We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    edited 29 June 2015 at 10:23PM
    Options
    Fish are costing me a fortune...all be it a lot less than a cat or dog.

When I got home from work they were noticeably agitated which I suspected was stress caused by ammonia in the water. Anyhow, 30% water change and they were all happy again.

Now I need to buy a water test kit, plus more chemicals to remove chlorine from tap water, plus got a 99p bucket from b&m in case the ones in the house were contaminated with detergents etc. I'll keep the filled bucket in the conservatory to take the chill off the water and also let it degas before use.

The fish have already learned that the top hatch opening probably means food and rush up to water surface. :D

Anyhow while at b&m picked up a good sized metal trellis which I hope to use to train the "rescue" passionflower after it's flowered.
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd like a bed a little like this

http://www.designbuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/tree-bed_2112.jpg

But, er, gilded. Don' ask for much eh? Then hung with lace or very fine silk curtains for summer,

Fabulous LIR. I could live with that. I have an engraving of a bird & trees that looks so like that bed it's spooky. If you get the bed I'll give you it. That' a dare.
  • choille
    Options
    Some bed that Alfie - amazing to see that such work is still being done. Love to see that craftmanhip is still alive.

I knew the glastonberries was a joke Dave, just wanted to see you squirm.

Sorry about your ebay non sale. I have so much listed it' mad & nowt is selling. It's pretty dead sales wise. I've not listed owt & it's free listing, just relisting stuff as it's not inspiring at the mo.

I am sorry to hear about your water IHS - mains water is disgusting. I'm glad I'm not on the mains, it brings me out in a rash.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    choille wrote: »
    Fabulous LIR. I could live with that. I have an engraving of a bird & trees that looks so like that bed it's spooky. If you get the bed I'll give you it. That' a dare.

Lol.

If i do it will be in a decade or so. My tastes might have changes. They might be making even better ones!

I once saw a bed in a very posh antique shop, not far from where phoebe used to live but think it closed before she moved to the area. Quarter of a million. Covered in silver. We were quite good terms with owner, ( though certainly not regular shoppers) and I had great fun siting on the bed.
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've calmed down a bit from eRlier but today seems to have been one grumpy thing from another. The last nail in my grumpy coffin, was driving past some houses they are building on a beautiful field in the ugly little town we live near to take fir to the station to night I saw they have cut down the Rowans on the road side. These would have given the build some softening, were on the other side of a ditch, AND I love because I always think of choille as I drive past them. They have at least left all the dog roses, but if the protected dog roses are staying seems all the more read on the Rowans could have too. How nice it would have been for people moving I to new boxy homes, to look out on not huge but not baby trees and feel less raw and more 'grounded'.
  • choille
    Options
    Here Rowans have a high regard. They plant them at the gateways a they are believed to protect the home.

Beds - A very posh hotel has a replica of Napolians bed - all swans & gilding - it looks rather tatty I think. They also have a bed that you could almost live in - it' huge & they've asked someone we know if they could store it - they are always changing themes - I said they could always rent it out as it's so damn big.
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Maybe it will make sense later. The rest of the heavy new building in tiny tinny town has been really WELL treed which is partly why this was so ...horrid. Among best new build tree planting I've seen infact, dense, plentiful, a bit toy town ish. Makes up a bit for the rather grim looking housing. In autumn the trees really are glorious, which really IS something for people. Now, and in spring they are lush, and shielding, even in winter they give architecture and some privacy.

Or maybe it isn't. Maybe few of us care any more!
  • choille
    Options
    No, I do think it does make a huge difference. Thing is developers often get their own wicked way & it is all flagged through if they do the 'social, affordable part' on a prime development. Planners can insist on planting, but they often don't, or don't follow up to make sure they aren't just planting twigs.

With water tables so high it should be compulsory as should not allowing paviers. We need trees & hedges. So much softer on the eye in towns & also helps cuts down traffic noise. Gives homes to birds & insects & helps biodiversity, carbon capture - Yes, I love trees!
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Urgh.

Kiwi was curled up with me last night when a small spider ran over him. Now, most dogs might ignore this or eat it. Not my rough tough killer terrier. Apparently a weak spot is spiders. He leapt up, started barking and ran out, ran around the house barking. Dog dog, walked over, ate it and got into his spot. We thought he'd calm down.

But he continued to bark on and off all night. I feel like I spend the night being dragged around the fields on the back of a harrow
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    morning all..
    dare I say it but its a corker too !

friends gardeners turned up this morning and the mountain of debris from tree cutting has all been shifted ... last seen stacked high on a big trailer trundling up the lane :D
    I can see what im doing next now.. started to weed the front rose bed early this morning but am now off to work.. will resume later.

have a good day everyone
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure