Which IDE DVDRW Should I Get For My PC Please?

Hi,

I just need a new IDE DVDRW for my home PC.

I don't want anything fancy, just decent features, that is reliable and of good quality.

I'm thinking of buying one from the following 2:

Pioneer DVR-A18LBK 22x (available for £25.40)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294

LiteOn 22X (£22)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISA...:X:RTQ:GB:1123

(I am happy to buy from Ebay as I am careful and thorough before purchasing, and buy stuff regularly)

Price wise, they are pretty similar, and I really don't want to spend much more than that, as I don't tend to use this device much anyway, but my current DVDRW needs replacing due to a fault.

*I know I can find review of the above on the net, esp the Pioneer from Amazon already has customer reviews, but I would feel more reassured hearing the views of more informed and "live" people on here and always find the advice beneficial.

Thank you! smile.gif

Comments

• -TangleFoot-
    -TangleFoot- Posts: 4,673
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've got a Pioneer DVR-108 that still works perfectly. Granted, it doesn't get much use now it's in an enclosure but it has to be the one of the most reliable drives I've ever purchased. My last LiteOn stopped writing disks properly quite some time ago... though that might have been due to my making enthusiastic use of its LightScribe capability.
  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,807
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'd go for the Pioneer as well.

The last LiteOn drive I had failed quite quickly.
  • Freebyman
    Freebyman Posts: 591 Forumite
    Old Faithful we roam the range together,
    Old Faithful in any kind of weather,
    When the round up days are over,
    And the Boulevard’s white with clover,
    For you old faithful pal of mine.
  • -TangleFoot-
    -TangleFoot- Posts: 4,673
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Freebyman wrote: »
    What about this from Amazon, its a Sony and has good reviews for £13.05?

It's SATA - which might be a problem.
  • Freebyman
    Freebyman Posts: 591 Forumite
    Whoops, didnt see that :o
    Old Faithful we roam the range together,
    Old Faithful in any kind of weather,
    When the round up days are over,
    And the Boulevard’s white with clover,
    For you old faithful pal of mine.
  • Darren_G
    Darren_G Posts: 156
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you are not buying 'new' then stick to pioneer or NEC.

But, you could always pick up one of the SATA ones and buy an adapter like this one for a couple of quid, then you also get the warranty on the drive in case of any problems.
  • vinylmusic
    vinylmusic Posts: 1,200
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You can get one for next to nothing second hand these days.
    I have a few of them which I may put on ebay for a fiver each.
    I'm sure there are a lot on ebay for similar prices. I've never had one die on me as they tend to outlive the computers they came with.

I believe in recycling which is why I've saved them
    IWasLookingBackToSeeIfSheWasLookinBackToSeeIfIWasLookinBackAtHer.....
  • spannerzone
    spannerzone Posts: 1,549
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 2 May 2012 at 7:23PM
    For the cheap price I don't think it makes much sense in buying second hand..... DVDrw drives are cheap and disposable these days and most will do the job... they generally either work or fail. The days of unpredictable recordings is almost a thing of the past.

Maybe I've been unlucky but have had a few fail on me, maybe it's lack of use as I certainly don't record many discs or play that many.... and it's not dust build up either as cleaning never cures them.

A Pioneer for £20 is a bargain when you think they used to costs hundreds of £'s :D

Never trust information given by strangers on internet forums
  • Associate
    Associate Posts: 186 Forumite
    Thank you everyone for your helpful suggestions!

In the end, I didn’t order one as I think I’ve fixed the problem!

The problem with my HP DVD1035 DVDRW was that the tray wouldn’t eject, a friend of mine who works with computers said that it’s likely developed a fault and hence would need to be replaced.

I actually don’t really use the drive much, but obviously a DVDRW is handy to have.

Anyway, before I was about to order – having taken the advice of you kind people on board – I came across this video on Youtube by chance (don’t know if I am allowed to upload videos, hence I’m just posting the link):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl1jB9MJXsE

I found it quite interesting, for future reference, if anything.

Anyway, having been made aware that the belt in the DVDRW can “dry” over time and needed replacing, and is often the cause for trays not ejecting, rather than removing the whole drive from my PC (which I didn’t know how to do, anyway!), I applied WD-40 spray on the existing belt to lubricate it. I may have made it too wet, which initially caused it to jam even more tightly. But the following day after having time to dry overnight, the DVDRW tray opened immediately upon pressing the eject button! This is still the case.

Obviously what I tried was purely by chance and not based on informed knowledge, and I don’t know if such an action would normally be recommended, but as I thought I’ve got nothing to lose and it may need replacing anyway, I just gave this a go.

I just thought I’d share this with you....and hopefully I won’t require a new DVDRW any time soon!

Regardless, I found the video informative and I’m sure others may find it beneficial too.

Thanks again smile.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport