Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Tui/Thomson ONLY

Options

Comments

• JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 December 2017 at 1:54PM
    Options
    I think peachyprice is disagreeing with the concept of Botts always being correct, not the OPs query.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    I think peachyprice is disgarreing with the concept of Botts always being correct, not the OPs query.

Fair point. It isn't like them to miss a trick though. They're the first to jump up and down when there's a court ruling they don't agree with, just because it will affect their income because of having less customers to extract large sums of money from :rotfl:
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I had a letter in the post today from TUI, apart from the booking reference, case reference, issue date, & my name & address, the main body just says Dear .... THANK YOU. At the bottom it has TUI Customer Contact Team email: Aftertravel.flightdelay@tui.co.uk

So I'm wondering if this looks very promising, or is it just a standard letter?
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DUKE wrote: »
    I had a letter in the post today from TUI, apart from the booking reference, case reference, issue date, & my name & address, the main body just says Dear .... THANK YOU. At the bottom it has TUI Customer Contact Team email: Aftertravel.flightdelay@tui.co.uk

So I'm wondering if this looks very promising, or is it just a standard letter?

Sounds like a 'cut and paste' gone wrong.

I wouldn't read too much into it.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • JPears
    Options
    I don't he/she can.... ;)

• Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fair point. It isn't like them to miss a trick though. They're the first to jump up and down when there's a court ruling they don't agree with, just because it will affect their income because of having less customers to extract large sums of money from :rotfl:

I have a different view of Botts. I never used them, and won my case through my own efforts (with support from people here). But I recognise that it was Botts who took the airlines to the highest UK court to demonstrate - in two critical cases - that the airlines were misapplying the regulation to the detriment of their passengers.

Characterising them as ambulance chasers is just silly, to be honest. Of course they are not a charity, and have done what they've done for commercial self-interest. But Botts' victories have made it much more straightforward for passengers to chase the airlines directly.

If the airlines paid up when they should do, there wouldn't be any need for these firms' services in the first place. If there is an industry here to dislike (and I agree that some of it does seem disreputable) it was created by the airlines' own behaviour.
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    Vauban wrote: »
    I have a different view of Botts. I never used them, and won my case through my own efforts (with support from people here). But I recognise that it was Botts who took the airlines to the highest UK court to demonstrate - in two critical cases - that the airlines were misapplying the regulation to the detriment of their passengers.

Characterising them as ambulance chasers is just silly, to be honest. Of course they are not a charity, and have done what they've done for commercial self-interest. But Botts' victories have made it much more straightforward for passengers to chase the airlines directly.

If the airlines paid up when they should do, there wouldn't be any need for these firms' services in the first place. If there is an industry here to dislike (and I agree that some of it does seem disreputable) it was created by the airlines' own behaviour.

I guess we'll have to disagree because I can't see Bott and their ilk as anything else. They just fuel the ugly growing compesantion culture in this country. Then again I don't agree with EU261 compensation in its present form. Compensation levels are too high for what are relatively short delays. Perhaps if the EU pen pushers who came up with them hadn't made them so disproportionate then airlines would be more willing to pay out?

Personally I've made one claim several years ago for a 12.5 hr delay. Claims companies encourage you to do so just so they can make money. I would never help them to make money. I claimed myself, got the compensation in my account and then gave the €1200 (which was less than the flights cost) to our local hospice. We've had many short delays, up to about 6 hrs but I think claiming more than you paid for the flights is just wrong on every level, whether entitled to it or not.

Would I claim again? Probably not unless it was a long delay and the compensation was considerably less than the flights cost.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I guess we'll have to disagree because I can't see Bott and their ilk as anything else. They just fuel the ugly growing compesantion culture in this country. Then again I don't agree with EU261 compensation in its present form. Compensation levels are too high for what are relatively short delays. Perhaps if the EU pen pushers who came up with them hadn't made them so disproportionate then airlines would be more willing to pay out?

Personally I've made one claim several years ago for a 12.5 hr delay. Claims companies encourage you to do so just so they can make money. I would never help them to make money. I claimed myself, got the compensation in my account and then gave the €1200 (which was less than the flights cost) to our local hospice. We've had many short delays, up to about 6 hrs but I think claiming more than you paid for the flights is just wrong on every level, whether entitled to it or not.

Would I claim again? Probably not unless it was a long delay and the compensation was considerably less than the flights cost.

Nice to see that not everyone is aboard the claims culture bandwagon that has appeared in this country.You are right that even if a plane is delayed why should someone get a hell of a lot more than they paid for the flight,only my opinion but stand by it.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • bevans
    Options
    Hi all
    I have searched but come up with nothing.
    We booked a TUI holiday with flight times that suited. It was only for a week and on the third/fourth day the return flight was alter from 1100hrs to 1900hrs. We were informed by another couple who had an email from TUI. The Rep was of no help and no reason was ever given for the change. The change meant we had to pay extra for a meal, extra parking ,messed up work arrangements etc.
    TUI will not discuss this matter any more after a second email that said nothing really.
    I wanted to know from them when the return flight time was altered and when they knew. As expected they did not tell me nor did they actually discuss it it their two replies.
    Does anyone know of where I can get this information from??

many thanks

brian
  • JPears
    Options
    Did you book the TUI holiday direct with TUI?
    If so then it is most likely you are due compensation under reg 261/2004 as the onus is on them to inform you of the change in flight times.
    If they did so with less than 2 weeks notice (how soon before the flight did the other couple get their email?) then you are due compensation.
    You can also claim the additional food and drink (non alcohol) costs as long as you have the receipts.
    What were the dates and flight numbers/destinations etc?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport