Letter from "Red Debt Collection Services" - I'm convinced it's not mine!

Comments

• HELP! I have received a letter from 'Red debt collection services' on a very old 3G mobile and know for a fact this was paid about 3 years ago but I cannot prove it now cause I no longer have papers. what would be my next course of action can anyone advise? Thank you
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    There have been a whole raft of these recently.

Will ferret out the threads.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Apologies if I have posted this question wrongly, but first time contributing to the site.

I have received letters at my address from Red Debt Collection and now Hamptons for a debt which is purported to be my son's. He does not live at this address and hasn't for some years. He acknowledges that he had a 3G contract and due to the outstandingly bad service cancelled the contract and returned the phone. This "debt" for £108.68 has gone from Lowell Portfolio Limited to Red Debt Collection and the latest letter is Hamptons Legal. I understand from other websites these people are all the same company. What I would like to ask is shall I just keep returning the letters as not at this address, am I under any obligation to provide contact details. I did ring Red Debt when the 1st letter arrived and informed them he was not at this address and refused to give a forwarding address or telephone number where they could contact him. I would appreciate this forum's views on further action.
  • GeorgeUK
    GeorgeUK Posts: 7,737 Forumite
    Hi Lynette

You are quite right that you are not obliged to give any details to these organisations. If your son is having trouble with credit however it may be better to try to deal with these people head on rather than let them put these debts on his credit file.

If it isn't causing him any problems right now - i would just continue with what you are currently doing.
    After falling off the gambling wagon (twice): £33,600 (24,000+ 9,600) - Original CC Debt: £7,885.91

Dad Gift 6k ¦ Savings & Inv Tst: £2,500
    Loan 10k: £0 ¦ Dad 5.5k: £2,270 ¦ LTSB: £0 ¦ RBS: £0 ¦ Virgin £0 ¦ Egg £0

Total Owed: £2,270 (+6k) 11/08/2011
  • My son is concerned about the credit file situation, as this debt affected his credit file when first with 3G, when suggesting dealing with Red Debt head on, what do you consider is the best course of action? It seems unfair that 3G get away with providing such appalling service and then sell the debt on, when it is difficult to prove the reason for non-payment.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
  • GeorgeUK
    GeorgeUK Posts: 7,737 Forumite
    Is this the only debt that DCA's will be trying to chase?

Before you pay a debt, you need to be sure that the debt is yours so if there are no other nasty debts lurking, i would request a copy of the credit report to see what is on it and write to hamptons using one of the template letters here which states that he acknowledges no debt to the company. He will then require proof that the debt is his.

If the last payment made towards the debt is more than 6 years ago, the debt may be statute barred and unenforcable. Does he know when the last payment or written acknowledgement of the debt was?
    After falling off the gambling wagon (twice): £33,600 (24,000+ 9,600) - Original CC Debt: £7,885.91

Dad Gift 6k ¦ Savings & Inv Tst: £2,500
    Loan 10k: £0 ¦ Dad 5.5k: £2,270 ¦ LTSB: £0 ¦ RBS: £0 ¦ Virgin £0 ¦ Egg £0

Total Owed: £2,270 (+6k) 11/08/2011
  • i myself have recieved a letter from red collection this week who rekon i owe 2500.00 from an account with natwest at an address supplied by experian where ive never lived and my d.o.b is the wrong month,

ive found a template on here that ive copied and changed to suit me and im posting back to them ill keep you up 2 date!
  • join experian on a 30 day trial but make sure you cancel it before your trial has ended or theyll make you pay 6.95 a month, then go on to his file and apply a change of address and appy to have it taken off.

i have done this last week and already my score has gone from poor to good!

its alot of messing about but seemed the only option avalible to me!
    x
  • I`ve been having fun with these guys, keep getting letters, and they don`t reply to any of mine sent recorded. I`ve just hit them with a subject access request. I`m hoping to use there own paperwork to prove that they have broken the csa`s code of conduct. I no doubt they will just cash the cheque and ignore the request (hope so, then its also a complaint to the information commisioner as well) I`ll report back when I have all their paperwork, recordings and a couple of other bits and pieces I have requested.
    I would recommend everybody ask for one, its only a tenner, but will cost them more to produce :o)

BTW CSA arn`t really interested in complaints about their members unless I can prove a breach of the code, so I will give them plenty of evedence) I`m sure they will get annoyed with multiple complaints ;)

PS the other way to annoy red is to ask for a copy of their formal complaint procedure, they will try and say anything to avoid them having to send it out snail mail, do accept emails, stamps cost them money!
  • You will find that Red, Lowell, and Hamptons Legal, have similar post codes of LS11 and then 1BG or 9WR or 9WS. Google Earth all locate them within the same office block.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure