We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Comments

• alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    post away BD... reminds me of my old labs sister.. all good souls gone to a good place in our hearts..
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    BD - what a beautiful dog & what great & loyal dogs labs are. A friend has about four - they seem to look after others & I think they just lost their ole girl one & won't hear of having any other breed.

It would be good if you find another to give a good home to as I'm sure there are plenty in need of such a good spot as you gave.

It's sore when they pass over. They do leave a quiet gap. It's the quietness that got me when the old cats had gone.
    Hairy cat is settling in, but still is a bit of damaged goods - has issues - I expect he always will. Wouldn't leave him alone with a child. He can be a right wee biter.

Got the bedroom windows re-coated & another coat on one wall in loo, but that is the last one & it's still streaky =- I just think it's the way the paint was mixed up with white to lighten it. It's not too bad, but it is ridiculous how many coats I've done in there.

No word from Plumber.I think he's on a bender....................
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Beautiful pic of Jet, BD :A FIL had a wonderful Lab (Molly) who was a huge comfort to him after MIL passed away. She accompanied him on camping trips right up to his 81st year, until he had to go into a home due to vascular dementia and she went to live with my SIL. Molly used to accompany the family on visits to him in the home where all the residents made a fuss of her......

Hope your plumber resurfaces soon Choille :o
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Our biggest mistake is to fall in love with houses and let our hearts rule our heads....something I'd strongly caution anyone against when house-buying!

I think you've done wonders, but if the partnership can agree on most things, it's more productive. You have come through a huge amount together in a short space of time...and survived.:A

In our case, we haven't always sung from the same hymn sheet, which has made our journey rougher and rather less light-hearted than intended. If there hadn't been family interference about where we should buy in the first place, none of this heavy-duty building should have been necessary. It's the gardening/smallholding we enjoy. We're not natural builders at all.:o

Those who've been on this thread a while know this area was 40 years in my past. I'd put it into a box marked 'Devon' and didn't intend to re-open it, so coming here at my time of life wasn't the brightest move! :o

It was my fault; I shouldn't have been soft and swayed so easily by a bargain, though at the time this wasn't meant as more than Free Parking in the property Monopoly game.

But then, like Topsy, "it just growed," not in a bad way, either. I'm much better-minded about the house and location than I was a few years ago, but I don't allow myself to love it. That's because, even with a generous dollop of good luck, we won't want it all 'forever.' One day, it'll be a burden, then a worry, but at least it should soon be easy to sell, whenever that time arrives.

I think CTC has got it bang-on. It's all about knowing where the 'point of contentment' (brilliant phrase!) might lie, and then recognising it, which is why she'll still be at The Ranch long after we've left here. ;) :T
  • Davesnave
    I was out last night, taking DW's place at the local garden club. because the prospect of listening to a self-made nurseryman sounded interesting, especially as he was bringing plants! :D

He rambled on for a bit about his early days in horticulture, but then started to describe his own nursery, which sounded idyllic.

"We have a bungalow, right in the centre of the nursery," he went on, "so I can pop out early mornings at this time of year, or stay late into the evenings, without worrying about driving home."

By now I was distinctly jealous...:o

"Of course," he added, "we have to be well-placed for communications, so we're beside the A30 dual carriageway, not far from the airport and the M5 junction....":eek:

There's always a compromise! :rotfl:
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    morning all...
    there I was dreaming sweet dreams in my cosy bed this morning waiting for birdsong to raise my eyelids gently......... then 7.30am , I sat bolt upright to the orchesteral sounds of a gurt big hedge cutter attacking the long hedge on the track.. :eek:

gotta compromise somewhere ;)

I actually look out from my bedroom window every morning and see the fields in different seasons and :D
  • Davesnave
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    I sat bolt upright to the orchesteral sounds of a gurt big hedge cutter attacking the long hedge on the track.. :eek:
    Isn't it a bit early in the year?

:naughty:Round here, we're not allowed to do hedge cutting at all in mid-summer, unless it's necessary for safety on the public roads.
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Isn't it a bit early in the year?

:naughty:Round here, we're not allowed to do hedge cutting at all in mid-summer, unless it's necessary for safety on the public roads.

its the hedge between me and the track and i thoroughly checked for nests etc. it has become very prolific this year and needed to be "tamed".. we never cut them in the early breeding months.:D
    it was more the keen 7.30 am that got me ....
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Interesting point CTC did make about Point Of Contentment - I think that it is about compromise too. I wouldn't be able to afford what we have land wise anywhere else, I don't think. But it is too in the middle of where really - although I love the wilderness, & we are one of the last ones in Europe, & especially my croft if I don't get the grass cut!
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Davesnave wrote: »
    I think you've done wonders, but if the partnership can agree on most things, it's more productive. You have come through a huge amount together in a short space of time...and survived.:A

Thank you so much Dave, that means a lot to me :A

I really admire your *gumption* and wish we'd had the guts to do something similar. Not allowing yourself to love the house is very sensible imho :o
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport