Electric heating or new central heating installation?

2»

Comments

• badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Having a "proper" central heating system installed increases the market for your flat, which in turn increases the possible price. It also increases your own personal comfort for the time you remain. A win win situation to me, but then I am somewhat older & never ever want to wake up again to a glass of water frozen by my bedside etc ever again.
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    £4500 for the fitting of a CH system seems a very expensive quote just for a small flat..
    Why not source a reliable make of boiler at the best UK prices available yourself ?.Buy your own rads, they are not expensive
    That would be less than £800 for a Valiant, or Worcester Bosch and finding someone to fit it for less than £2k. They can fit it in a couple of days if they know what they are doing.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    As above, £4.5K for an install with an existing gas supply is way OTT.
    If that quote was from BG, then you can get it for about 40% less via an independent GSR RGI.
    There's no guarantee that you'll get your investment back in 14 months though, so I'd leave well alone.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Thanks guys, as for the £4500 I also thought it is way too much for a small flat. I got 3 quotes from independent plumbers and this was the "lowest" quote I got. I also got one from BG which was just over £7000.

FYI - This 4500 includes around £500 for the solicitor fees etc which I will have to pay to get permission from the freeholder in order to carry out the work.
    Marriage is hard. Divorce is hard. Choose your hard.
    Obesity is hard. Being fit is hard. Choose your hard.
    Being in debt is hard. Being financially disciplined is hard. Choose your hard.
    Communication is hard. Not communicating is hard. Choose your hard.
    Life will never be easy. It will always be hard. But you can choose your hard.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure