but I am fine and my weight is fine thank you. I don't eat lots of junk food, so does not affect my health. Plenty of fruit and veg. :wink:

You don't think I posted about wireless routers affecting my health, for the fun of it do you? As it does or did affect my health when I had one in my home. I felt sick and was getting headaches. This was because of the wireless router and nothing else. Smart meters as explained above will do the same thing but you can't turn a smart meter off.

I stand by everything I said and is correct.
    Say No to smart meters!
    Search for, stopsmartmeters . org
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,575 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    walkon wrote: »
    You don't think I posted about wireless routers affecting my health, for the fun of it do you? As it does or did affect my health when I had one in my home. I felt sick and was getting headaches. This was because of the wireless router and nothing else. Smart meters as explained above will do the same thing but you can't turn a smart meter off.

Just your opinion, or do you have medical evidence to back that up? I have owned and used a mobile phone since the 1990's. No unexplained headaches, sickness or cancer showing yet...

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• [Deleted User]
    edited 16 August 2015 at 6:36PM
    victor2 wrote: »
    Just your opinion, or do you have medical evidence to back that up? I have owned and used a mobile phone since the 1990's. No unexplained headaches, sickness or cancer showing yet...
    I ve just listened to a radio podcast by Doc Liz Evans of Stopsmartmeters.org who says she feels "absolutely horrible " just picking up a cordless phone, or mobile or going near a wifi router. She also says its sets her heart racing and starts off her "electrosensitivity .
    She has retrained now in the techniques to banish this by use of "NAET " ( Nahbudripad Allergy Elimination Technique)..I ve signed up with her to get some info...I wonder how much it will cost me, because sitting by my laptop is really making me feel ill.
    Would be interesting if the Doc would come on here and give her explanation of the physics of how EMF effects humans..under Stopsmartmeters.org of course
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edwink wrote: »
    We had our Smart Meter installed in March this year. The engineer that installed it spends all day everyday fitting them and said he had been extremely busy.

The little gadget that came with it is extremely useful too. Our electric bill is less per month now due to this little gadget and us being more aware of what we are using!!

No complaints from us.

What little gadget is that and how does it save you money on your bill ?
  • What little gadget is that and how does it save you money on your bill ?
    Its the in house display showing energy usage in hard cash per hour/day/week/month. Its supposed to get you to get off your backside and go and switch off all those unused lights off, phone chargers, computers etc. Then you can have the satisfaction of seeing the price per hour go down before your very eyes.
    In truth the suppliers are the big winners when they can now bill you accurately and cheaply with very little costs. Thats the big draw for smart meters with the side line of being able to stop the energy thieves in their tracks by either shutting supply off or switching from credit to prepay modes.By energy thieves , I don t just mean those idiots with the screwdriver and bits of electric wire bypassing but the legions of renters flitting from property to property on credit meters deliberately thieving energy. That is much bigger than bypassing gas and electric meters..
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    sacsquacco wrote: »
    Its the in house display showing energy usage in hard cash per hour/day/week/month. Its supposed to get you to get off your backside and go and switch off all those unused lights off, phone chargers, computers etc. Then you can have the satisfaction of seeing the price per hour go down before your very eyes.
    In truth the suppliers are the big winners when they can now bill you accurately and cheaply with very little costs. Thats the big draw for smart meters with the side line of being able to stop the energy thieves in their tracks by either shutting supply off or switching from credit to prepay modes.By energy thieves , I don t just mean those idiots with the screwdriver and bits of electric wire bypassing but the legions of renters flitting from property to property on credit meters deliberately thieving energy. That is much bigger than bypassing gas and electric meters..

You answered that for him.

So the 'little gadget' is a LCD display which is running 'potentially' at the expense of the property owner, that I asked a specific question about earlier that went unanswered.... riiiight. Ok.

Perhaps, you can answer my earlier questions :
    ...and if it doesn't, what does the consumer pay to have the smart meter minus the use of a LCD display screen ?

Furthermore, how much energy would be consumed every year if hypothetically every premises was to have one ?

Another question, why is a smart meter any harder to bypass than non-smart meter ?

Can you please post links/ statistics backing up your claims.

Thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 20 August 2015 at 9:51AM
    The "little gadget ", the IHD , is definitely running at the expense of the occupier. I was quoted , by my meter fitter, a cost of 60p a year .Smart electric meter has a sensor guarding the lower cover, which has access to the cables entering the meter, and will send an error code to the server if its breached.Its the normal bypassing method used by the vast majority of energy thieves. Of course there are other ways, but thats the easy way. It must work because in the 8 years I ve seen electric smart meters around I have nt found one bypassed.I ve been sent out many times to visit properties, domestic and business, to check a "non communicating smart meter " to know that these sensors do work. These checks are probably faulty sims or wi fi failing to connect.
    I have smart meters, and I ve not noticed any extra payments at all on my bills.As far as I know they are free, and so they should be as the suppliers benefit the most.
    No, I m not posting any links backing up any "claims " about smart meters being harder to bypass. The manufactures state this. the gas meters have the same sensors. The ability for suppliers to switch the non payers and huge debtors directly to prepay mode from free credit is much needed. I can t imagine anyone but energy thieves who would nt welcome this. No one likes a thief. Energy theft is rife now and getting worse.
    Last week I read about some MPs moaning about TV licence thieves getting a criminal record for the theft of £145 a year citing the energy industries record of none prosecutions and saying they should follow their more enlightened attitude. When someone steals up to 2k a year, wrecks the meters costing £300 quid and gets off scott free, time and time again its not something which should applauded, in my view.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure