Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on

Comments

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Well, we have some progress :j :j

Building society is fine with the 40p thing and is writing to the solicitor to confirm :j

We're booked in to see solicitor on Thursday afternoon to sign everything :eek: :j

Sellers have said boiler works fine but water pressure sometimes just drops a bit. Numerous youtube videos by plumbers confirm this is common and easy to fix. Tried all day to get hold of our cheery heating bloke for advice but phone disconnected and I'm concerned he may have retired :eek:

Going to try a different one tomorrow, and arrange a final viewing of the house to measure up etc in the next couple of days.

Starting to feel like we MAY just be getting somewhere! Woo hoo! :j

(Still not holding my breath though :rotfl: )
  • Cheery_Daff
    Evening MSE chums :hello:

Well, we have signed all our documents :j :j Including the pesky mortgage offer :j :j I can't tell you how relieved I am :D Although I am aware we're not *quite* there yet - final visit on Monday with a heating engineer to allay Mr Cheery's fears about the boiler's error code... Also need to check the serial number on a telegraph pole and shut the gate to keep the cows out :rotfl: Solicitor has one final (small, easily answerable) question for the vendors' solicitor and that's it :j

Reckons we should at least have a date for exchange/completion within the next week :eek:

My mum picked up the keys to her new flat today (she's switching her council house for a smaller flat with no garden) so it's all change in our family at the minute :eek: She's giving 4 weeks notice on her current place (and using it to decorate the new one) so we're currently engaged in a race to see who will move first... :rotfl:

I reckon I deserve to win - we've been working towards moving since we had our first appointment with a mortgage adviser in January 2015 :eek: :o :rotfl:
  • Cheery_Daff
    Yeah, well, that all went wrong... :eek:

Had a call this morning to say our buyer's house is back on the market :eek: Their buyers demanded a large drop in price (presumably trying it on now they know we're all ready) and our buyers (rightly, in my opinion) told them to !!!! off.

So they're back on the market - still want to buy our house but right this second not in a position to...

We were distraught earlier, having had less than 24 hours of thinking things were actually going well... :mad: But now we're a bit more resigned... Going to visit new place on Monday, and fess up to estate agent. We'd like to give our buyers a short time to find new buyers rather than re-market ourselves (they sold within a week last time - I REALLY don't want to re-market as we are completely full of boxes now! :eek: )

Sellers might not like it - but realistically given the state of their house, and its ludicrously rural location, our buyers are FAR more likely to find a new buyer more quickly than them... So they can stick it back on the market if they like but I can't imagine they'll find anyone who'll come to completion more quickly than us now...

Hey ho. Can't do much tonight anyway, and it's our 12 year anniversary so naturally I'm !!!!ing round on the internet while Mr Cheery has a bath :rotfl: Might sort out YNAB - neglected it in the flurry of the last couple of weeks... :eek:
  • Glad to hear you sounding more calm about things now lovely. It WILL all work out, and I'm pretty sure that whatever happens will be for the best in the long term. I can't imagine for a moment your sellers will want to re-market for exactly all the reasons you've said.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Cheery_Daff
    Indeed. I very much doubt they'd find another buyer who wouldn't take one look at the survey and run a mile! :eek: I confess even I baulked when I finally got the paper copy this afternoon and I already knew what was in it :eek: :o :rotfl:

Landed up in the bath myself (once Mr Cheery had removed himself...) so no YNAB but I *will* get round to it tomorrow...
  • Oh cheery, it really has been a roller coaster for you. I dislike people who go back on a deal like that, and would also have told them where to go but painful for you all.
  • Oh, Cheery - all I can say is that you are handling this all A.L.O.T better than I ever would. I do hope that your buyer's house is snapped up again by someone else. Possibly if it went quickly last time, there may have been other contenders that put in offers? The EA could still have their details on file.

I wish my parentals would be as proactive as your mum is being with her housing. I'd much rather mine were in a manageable home - possibly a bungalow with a pocket kerchief of garden, even though the gardening parental is already struggling with what they've got. I certainly know where i get my stubborness from......... :rotfl:

K.B.O and have the strength to belief all will be well in the end :D

Greying XX
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £184.08/215
    Non-food household spend April £27.83/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Cheery_Daff
    Thanks folks :kisses3: (Greying, er, what does K.B.O. mean? :o Keep Buttling On? :D )

I think I feel a whole lot more jolly about this than the mortgage fiasco because there's no way that this can be interpreted as being *my* fault, so I feel capable of dealing with it like an adult :D :rotfl: Anyway, we'll see how I feel about that when I have to talk to the seller's estate agent on Monday morning... :o :rotfl:

YNAB FINALLY done, and as it's been a couple of weeks my purse was literally stuffed to the gills with receipts :eek: and I ended up putting £56 in the budget fiddling category :eek: Some of that was DEFINITELY cafes - in fact I handed over £4.80 in a cafe today and that never went into YNAB (I only just remembered :o ) so I suspect that's the vast majority of it :eek:

I suppose there are more unhealthy (and expensive) habits but that's definitely one area where we could cut down. Not right now though - tis a small but significant stress release at a difficult time :o

Anyway, YNAB looking good :j Transferred £1300 into the Patchwork Fund - if we do end up moving before Christmas some of that will have to come back out to cover the first mortgage payment :eek: but if we end up staying put til after Christmas, that's a nice wodge added to the emergency fund :j :j :j

So, currently have enough funds to cover all moving expenses, fees and stamp duty in one account :j

Just under £5000 in emergency fund (and, fingers crossed, another £5000 to add that we reserved from the house sale *just in case* so that'll be a good 6 months of expenses at least :j :j Happy about that.

All normal pots for annual bills (car tax, house insurance etc) topped up and looking good. Quite a few things due in January so really hoping we can move before they fall else I'm going to have to sort everything twice or pay admin fees for changing addresses :mad:

£250 in Christmas fund - may not spend all of this but it'll buy food for Christmas week too (and also some treats to console us for not having moved before Christmas :o )

£250 in dentist fund - think I can probably stop adding to this now :rotfl: But at least it'll cover us if one of us needs a crown :eek:

£174 in replacement car fund - we're not planning to replace, but we *are* planning to get a second car once we move :eek: Obviously this won't quite cover it :rotfl: but we're just after a cheap runaround so it might at least cover the extra insurance/tax :j

Usually put £12 a month into the house insurance pot but I've added an extra £50 this month as I suspect house insurance is going to much higher at the new house :eek: For a start there are a couple of trees quite close, and we have footpaths so the solicitor has advised legal cover too :eek:

Anyway, enough thinking about finances for one night - we're off to a friend's house for a party :j
  • Thanks folks :kisses3: (Greying, er, what does K.B.O. mean? :oKeep Buttling On? :D )

Well, I think your version spiffing and more fitting...... :D But Winston Churchy's version was somewhat of the more Anglo Saxon vernacular.........;)

Greying XX
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £184.08/215
    Non-food household spend April £27.83/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Cheery_Daff
    Aha, I have found what you are referring to :D Think I'll stick with my version though :rotfl: :rotfl: :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure