PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

HELP PLEASE Boundary Fence Issue

I wonder if anyone can help.
In 2010 I bought a house. There has always been a 15/17 inch gap between the fence on my property and a neighbours wall. This 15/17 inch is always overgrown so having discussed with the neighbour I decided to clear it.
After this I decided to find out if this was in fact my land.
I got in touch with the company that built the house and surrounding fences and after investigation it became clear that they had built a fence next to the wall but the previous occupiers of my house (1 occupier since built in 2001) had moved the fence from the wall to form this 15/17 gap. I have no idea why!
So next I got in touch with the company that did the homebuyer report when I bought the house. They emailed back saying this was not their responsibility to check.
So next I got in touch with the solicitors who I used to buy the house. They emailed back saying this was not their responsibility to check.
My last port of call was my mortgage company. Having spoken to them they said it was not their responsibility to check.
My question is
Whose responsibility was it to point this out when I bought the house? i.e the boundary fence was not in the correct position.
I now have a significant cost to incur in order to move the fence back to its original position next to the wall.
Thanks

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Point what out?

There's no such thing as a boundary fence - legally.

It's just a fence.

You may not even have the right to move the fence back. There is absolutely no reason to believe you still own that land.
  • The land IS my land according to the land registry report and the detailed report from the solicitors of the house builders.

In answer to your other question, to POINT OUT that the fence was not in the correct position and thus created a 15/17 inch gap of lost land that belonged to me.
  • Guest101
    The land IS my land according to the land registry report and the detailed report from the solicitors of the house builders. - The land WAS the land associated with the property back in 2001. However in 16 years a lot can happen. You didn't necessarily buy that land. No different for example the kitchen that was there in 2001.

In answer to your other question, to POINT OUT that the fence was not in the correct position and thus created a 15/17 inch gap of lost land that belonged to me.

As far as I can tell you need to prove the land wasn't sold on or handed over, or otherwise claimed (adverse possession) in the last 16 years
  • It was not sold on or otherwise claimed. This can be clarified.
  • Guest101
    It was not sold on or otherwise claimed. This can be clarified.

How?

In anycase, a fence can be put anywhere, not just on a boundary. You bought it as seen, I don't see how you have any claim against anyone. If you want to re-take possession of the land - assuming you are the rightful owner - the cost is yours to pay
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Just take the fence down, regard the wall as the boundary and get on with your life. What else am I missing?
  • Guest101
    ProDave wrote: »
    Just take the fence down, regard the wall as the boundary and get on with your life. What else am I missing?

Compo, but there really isn't any due
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Boundary issues are notoriously difficult unless resolved amicably.
    I got in touch with the company that built the house and surrounding fences and after investigation it became clear that they had built a fence next to the wall
    OK, but did they also confirm that the fence they built was on the boundary? It is a reasonable asumption, but not proof.

but the previous occupiers of my house (1 occupier since built in 2001) had moved the fence from the wall to form this 15/17 gap.
    Who told you this? Were the 'previous occupiers' the owners at the time? Were they your vendors? How did they inform you? Orally? In writing?
    Or was it the neighbours? Or someoneelse? Again- orally or in writing.
    So next I got in touch with the company that did the homebuyer report when I bought the house. They emailed back saying this was not their responsibility to check. Correct. They check the structure/construction, nit legal matters like boundaries.
    So next I got in touch with the solicitors who I used to buy the house. They emailed back saying this was not their responsibility to check.
    How could they check? They (presumably) never visited the property so could not know if the fence was or was not on the boundary. They would simply look at the Plan and see there was a boundary between your land and the neighbour.
    Did you specifically ask them where the exact boundary was?

My last port of call was my mortgage company. Having spoken to them they said it was not their responsibility to check.
    Correct. All they'd care about was whether
    a) you were going to be the genuine owner after Completion (ie the seller was entitled legally to sell to you)
    b) the property was adequate security (in value etc) for their loan to you - this 17 inch plot would not sufficiently decrease the value to concern them either way

My question is
    Whose responsibility was it to point this out when I bought the house? i.e the boundary fence was not in the correct position.
    The only people who might/would have known were the vendors and the neighbours.
    Neither had 'responibility', but might have told you if you'd asked.
    When you spoke the neighbours before buying, what did you ask and what did they reply?

I now have a significant cost to incur in order to move the fence back to its original position next to the wall.
    The cost to move a fence is not that much in the scale of things, but why move it at all? Why not just remove it? Do you Deeds specify anywhere that there must be a fence? And even if they do, who would know?

Thanks
    You also looked at "the land registry report". LR Plans are really not sufficiently large scale to place a boundary with accuracy.
  • Penitent wrote: »
    It sounds like your neighbour had a wall on the boundary, then the previous owner of your house decided they wanted a fence, but they had to put it a foot or so into their own land so they could concrete the posts in properly and not disturb the wall. If this is the case, I agree with ProDave. Take down the fence if you want to include that bit of land in your garden.

We had a commercial neighbour with a mesh fence. Got fed up of looking at them, so we put a fence about a foot into our land to make sure we missed the concrete footings on their fence. We still own the land between our fences, but the world won't end if we lost it. The gain in privacy was worth the (tiny) loss of space.

That's exactly the view I would take of things.

I would just get on and make arrangements to remove my fence and have that part of my garden in between the fence and wall accessible to me again. End of.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure