PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Comments

• Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Breakfast today was Greek yoghurt with some berries and a banana (I have got a few to use up) I think tomorrow I will make the banana pancakes that someone posted on here for me last week. I enjoyed them when I made them, but wanted something that I didn't have to do anything with this morning.

Lunch is a cheese sandwich with some lettuce.

Dinner is a grilled chicken breast, with some new potatoes, mushrooms, grilled tomatoes (they need to be used up) and peas.

There are some scones in the freezer so I will get one of them out to defrost for pudding.

I am running low on crumpets. I think I will stick to buying them from M&S though because they are the only ones I can find that are made using half wholemeal flour and have grains in them, and they seem to taste really nice to me. I will have to call in there later in the week.

So far my meal planning this week is working out. If it carries on this way, I may manage to get through the week without having had too much repetition in my diet, other than the same veg during the week.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    .... got on very well .... hardly notice....how light it is ... 'just in case' :)
    The just in case stuff will one day fill it :)
    .... eye opener to me .... money I have wasted on food.....I didn't buy too much .... some staples that I needed and a few things to try... eggs and rhubarb ..50p cheaper

I was genuinely surprised at how cheap a lot of their stuff was.

....It will soon have paid for itself and be saving me money
    It's good you're really giving it a good going out ... even if shops don't have what you want/like, it's a good feeling to have some form of choice and not feel you're missing out too much by not having everything on your doorstep.

Over the coming year or so you'll try/buy new things to enjoy :)
    CFO means you can never buy everything - you can't eat everything - so you really have to pace yourself.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,116
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    The best purchase I think I have made for many years is the trolley. It will soon have paid for itself and be saving me money :D

I think the same, once you have one you wonder how you ever did without one.

Wish there was an Aldi near here, bit of a first world whinging problem really, there is Morrison's, Sainsbob's, Asda, M & S, Lild, Waitrose, £land, little T8sco and Costcutter, but still moan about lack of Aldi. Ungrateful bu66er

Nice sunny day again, no breakfast again

The Asda was wite good for YS today, found some "dateheart" bars, never heard of them either, I did Google them, oops bit problematic results :o. Seems no one eats them because they were down to 10p, grabbed 5, time will tell

Also got some YS "will never ripen, but hope to ripen at home" nectarines, now in fruit bowl snuggling up to the YS bananas for a spot of ethylene breathing

Waitrose have banger offer on for those interested, only some, the high 90% meat ones. £2.19, got a pack of them and they tick my free range box as well as the MSE one. Long dated so put by for later in the week

Lunch was the routine cheese / salad sarnie

Dinner will be the LO Hunter's chicken, cold, with Actifry frozen chips, then I may pop the last of the M & S £10 offer item, apple pie, in oven to finish off, should do for at least a couple of days unless I get greedy

The bees have found the grapefruit flowers, hooray,, but still carrying on with my paint brush. Never knew before but now the whole area has a faint lemony smell form the blossom, nice, better than a pongy drain anyway ;)

And my continuous bean planting some weeks back is paying off, flowers and even some small beans are showing.
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    Forumite
    edited 14 June 2017 at 2:15PM
    Farway wrote: »
    .... there is Morrison's, Sainsbob's, Asda, M & S, Lild, Waitrose, £land, little T8sco and Costcutter, but still moan about lack of Aldi. Ungrateful bu66er...

If I had to choose between 4ldi or 4sda I'd choose 4sda. They do have cheap food/ranges, if you look for them - but they also have shelves and shelves of great looking food too ... and, for you at least, a good set of YS.

4sda is my furthest supermarket, I really wanted to live near one but that didn't work out. They announced build plans just as I was moving into this house, then they pulled out... that one'd have been 2 miles from me.

Morries have their moments too....

Truth is, I don't actually buy many items at L1dl or 4ldi ... I just eat the basic things in the main, so I bet I could get everything I buy at 4sda for good prices too. e.g. cheapest bread, tinned tomatoes, frozen chips, frozen peas, eggs, cheap cheddar, cheese triangles, the odd family sized beef mince/onion pie, ready made sausage rolls.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,116
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Found them, after a few blushes on Google, hope GCHQ was not snooping at the time or the rozzers will be round to check on the pampas grass situation

Simply Divine date fruit hearts

Seems Asda having a clear out, no longer stocked
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,059
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Good afternoon everyone,

Farway -Glad your beans are setting:), I have loads of flowers but no beans yet. In a couple of days I'll need to start tickling courgette flowers as the ones I thought were cucumbers are doing fab. The outside ones are doing ok but not at that point yet.

I've taken 2 small beef olives out for tonight so I'll cook them with onions and mushrooms and will have them with steamed carrots and broad beans.:)

I discovered something had spilled down the back of my fridge - balsamic glaze I think. Horrible sticky well hardened mess. I've got the bottom half sorted but the rest will wait until tomorrow.;)
  • PasturesNew
    Forumite
    Tea was: 2 fish fingers, chips, peas - all from the freezer.

Freezer now just has 2 bean burgers, 4 fish fingers, some peas, 3 small Yorkshires .... nearly there!

Talking, as we were earlier, about 4ldi products. I won't ever bother again with their quarterpounder spicy bean burgers. They're not really spicy, they're too wide/flat (rather than being less wide/plump) and they're nothing at all to write home about.
  • caronc
    Forumite
    edited 14 June 2017 at 7:10PM
    Tea was: 2 fish fingers, chips, peas - all from the freezer.

Freezer now just has 2 bean burgers, 4 fish fingers, some peas, 3 small Yorkshires .... nearly there!

Talking, as we were earlier, about 4ldi products. I won't ever bother again with their quarterpounder spicy bean burgers. They're not really spicy, they're too wide/flat (rather than being less wide/plump) and they're nothing at all to write home about.
    That's a shame have you ever made your own. I used make these for the kids using tinned baked beans. If you want "spicy" add some fresh or powdered chilli.
    Recipe:-
    400g tin baked beans - drain the sauce and keep to one side
    1 slice of bread made into crumbs
    1 small onion finely chopped and softened in a little oil
    1 large garlic clove crushed or 1/2 tsp garlic granules
    1/2 tsp paprika (optional)
    1 small carrot grated and softened with the onions
    1 heaped tsp mixed herbs
    1/2tsp ground pepper
    50-60g grated cheese
    Around 1tbsp flour

Mash the beans until around 1/2 are quite smooth and the rest fairly chunky. Add rest of ingredients bar the flour and the bean sauce. Add bean sauce until you have a mix that isn't too dry but you can shape. Dust your hands or a plate with flour and shape into burgers. Bake or fry until golden - if baking coat with a little oil.:)
  • PasturesNew
    Forumite
    caronc wrote: »
    That's a shame have you ever made your own. I used make these for the kids using tinned baked beans. If you want "spicy" add some fresh or powdered chilli.
    Recipe:-
    400g tin baked beans - drain the sauce and keep to one side
    1 slice of bread made into crumbs
    1 small onion finely chopped and softened in a little oil
    1 large garlic clove crushed or 1/2 tsp garlic granules
    1/2 tsp paprika (optional)
    1 small carrot grated and softened with the onions
    1 heaped tsp mixed herbs
    1/2tsp ground pepper
    50-60g grated cheese
    Around 1tbsp flour

Mash the beans until around 1/2 are quite smooth and the rest fairly chunky. Add rest of ingredients bar the flour and the bean sauce. Add bean sauce until you have a mix that isn't too dry but you can shape. Dust your hands or a plate with flour and shape into burgers. Bake or fry until golden - if baking coat with a little oil.:)
    I could easily make my own if I were that into them/that bothered. I can randomly pick up a pack once every 3-4 years in a shop .... or I can ensure I've got a raft of ingredients, in order to make far more than I could ever eat in one lifetime, plus all the washing up :)

It's not that I couldn't make my own - they're easy (if you have all that stuff to hand). The question is one of volume ... that CFO/CBA stuff.

I bought this pack of four and hadn't even had a bean burger for at least 10 years.
  • caronc
    Forumite
    I could easily make my own if I were that into them/that bothered. I can randomly pick up a pack once every 3-4 years in a shop .... or I can ensure I've got a raft of ingredients, in order to make far more than I could ever eat in one lifetime, plus all the washing up :)

It's not that I couldn't make my own - they're easy (if you have all that stuff to hand). The question is one of volume ... that CFO/CBA stuff.

I bought this pack of four and hadn't even had a bean burger for at least 10 years.
    Fair enough they are tasty and cheap to make though and dare I say it they do freeze well ;):rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure