On Burying Treasure

FatherAbraham
FatherAbraham Posts: 1,024 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 15 July 2017 at 10:32PM in Savings & investments
I want to stash some cash, about a month's net salary, in a safe place, so that, if I become a fugitive, I can retrieve the assets.

Clearly, I need to hide the money away from my residence/land, so presumably on land which I don't own.

Has anyone got any useful advice on maximizing the security and availability of hidden physical-asset stashes? Burying treasure seems to be a lost art these days.

Warmest regards,
FA
Thus the old Gentleman ended his Harangue. The People heard it, and approved the Doctrine, and immediately practised the Contrary, just as if it had been a common Sermon; for the Vendue opened ...
THE WAY TO WEALTH, Benjamin Franklin, 1758 AD

Comments

• veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Drop me a PM and I'll let you know my post code and house number.

I'll even lend you a spade.
  • DiggerUK
    DiggerUK Posts: 4,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I suggest a dark place, easily found by bending as far forward as you can..._
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Burying treasure seems to be a lost art these days.

How can you tell? Treasure buriers are hardly likely to tell anyone - the whole point of the exercise is to keep it secret. Rather than a 'lost art' it may be very common and happening all over the place - but no-one will ever know (how common it is)....
  • FatherAbraham
    The
    Zanderman wrote: »
    How can you tell? Treasure buriers are hardly likely to tell anyone - the whole point of the exercise is to keep it secret. Rather than a 'lost art' it may be very common and happening all over the place - but no-one will ever know (how common it is)....

How do I know? Because the topic is little discussed.

Just as an effective encryption algorithm must be openly reviewed and criticised, with the strength of protection depending solely on the secrecy of the key (Kerckhoff's Principle), so an effective physical-asset concealment technique will be better for public discussion, with only the specific details of a particular concealment needing to be secret.

Warmest regards,
    FA
    Thus the old Gentleman ended his Harangue. The People heard it, and approved the Doctrine, and immediately practised the Contrary, just as if it had been a common Sermon; for the Vendue opened ...
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 16 July 2017 at 8:29AM
    Watch the first Jason Bourne film but try to avoid almost getting killed many times. Oh sorry, yes, you need to join the CIA (Covert Investments Anonymous) as well.
  • FatherAbraham
    So there's a (Usonian) blog dedicated to underground asset caching, which covers some aspects: https://howtoburyyourvaluables.wordpress.com

What's possibly missing from that is a thorough discussion of location diversification, and site-selection criteria.

Useful stuff on packaging the cache, though.

Retrieval is also an issue - it's not easy to show up in the middle of a municipal park, or even a cemetery, and start digging without drawing attention.

Warmest regards,
    FA
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Boating friend of mine stashes his in the river bank!
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Can the term "burying" be used metaphorically?
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I am mainly curious about what deed might cause you to become a fugitive, and when you are planning this?

And why only a month's pay, why not a year's, to give you time to get settled into your (presumed) new identity?

But moorland would be good. Just think how long they were trying unsuccessfully to find the location of Brady's last victim and were never successful; yet they seemed to suspect that he could have gone straight to it.

Edit: Is it possible to shield it in some way from metal detectors, or bury it too deep or something?
  • FatherAbraham
    Biggles wrote: »
    why only a month's pay, why not a year's, to give you time to get settled into your (presumed) new identity?

Because only the initial period's assets need to be cached in liquid form, so that they can be used immediately.

Physical caches are risky and expensive to operate, so further assets for such an emergency should be cached/hidden in less-available storage.

Warmest regards,
    FA
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport