Quooker

Comments

• Avoriaz
    Avoriaz Posts: 39,110 Forumite
    edited 9 January 2013 at 12:30PM
    ryder72 wrote: »
    ... The tank requires a service which quooker recommend every 5 years. They will do this for about £125 but its a 15 min DIY job with a couple of screwdrivers, and an adjustable spanner and a gasket kit they sell of about a tenner. It involves opening the tank, wiping the scale away and installing new gaskets. After 4 years of constant use at home, I removed about a small bowl full of scale and its good as new. So its not a big problem and unlike kettles, these tanks dont fail after 2-3 years of use.
    Not only do kettles usually last far longer than 2 to 3 years, they don't cost hundreds of pounds and don't need a £125 service.

Our £15 3kw quick boil kettle is over 4 years old and still as good as new. I "service" it every few months with a few pence worth of citric acid or other descaler.

Quookers may have some perceived advantages, although I don't see them, but they are incredibly expensive compared to a kettle.
  • loracan1
    loracan1 Posts: 2,287
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ryder72 wrote: »

I am not going to answer questions about the energy consumption as everything thats been asked is available on their website to read.

Why not, is it particularly high?
  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    loracan1 wrote: »
    Why not, is it particularly high?

as AV says, the cheapest way is to only boil the amount of water you need (you don't boil a full kettle for one cup of coffee), so heating & keeping a tank at nearly boiling point on the off chance you want a coffee is hardly MSE now is it ?
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • Cash-Cow_3
    Cash-Cow_3 Posts: 311 Forumite
    They are an expensive gadget but add a bit of wow to a higher end kitchen. Ive got one and like it a lot. It's certainly not money saving due to high purchase cost up front but if I recall running costs are lower than a kettle.

I think they are a lot safer than kettles which can be pulled off work surfaces or pouring accidents.
    I'm retiring at 55. You can but dream.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    I did not intend to upset ryder72 - so apologies.

I thought my question was "reasonably valid". Most of us are used to the concept of risk assessments. Would a child, elderly, disabled, dementia sufferer etc recognise the "gushing noise" and realise they could be scalded? Would they realise the water came out hotter than a normal tap? Would they recognise it was not a normal tap?

My instinct is many work and home environments would either not allow a Quooker, or have a prominent warning sign attached to it.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    you don't boil a full kettle for one cup of coffee
    You certainly don't, you heat it to 80 or 90 deg C, no more.

These devices are therefore no good to a coffee drinker but they may have a use if you drink gallons of tea a day.

I came across one ten years ago in the US and, to be honest, it scared me!
  • Avoriaz
    Cash-Cow wrote: »
    They are an expensive gadget but add a bit of wow to a higher end kitchen. Ive got one and like it a lot. It's certainly not money saving due to high purchase cost up front but if I recall running costs are lower than a kettle.

I think they are a lot safer than kettles which can be pulled off work surfaces or pouring accidents.
    I really don't see how that is possible unless it is in more or less constant use.

We use our kettle maybe four or five times a day at most. We only boil what we need. Maybe half the energy used is wasted heating the kettle itself rather than the water but it isn't sitting there slowly leaking heat all day.
  • Avoriaz
    Biggles wrote: »
    You certainly don't, you heat it to 80 or 90 deg C, no more.

These devices are therefore no good to a coffee drinker but they may have a use if you drink gallons of tea a day.

I came across one ten years ago in the US and, to be honest, it scared me!
    I'm not a coffee drinker.

Is 80 to 90 degrees C recommended for coffee?

I make tea with tea leaves rather than tea bags. I preheat the pot or the infuser and use boiling water.
  • keystone wrote: »
    I think they are an expensive gimmick to be honest.

Agree - and despite what the TV advert says/shows you don't make decent coffee with boiling water !!

Boiling water releases the acids in coffee and makes it bitter - unless you are on instant then it tastes awful anyway..........:rotfl:
  • Interested in what child-safe measures they have?

My kids are very capable of doing most things and over-riding so called "childproof" designs - Little worried about a tap that fires out boiling water!

As I don't drink/make hot-drinks it's never likely to cause problems for me - but just wondering?

7MbkM.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport